California -Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Little snow pack and no rain. Your talking out of your condumb ass. You cannot save what you don't get. Very simple. Why cannot you get a hold of that idea.
    Dams trap decades worth of water flow in reservoirs. During wet years, they trap more water, during dry years they trap less water.

You don't build a dam to catch this year's rainfall and snow runoff simply to use it this year.

During El Niño years, California receives excess precipitation. You build the dam so that you can store up water during wet years, in order to expend it during dry years.

Furthermore, you build the dam where you have a source of water and then pipeline it to places that need water.

You build the dams to trap water flowing out of the blue and green areas to use it in the yellow and red areas.

This is basic engineering geology.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Little snow pack and no rain. Your talking out of your condumb ass. You cannot save what you don't get. Very simple. Why cannot you get a hold of that idea.
      Snow pack in Colorado and Northern Arizona this year have been at "normal" levels. So, while lake levels are low in Arizona there is no major effort going to force conservation of water like California is doing. This is because Arizona has done far more to put measures in place to weather a drought than California.
      That is the point I'm getting at. California wouldn't be facing severe water shortages if they hadn't stopped doing things to ensure an adequate supply.
      The problem isn't that there is a drought. Droughts happen. Everybody knows that. They come and go.
      How you handle them is what is at issue here. California did little to nothing to prepare the state for a future drought due mainly to opposition from environmentalists. They relied on borrowed water from Nevada and Arizona instead.
      Now, they face severe shortages in drought conditions because of their shortsighted lack of planning.
      As the drought eases, and it is, Arizona and Nevada will recover and do so fairly quickly. California may not recover at all. But, that is due to their own stupidity and little else.

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post
        You appear to be increasingly frustrated, Davey, by your inability to get me to shovel your 2013 turkeysquaddle.

You just have to do your own shifting of your previous bombastic tub thumps.

theres no "free lunch".
        Instead of lying about what I have posted, quote the post in which I supposedly claimed "that California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014."
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
          Instead of lying about what I have posted, quote the post in which I supposedly claimed "that California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014."
          Awwww- poooor Davey.

I posted a sampler of your California climate bummers. Shovelling your 39,000 posts of catscat is YOUR job

Get to it.
          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Awwww- poooor Davey.

I posted a sampler of your California climate bummers. Shovelling your 39,000 posts of catscat is YOUR job

Get to it.

Comment

The recent rains have brought most of California into short-term balance...

The long-term recovery will require the ENSO to shift into an El Niño-dominant phase.
              You obviously never farmed. The Palmer index is 'short term crop surface moisture.'

Bad day, Davey? You seem rather 'peckish'.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                As a battle of wits, this lacks suspense.

One side is unarmed.

Moving on...maybe Doc would like to comment on these two articles from ideologically opposite poles (ugh I hate when science questions are politicised) claim there is no drought in California.

First article, some local newssite the author - looking at his other posts seems to be pro GOP and business and anti-Governor Brown.
                http://halfwaytoconcord.com/drought-in-california/

There is a phony drought in California. California has no shortage of water. The shortage is a lack of brain power and political will in Sacramento and Washington, D.C.
                In California, 80 percent of all water goes for agricultural purposes. The remaining 20 percent goes for municipal and industrial use. In numerical terms, 39 million acre-feet go for farming, leaving 9 million acre-feet for municipal and industrial use. These 9 million acre-feet are enough for 45 million people.
                Thus, agriculture is the water hog. Powerful agricultural interests argue that farming creates food for people and that water for farms must be protected.
                However, much of California agriculture is used for specialty crops like almonds and avocadoes. A small amount of farm water goes for cotton and rice.
                Enjoyable as almonds and avocadoes may be, these foods are not essential for human nutrition.
                Although I don't think cotton is essential for nutrition either.

Next is from Earth First Newswire and I think we can assume what slant they have.

http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswir...ed-water-ways/

California is the fruit basket of the United States, producing nearly half of all domestically-grown fruits, nuts, and vegetables. Farms use a huge 80% of the state’s “developed water,” or water that is diverted from rivers and aquifers and into pipes and aqueducts for human use. Corporate agribusiness donated $850 thousand to the Prop 1 campaign. Obviously, this is no coincidence. That contribution—which may seem large—is actually quite small when compared to the profits derived from the heavily irrigated farms of the Central Valley. In 2012, the state’s agricultural exports brought in $18.8 billion.
                The rest of the article is typical anarcho-primitivism nonsense.

Both claim the water problem is caused by intensive agriculture. I have to say that seems to make sense to me, if water use patterns have already been posted I am sorry it is late and I am tired.

