Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    But that ensures that LEOs can enforce CHL statutes. without it, if you come to Texas and go into a bar, which our CHL law prohibits but your state (for the sake of argument) permits, we cannot arrest you.

As it is, out-of-state CHL users get carte blanche.
    Only if that is the State of Texas policy or agreement with the other state. Texas could just as easily go the other way.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
      Only if that is the State of Texas policy or agreement with the other state. Texas could just as easily go the other way.
      We cannot enforce another state's statutes, only Texas codes. That's pretty much standard.

Under this proposed bill visitors would be subject to the Texas PC, and thus fair game.

Its a much-needed change.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        We cannot enforce another state's statutes, only Texas codes. That's pretty much standard.

Under this proposed bill visitors would be subject to the Texas PC, and thus fair game.

Its a much-needed change.
        You're confusing me. Yes Texas can't enforce MO laws got it.

However you appear to be saying, in the last part, that you can't enforce TX CC permit laws on out state carriers while they are in TX?????
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
          You're confusing me. Yes Texas can't enforce MO laws got it.

However you appear to be saying, in the last part, that you can't enforce TX CC permit laws on out state carriers while they are in TX?????
          Not at the moment. Before, when we didn't not have and agreements we could. Now the agreement isn't completely binding, and the situation is iffy.

Just like the great commercial DL issues of the 80s and 90s, we need the Feds to step in and set a standard.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

WV just passed a bill eliminating the requirement for a CCP.

WV House of Delegates passes bill to eliminate requirement for concealed carry permits
            Mar 12, 2015 1:00 PM PDT

In a 71-29 vote, the House of Delegates passed Senate Bill 347, creating the Firearms Act of 2015.

The proposed measure would eliminate the need for a concealed carry permit in West Virginia. Currently, those 18 and older not prohibited from carrying a weapon are allowed to carry openly without any kind of a license or permit. It would allow a waiver for anyone older than 18 but younger than 21 who serves in the military. If passed, the measure would allow 21-year-olds to conceal carry without obtaining a permit or taking safety classes. Because the House passed an amendment that would raise the age from originally 18 to 21, the Senate will have to concur before the bill goes to Gov. Tomblin for his signature.

The proposed measure keeps prohibitions of current law in place, such as restricting convicted felons and individuals with a history of domestic violence from owning firearms.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/28411669...-carry-permits
            "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              I'm down with that as long as they have training.

I don't like nitwits running around without NRA safety training though.

http://training.nra.org/
              That's kinda my biggest obstacle to the people who want all the people to be armed all the time.

I don't worry about trained, sane people carrying weapons. I just don't think that every citizen is capable of safely managing a weapon wherever they go just because they bought it.

I always appreciated my folks teaching me at a young age how to safely handle a gun. I think anyone who wants to carry a gun should have at least some level of training. At least enough so they know which end is the dangerous bit.

Or so they don't try the whole 'catching a bullet in your mouth' magic trick...

Comment

Reciprocity laws are pretty simple. One state makes allowances for residents of another state obeying what they believe is the law as written in their own state.

For example, if I go to California in my truck with windows with "limo" tint on them and tinting on the driver and passenger window and parts of the windshield as allowed by Arizona and am pulled over there because California doesn't allow window tint like that the ticket gets tossed.

I can also drive pretty freely through California red light and speed cameras because they only photograph the front of the vehicle. Arizona does not require a front license plate on a vehicle, California does.

The same should apply to CC / gun ownership. I apply Arizona's law properly. The state I am in honors that to the extent they can. At worst, if they don't want me armed they ship my weapon etc., to my home or a law enforcement agency in my state for me to recover the weapon when I get home. No legal action is taken and the state that doesn't want me armed pays to have the weapon removed to my state. That seems perfectly fair.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  Reciprocity laws are pretty simple. One state makes allowances for residents of another state obeying what they believe is the law as written in their own state.

For example, if I go to California in my truck with windows with "limo" tint on them and tinting on the driver and passenger window and parts of the windshield as allowed by Arizona and am pulled over there because California doesn't allow window tint like that the ticket gets tossed.

I can also drive pretty freely through California red light and speed cameras because they only photograph the front of the vehicle. Arizona does not require a front license plate on a vehicle, California does.

The same should apply to CC / gun ownership. I apply Arizona's law properly. The state I am in honors that to the extent they can. At worst, if they don't want me armed they ship my weapon etc., to my home or a law enforcement agency in my state for me to recover the weapon when I get home. No legal action is taken and the state that doesn't want me armed pays to have the weapon removed to my state. That seems perfectly fair.

Don't get busted driving through Sunnyvale, CA with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

Since 2000, California law has banned making, selling, giving or lending magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds. The city of Sunnyvale went even further by making it illegal to even possess them. If you are pulled over while driving through the city, they will confiscate it and charge you. They don't care what loose gun laws you have in Arizona.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Canada has a gun bill working its way through called The Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                      Don't get busted driving through Sunnyvale, CA with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

Since 2000, California law has banned making, selling, giving or lending magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds. The city of Sunnyvale went even further by making it illegal to even possess them. If you are pulled over while driving through the city, they will confiscate it and charge you.
                      I am covered by LEORSA... The rules are different for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enf...ers_Safety_Act

“The bill removes the ability of police departments to enforce rules and policies on when and how their own officers can carry firearms. Police chiefs will lose the authority to prohibit their own officers from carrying certain weapons on-duty or off-duty. Section 2 of the bill provides that regardless of ‘‘any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof,’’ any individual who qualifies as a law enforcement officer and who carries photo identification will be authorized to carry any firearm. In a variety of contexts, including the federal preemption of state law, courts have interpreted the term ‘‘law’’ to include agency rules and regulations. The Supreme Court has ruled that this term specifically includes contractual obligations between employers and employees, such as work rules, policies, and practices promulgated by state and local police departments.[17]
                      That is my 9mm semi-automatic with 15 round magazines is perfectly legal for me to tote so long as I have my ID with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                        Canada has a gun bill working its way through called The Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act.
                        Oh boy...

So, what's that all about?
                        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enf...ers_Safety_Act

That is my 9mm semi-automatic with 15 round magazines is perfectly legal for me to tote so long as I have my ID with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                            Oh boy...

So, what's that all about?

The act would curtail “the discretionary authority of chief firearms officers,” according to the Library of Parliament. “What we are trying to do with that legislation are some things that will both increase safety around the acquisition and use of firearms but also to deal with some of the bureaucracy and excessive red tape,” he said.
                            “In some provinces, those firearms officers have exercised their authority in extremely arbitrary ways.”

Harper: Guns important for 'safety' in rural homes far from 'immediate police assistance'

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/harpe...ance-1.2277304

Comment

I've read stories of NJ/NY still jacking up out-of-state LEO's.
                              While I agree with training on the one hand, on the other, there have been very, very few stupid incidents with permit holders.
                              I don't know why TX can't bust out-of-staters breaking the law, reciprocity only means that you honor the permit, the permit holder still needs to follow your laws. Here's an example--Joe Public has a drivers license from a state with a 75mph speed limit. Your state has a 60mph limit. When you pull him over, you recognize that he can legally drive in your state because of his license, but you still bust him for speeding. What he can do in his home state has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Let's try that again without the all-inclusive insult please. - ACG staff
                                Last edited by Skoblin; 16 Mar 15, 14:15.
                                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X