Towns in upstate NY want to secede from state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towns in upstate NY want to secede from state

Fifteen towns in upstate New York have expressed interest in secession after the state banned fracking, according to an interest group researching the economic benefits of such a move.

The Upstate New York Towns Association said 15 towns expressed interest breaking away to join Pennsylvania, which allows fracking, according to television station WBNG. Although the group declined to name specific towns involved in the effort, WBNG reported the towns are located in Broome, Delaware, Tioga and Sullivan counties.

Those counties are located in or near New York's natural gas-rich Southern Tier, which borders Pennsylvania.
    […]
    "The Southern Tier is desolate," Finch told WBNG. "We have no jobs and no income. The richest resource we have is in the ground."
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...towns-fracking

Hubbie and I travel through this area every time we go to Boston as it has the least traffic on its I-86 and NY 17 and I-88. We joke about it as we travel through it as being Hill-Billy Heaven in the east as it is very rural. It’s pretty sad and shocking compared to other areas we travel through. This is an ancestral area for both of us and we think that the folks who picked up and went west did a wise thing for their descendants. I don’t blame them a bit for wanting to secede from NY and to go to PA. The area does not appear to be well taken care of by their state. They have been working on NY 17 to turn it into I-86 for all of the years that we have been traveling that route since 1995 or 96. They get a few miles done every year or so. I-88 is pot hole heaven.

A lot of those folks are probably pretty upset as they watch their relatives and neighbors across the state border get rich off of shale gas.
    Homo homini lupus

Sounds like a plan to me.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Norther California and southern Oregon have the same dream; divorce themselves from manipulative urban enclaves so that they can obtain a measure of prosperity by their own efforts.
      The big guns say no, history says yes, eventually.
      Its just a matter of how long the remote aristocracy can maintain their grip on the distant provinces by brute force.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

One New York town did during the Civil War.
        “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
        --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

It isn't going to happen. It takes approval from both the state and federal governments.

It really is a stupid idea.

Sincerely,
          M

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
            Norther California and southern Oregon have the same dream; divorce themselves from manipulative urban enclaves so that they can obtain a measure of prosperity by their own efforts.
            Its just a matter of how long the remote aristocracy can maintain their grip on the distant provinces by brute force.

I am one of those in NorCal who wants to split the state in two. Maybe Northern California and Southern Oregon can start their own state.

It would be a conservative utopia.
            "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
              Ah, so Northern California is being held onto by force interesting idea.

So you don't approve of the US Constitution? Do you want to 'fundamentally change...." it?

Art IV Section. 3.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
              “To talk of many things:
              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              And why the sea is boiling hot—
              And whether pigs have wings.”
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                Ah, so Northern California is being held onto by force interesting idea.

So you don't approve of the US Constitution? Do you want to 'fundamentally change...." it?

Art IV Section. 3.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
                These counties do not want to form another State, the want to switch States!
                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                  And yes, historically it has happened before.

West Virginia became a state following the Wheeling Conventions of 1861, in which 50 northwestern counties of Virginia decided to break away from Virginia during the American Civil War. The new state was admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863, and was a key Civil War border state.
                  Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

I was replying directly to the quoted poster that wanted to split Northern California off, claiming that it was being forced to stay with the southern half.

Same rules apply. The boundaries of a state can not be changed without the constitutional process which I posted.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

And yes, historically it has happened before.

West Virginia became a state following the Wheeling Conventions of 1861, in which 50 northwestern counties of Virginia decided to break away from Virginia during the American Civil War. The new state was admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863, and was a key Civil War border state.
                      Yes, it could do so because the Southern States had left congress. So a vote was held which Virginia, the main body, refused to participate in as it considered itself separate from the US. The Union occupied part that became WV voted to split. Congress voted to agree. So the constitutional process was followed.
                      “To talk of many things:
                      Of cabbages—and kings—
                      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I welcome this proposal. I think ultimately - due to the NYC centric views of Albany - New York will split into multiple different states, or join other states as these towns are proposing. Here on Long Island we are seeing the rise of a growing statehood movement. Every day that Long Island remains part of New York is another day of high taxes and economic stagnation. Why should Long Island have to serve as a cash cow for the rest of the state?

New York politics is three men in a room working on schemes to screw the rest of the state so NYC can get more freebies and handouts.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                          I welcome this proposal. I think ultimately - due to the NYC centric views of Albany - New York will split into multiple different states, or join other states as these towns are proposing. Here on Long Island we are seeing the rise of a growing statehood movement. Every day that Long Island remains part of New York is another day of high taxes and economic stagnation. Why should Long Island have to serve as a cash cow for the rest of the state?

New York politics is three men in a room working on schemes to screw the rest of the state so NYC can get more freebies and handouts.
                          A movement can not do anything. It takes the state legislature and then the approval of both houses of congress to change the borders of a state.
                          “To talk of many things:
                          Of cabbages—and kings—
                          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post

I can't really blame them. Funny how this comes up with those democratic states.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                              It isn't going to happen. It takes approval from both the state and federal governments.

It really is a stupid idea.

Sincerely,
                              M
                              And the Civil War showed us that there is no 'renegotiating' being part of the United States. So if the State and Federal governments says no, there isn't much you can do about it.

More seriously though, I always found these wannabe secessionists to be quite amusing. They never follow through on their demands, and it's always a PR stunt that some people tend to take seriously.

Heck, there are still those that believe Texas has some hidden right somewhere in the paperwork it signed with the United States that allows it to secede if it wants to.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X