Comment

You obviously never farmed. The Palmer index is 'short term crop surface moisture.'
                  Crop Moisture Index: Derived from the Palmer, the Crop Moisture Index reflects moisture supply in the short-term across major crop-producing regions. It identifies potential agricultural droughts. It is not intended to assess long-term droughts.

California's Crop Moisture Index is near normal...

PDSI, "primarily reflects long-term drought." It is one of several Palmer indicies...
                  The PDSI is a meteorological drought index, and it responds to weather conditions that have been abnormally dry or abnormally wet. When conditions change from dry to normal or wet, for example, the drought measured by the PDSI ends without taking into account streamflow, lake and reservoir levels, and other longer-term hydrologic impacts (Karl and Knight, 1985). The PDSI is calculated based on precipitation and temperature data, as well as the local Available Water Content (AWC) of the soil. From the inputs, all the basic terms of the water balance equation can be determined, including evapotranspiration, soil recharge, runoff, and moisture loss from the surface layer. Human impacts on the water balance, such as irrigation, are not considered. Complete descriptions of the equations can be found in the original study by Palmer (1965) and in the more recent analysis by Alley (1984).
                  http://drought.unl.edu/Planning/Moni...ntro/PDSI.aspx

PDSI indicates drought conditions over much of California...

The Palmer Z Index is a short term measure. The Palmer Drought Index and Palmer Hydrological Index are long-term measures.

Last edited by The Doctor; 02 Mar 15, 19:49.

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post

Moving on...maybe Doc would like to comment on these two articles from ideologically opposite poles (ugh I hate when science questions are politicised) claim there is no drought in California.

First article, some local newssite the author - looking at his other posts seems to be pro GOP and business and anti-Governor Brown.
                    http://halfwaytoconcord.com/drought-in-california/

Although I don't think cotton is essential for nutrition either.

Next is from Earth First Newswire and I think we can assume what slant they have.

http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswir...ed-water-ways/

The rest of the article is typical anarcho-primitivism nonsense.

Both claim the water problem is caused by intensive agriculture. I have to say that seems to make sense to me, if water use patterns have already been posted I am sorry it is late and I am tired.
                    The desire for intensive agriculture was the motivation to build lots of dams and reservoirs from the 1920's through the 1960's. Without enhanced irrigation, the US would never have become the world leader in food production.

Comment

Imo its all the illegals cramming themselves into houses like clown cars. Unrestricted illegal immigration leads to overwhelming water usage.

Not farming...
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Are you saying the illegals actual bathe?

Snow pack in Colorado, BTW, is "adequate", but not "normal".

It hasn't been "normal" for decades, which is why the major ski resorts all have installed snow-making equipment...which uses one hell of a lot of water.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Are you saying the illegals actual bathe?
                          Nah, he's implying they lap water out of the toilet like a cocker spaniel would...

Comment

More docTOCK....

Going back to June 16/2014, by which time our lil poster boy for plutocracy should have 'figured it out'...

------------------------------------------------

[B]Originally Posted by marktwain View Post
                            That the Western United States is gripped in the "Worst prolonged drought in Living Memory, and fi that drought...[......]

There is no trend in drought patterns. The current drought is part of a long-standing cyclical pattern related to the ENSO...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Last edited by The Doctor; 21 Jun 14 at 15:06.. [/I]

No drought, eh,DOC?

Comment

Going back to June 16/2014, by which time our lil poster boy for plutocracy should have 'figured it out'...

------------------------------------------------

[B]Originally Posted by marktwain View Post
                              That the Western United States is gripped in the "Worst prolonged drought in Living Memory, and fi that drought...[......]

There is no trend in drought patterns. The current drought is part of a long-standing cyclical pattern related to the ENSO...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Last edited by The Doctor; 21 Jun 14 at 15:06.. [/I]

No drought, eh,DOC?
                              Firstly, learn how to read. The post you half-assed tried to quote said, "There is no trend in drought patterns. The current drought is part of a long-standing cyclical pattern related to the ENSO."

Secondly, learn how to actually quote posts.

Thirdly, instead of lying about what I have posted, quote the post in which I supposedly claimed "that California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014."

Comment

We have many who believe just because it's a Stanford study...it must be all true.

Human-caused climate change is increasing drought risk in California -- boosting the odds that our current crisis will become a fixture of the future, according to a major report Stanford scientists released Monday.

"What has happened in California has been a clear warming trend over the historical record ... that probably would not have happened without humans," said Stanford climate scientist Noah Diffenbaugh.

They don't offer specific recommendations but say their findings could help California plan for the future.

http://www.mercurynews.com/drought/c...stanford-study
                                "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X