VA secretary sorry for false special forces claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA secretary sorry for false special forces claim

How is it possible to think that you served in SOF when you didn't? This is the guy leading the VA....

"While I was in Los Angeles, engaging a homeless individual to determine his Veteran status, I asked the man where he had served in the military," McDonald said in a statement released to Military Times late Monday night. "He responded that he had served in special forces. I incorrectly stated that I had been in special forces. That was inaccurate and I apologize to anyone that was offended by my misstatement.

"I have great respect for those who have served our nation in special forces."

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/v...rces/23918821/

He actually served in the 82nd Airborne, but identifying with a disturbed patient in this fashion is a common psych tactic and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Not much to see here.

But, on a related note: When some homeless guy claims to have been in the military, let alone "special forces" or such check that claim ten ways from Sunday. It is usually just another lie / ploy to get something from the person his is talking to.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Not much to see here.

But, on a related note: When some homeless guy claims to have been in the military, let alone "special forces" or such check that claim ten ways from Sunday. It is usually just another lie / ploy to get something from the person his is talking to.
        No joke. Not just homeless people, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          No joke. Not just homeless people, either.
          Nope...that's why Obama claims to be an American.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Another tempest in a teapot...

Sincerely,
            M
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
              Another tempest in a teapot...

Sincerely,
              M
              It could be but what I am seeing is a trend; A condescending attitude towards those that question him.

“Nine hundred people have been fired since I became secretary. We’ve got 60 people that we fired who have manipulated wait times.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ait-time-data/

Then we have his retort to reply to Rep. Mike Coffman:

“I ran a large company, sir, what have you done?” McDonald said to Rep. Mike Coffman ­(R-Colo.) in a heated exchange.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...c35_story.html

Being in the 82nd and claiming to be SF would be the same as some Marine in a MEU-SOC unit claiming to be SF.

He isn't there to change the VA, he is doing some rearranging without changing the culture of self serving to the bureaucracy and not the Veteran.

Comment

Seems to me this is a case of what Henry V, as personified by The Bard, referred to as 'remembering with advantages' as old soldiers undoubtedly do from time to time...

Sincerely,
                M
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Meh, I can't get worked up over this.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    Seems to me this is a case of what Henry V, as personified by The Bard, referred to as 'remembering with advantages' as old soldiers undoubtedly do from time to time...
                    Sincerely,
                    M
                    Hi

Very apt.
                    Many people guild the lily, be it about their military service or there achievements in civilian employment. I can't remember the exact figure, but a large proportion of people 'big' their CV's when looking for employment etc.
                    Its a non story and I agree with MM's remarks about association!

Regards

Andy H
                    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                      Hi

Very apt.
                      Many people guild the lily, be it about their military service or there achievements in civilian employment. I can't remember the exact figure, but a large proportion of people 'big' their CV's when looking for employment etc.
                      Its a non story and I agree with MM's remarks about association!

Regards

Andy H
                      Hi Andy,

At what point should he be held accountable for what he says? This is the second lie that he has been caught telling. He was supposed to fix the VA, not tell additional lies.

We aren't talking about some low or mid level manager, he is the director.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                        Hi Andy,

At what point should he be held accountable for what he says? This is the second lie that he has been caught telling. He was supposed to fix the VA, not tell additional lies.

We aren't talking about some low or mid level manager, he is the director.
                        Hi Paul

He is being held accountable and he's apologised.
                        Like MM stated I think the context of the conversation has a bearing on this specific, though that doesn't mean cart-blanch approval to tell such 'white lies' again and expect no further action.

His lie, though disappointing isn't of a scale where lives have been lost or employments terminated etc. We all tell lies (from the mail boy to the Director) of varying degree's each and everyday, and its only when we get caught that we actually consciously think about what were doing.

Regards

Andy H
                        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                          His lie, though disappointing isn't of a scale where lives have been lost or employments terminated etc. We all tell lies (from the mail boy to the Director) of varying degree's each and everyday, and its only when we get caught that we actually consciously think about what were doing.

Hi Andy,

The SOF lie is minor but it shows a trend with this man. The lie that is worse was this:

“Nine hundred people have been fired since I became secretary. We’ve got 60 people that we fired who have manipulated wait times.”

– Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald, NBC “Meet the Press” interview, Feb. 15, 2015

As I said earlier in the thread; He isn't there to change the VA, he is doing some rearranging without changing the culture of self serving to the bureaucracy and not the Veteran.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                            Hi Andy,

The SOF lie is minor but it shows a trend with this man. The lie that is worse was this:

– Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald, NBC “Meet the Press” interview, Feb. 15, 2015

As I said earlier in the thread; He isn't there to change the VA, he is doing some rearranging without changing the culture of self serving to the bureaucracy and not the Veteran.
                            Hi Paul

I'm not that well informed about the 900/60 affair, though reading quickly through various articles, his usage of terminology certainly needs to be tightened, though its no excuse for lying/misspeak or gilding the lily.

The guy has been found out on the 900/60 and paid a price in the court of public perception. His recent white-lie is unfortunate, but its not earth shattering. As parents we've all told far worse I'm sure! I'm not sure his removal would achieve anything, beyond political point scoring-The VA deserves more than political point scoring from either side.

Regards

Andy H

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                              Meh, I can't get worked up over this.
                              Doesn't excite me either!
                              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X