X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
    The OP is incorrect as far as the scope of the bill is concerned. The key word is Reciprocity. It deals with one states CC permit being automatically recognized in other states that also HAVE a CC permit system. It does not apply to states that to not allow CC.

That said it is an unnecessary law. The various states already have worked out which other states CC Permits they wish to recognize. No reason to not continue with those 'side' agreements.
    IIRC, since the Feds forced Illinois to adopt the CHL, every state has either a CHL or open carry.

It is a necessary law, much as the standardization of commercial DLs they hammered out years ago was necessary. It will eliminate a lot of confusion, especially in the LE field.

Leave a comment:

• Combat Engineer
    replied
    The OP is incorrect as far as the scope of the bill is concerned. The key word is Reciprocity. It deals with one states CC permit being automatically recognized in other states that also HAVE a CC permit system. It does not apply to states that to not allow CC.

That said it is an unnecessary law. The various states already have worked out which other states CC Permits they wish to recognize. No reason to not continue with those 'side' agreements.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    I personally detest gun safety courses (for me). However, to get a Texas CCH you have to attend a class that includes both safety and legal issues, and I think that that is a good idea.

Using the NRA course would keep states from forcing absurd or over-long courses upon CHL applicants in an attempt to discourage them.

So long as its not open carry, I'm for it. I hate open carry.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I hope it passes. Pax and I are working on getting our CCP's.

Funny thing about Colorado, though - if you wear your sidearm openly you do not need a permit to carry in public and you can go where want to with it.

Out here, I can target shoot in my back yard as long as I follow basic rules about having a backstop for the rounds. Since my backyard is backed by a small hill, one of the two "D-Cups" (as I call them and the whole town recongizes), I'm within the rules.

When I walk one of the dogs on BLM land, I wear a weapon on my belt in plain view and I'm never questioned. Everyone here understands that there are hostile critters in the brush and I'm being prudent. In fact, they would be far more likely to question why I wasn't carrying.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 26 Feb 15, 08:22.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Originally posted by holly6 View Post
    Not sure about your response. Can you expand?
    Bwaha saying he doesn't like the idea of nitwits running around without NRA safety training. That's always a good precursor to a gun control argument.

Leave a comment:

• holly6
    replied
    Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    I agree with both you and Tac but I'll add that many people go through the training and stop after they complete the training. I RSO at Quantico on the weekends.....there are a lot of professional yahoos out there that are more concerned about themselves and don't care what is going on to the left, right, front, and back....
    Excellent point. Training must be continued. Just coming to shoot, follow the range master's program can be very important. good post.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by holly6 View Post
    [/B][/B]
    Bold is mine. TAC, first any training is better than no training. I happen to be a Range Master. Our focus is to train individuals in firing, maintaining, and making their weapon safe at all points.
    I agree with both you and Tac but I'll add that many people go through the training and stop after they complete the training. I RSO at Quantico on the weekends.....there are a lot of professional yahoos out there that are more concerned about themselves and don't care what is going on to the left, right, front, and back....

Leave a comment:

• holly6
    replied
    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    For the record, if the only training someone has for carrying a weapon is NRA Safety Training, they're in a very sad position. And if said someone bothers to try to explain to me how to safely carry a firearm, all they've succeeded in doing is seeing how well I suppress the desire to punch them in the dick.

But then I'm highly biased considering I've been professionally carrying a firearm for a decade, and they're a safety nazi with no clue what they're actually doing, who comes to the range with that weapon they keep in their safe. The equivalent of an average joe extolling the virtues of factory supplied guards for saws to a carpenter.

Anywho.....yeah, I run into a lot of those 'NRA Safety Rules shall be followed like the Bible' sort of guys a lot.....to which I sometimes reply that 'pointing a gun in a criminal's face is a violation of the NRA Safety Rules'. Range Rules and classes don't make up for common sense, especially when it comes to wearing a sidearm out in the real world.

Bold is mine. TAC, first any training is better than no training. I happen to be a Range Master. Our focus is to train individuals in firing, maintaining, and making their weapon safe at all points.
    As far as wearing a sidearm in the real world, I would hope those qualities remain important.
    NRA training includes both short and long arms. Primarily the weapons are used for hunting purposes. Combat training is available from many different venues.
    I carry for a particular reason. That is I travel a great deal. Breaking down on a stretch of I-90-I-80 et.al. at night, I feel comfortable with a sidearm.
    It doesn't make me a better man, doesn't make me a bigger man. I solved those questions years ago.
    Hal

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    For the record, if the only training someone has for carrying a weapon is NRA Safety Training, they're in a very sad position. And if said someone bothers to try to explain to me how to safely carry a firearm, all they've succeeded in doing is seeing how well I suppress the desire to punch them in the dick.

But then I'm highly biased considering I've been professionally carrying a firearm for a decade, and they're a safety nazi with no clue what they're actually doing, who comes to the range with that weapon they keep in their safe. The equivalent of an average joe extolling the virtues of factory supplied guards for saws to a carpenter.

Anywho.....yeah, I run into a lot of those 'NRA Safety Rules shall be followed like the Bible' sort of guys a lot.....to which I sometimes reply that 'pointing a gun in a criminal's face is a violation of the NRA Safety Rules'. Range Rules and classes don't make up for common sense, especially when it comes to wearing a sidearm out in the real world.
    From what I've seen many people at ranges and such are woefully unskilled in the use of firearms. The range officers have to come around a lot telling them not to do this or that.
    Worse, most can't hit the broad side of bull's ass with a bass fiddle. I'm amazed by how poor their accuracy with a weapon is. They seem happy just hitting something.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    As to the OP, I actually put some thought to this a while ago. And here's my opinion:

The Courts have upheld that Homosexual Marriage is legal, and that Homosexual Marriages performed in other states are legal in states which have previously refused to perform them. And it is well known that traditional Marriages performed are legal in all 50 states. Considering that Marriage is a legal status conferred upon someone by the state in the absence of a Constitutional Right to be Married, and therefore is a right because the right to freedom of religion is a right, therefore it must also be held true that:

The Right to Bear Arms is a Constitutional Right bearing Equal Gravity to Freedom of Religion. In no way did our Founding Fathers differentiate between the importance of either right, or declare either right supreme among the others. Concealed Carry Permit Holder is a legal status conferred by the State upon someone after completing a generally accepted act (in this case CCW course and permitting process) and obtaining a license registering said act legally before the State. Therefore, by the same Constitutional Authority that demands a Marriage be accepted in all 50 states, should a permit to Carry Concealed be accepted on face value in all 50 states, and no prejudice or infringement of said exercising of a Constitutional right by the citizen be infringed.

In short, IMHO, if you have a CCW in South Carolina, you should be legally able to carry concealed in California or Illinois, even if that state has REFUSES TO ISSUE CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS. By the same token that a gay couple married in one state is still married, even if the state they move to REFUSES TO MARRY GAY COUPLES.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    I'm down with that as long as they have training.

I don't like nitwits running around without NRA safety training though.

http://training.nra.org/

Leave a comment:

• Trung Si
    replied
    [QUOTE=holly6;2993243
    . Problem is I'm not sure I'd want others to have the same.[/QUOTE]

I am a pro gun advocate and I am right with you there!

Leave a comment:

• holly6
    replied
    Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
    And here we go.......
    Not sure about your response. Can you expand?

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

And here we go.......

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X