Clear All

• California -Burning

California mega-drought is the worst in 1,200 years

By Kevin Roderick | December 4, 2014 3:22 PM

Share on facebook

Share on twitter

More Sharing Services

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/20...-drought_i.php

CA-drought-12042014.jpgA new study published by the American Geophysical Union concludes that the historic record in tree rings and soil shows that the current drought gripping California is the most severe in 1,200 years and that 2014 was the worst year of all. Researchers at the University of Minnesota and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute say it's the combination of sparse snow and rainfall and higher temperatures that makes this drought worse than others. There have been periods in history with less free water falling out of the sky. And with temperatures rising well, the droughts in California and the arid West could get measurably worse. This one included.
    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

The worst part of this is that the place becomes more and more susceptible to fires over time. The longer we fight the fires, the drier the vegetation gets, the more combustible it becomes, the more resources we have to devote to firefighting, etc.

A truly uphill battle I'm afraid...

Comment

The saddest fact of all is that all of this is the result of the massive amounts of hot air constantly issuing from the California legislature, which has totally disrupted the climate.

In fact, the drought broke years ago, while my parents were still alive and living in northern California. It made all of the papers.

California is now looking for huge amounts of Federal aid, and this appears to be their way of trying to get it...by manufacturing a false "crisis" where none exists.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Who the Hell is doing the peer-review for the AGU? Al Gore?

This statement in the abstract is unsupported in the paper...
        [T]he current event is the most severe drought in the last 1200 years.

I enlarged Figure 1, the PDSI reconstruction, and circled all of the droughts that were as bad as the recent drought...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

California is getting a lot of rain these days.
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
            Actually- Uh uih...
            Breaking News

Winter Storms Do Little To Impact Drought

February 10, 2015

It's a sign of the times that when "good news" flows California's way, it nevertheless may have something to do with "bad news" water conditions. U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell announced in early February $20 million in federal funding for drought relief projects in California. http://www.doi.gov/news/pressrelease...t-response.cfm

Praising the release of Bureau of Reclamation funds, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. said: "This important investment will help us improve how we save and move water, while continuing to protect sensitive habitat and wildlife. Even with recent storms, we have a long, dry trek ahead, and a close partnership with the federal government is crucial."

http://www.water.ca.gov/waterconditions/

Comment

On the bright side, I you go back to the 2013 Debates in the 'Science' forum, we no longer have the paisley graph creator claiming that California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014....

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                The pineapple storm dumped a lot of moisture- but in a narrow band. Lake Tahoe did get much needed moisture.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/0...torm/24233131/

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post
                  On the bright side, I you go back to the 2013 Debates in the 'Science' forum, we no longer have the paisley graph creator claiming that California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014....
                  Instead of lying about what I have posted, quote the post in which I supposedly claimed this.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

California mega-drought is the worst in 1,200 years

By Kevin Roderick | December 4, 2014 3:22 PM

Share on facebook

Share on twitter

More Sharing Services

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/20...-drought_i.php

CA-drought-12042014.jpgA new study published by the American Geophysical Union concludes that the historic record in tree rings and soil shows that the current drought gripping California is the most severe in 1,200 years and that 2014 was the worst year of all. Researchers at the University of Minnesota and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute say it's the combination of sparse snow and rainfall and higher temperatures that makes this drought worse than others. There have been periods in history with less free water falling out of the sky. And with temperatures rising well, the droughts in California and the arid West could get measurably worse. This one included.
                    Man-made drought thanks to the politicians.
                    My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                      Instead of lying about what I have posted, quote the post in which I supposedly claimed this.
                      Time for you to clean your own chicken coop, doc...

Comment

Time for you to clean your own chicken coop, doc...

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                          It was torture enough the first time, DOC.

WHY don't YOU list your threads on Drought??
                          Start with the silly ones in politics central...

Comment

It was torture enough the first time, DOC.

WHY don't YOU list your threads on Drought??
                            Start with the silly ones in politics central...

Comment

Twain is right this time. Ca is in a massive drought, last year was really bad and this year looks grim.
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X