Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DHS tackles endless morale problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DHS tackles endless morale problems

    ......with seemingly endless studies:

    Afflicted with the lowest morale of any large federal agency, the Department of Homeland Security did what comes naturally to many in government.

    It decided to study the problem. And then study it some more.
    The first study cost more than $1 million. When it was finished, it was put in a drawer. The next one cost less but duplicated the first. It also ended up in a drawer.

    So last year, still stumped about why the employees charged with safeguarding Americans are so unhappy, the department commissioned two more studies.

    Now, with the nation continuing to face threats to the homeland, some officials who have worked inside the agency acknowledge it should spend less time studying its internal problems and more energy trying to fix them.


    “There’s really no excuse for the department expending finite resources on multiple studies, some at the same time, to tell the department pretty much what everyone has concluded: that there are four to five things that need to be done for morale,” said Chris Cummiskey, who left DHS in November after serving as its third-highest-ranking official. “You don’t need $2 million worth of studies to figure that out.”

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...c35_story.html
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

  • #2
    I love command climate surveys. I get down right explicit and name names. It also helps I have a CO who wants a pleasant and effective environment to work in. I wish more organizations had that kind of leadership.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
      I love command climate surveys. I get down right explicit and name names. It also helps I have a CO who wants a pleasant and effective environment to work in. I wish more organizations had that kind of leadership.
      Yeah, my wife "works" in a "pleasant" and effective environment..... and the employees take advantage of the management.... and goof off at work... and take vacations in violation of the official policy ..... and shuffle off work to those who would do it (rather than those who should do it).

      Just what the "employees" need.

      I think I'd settle for the "leadership" first, then the rest of it can come into play.

      Just my two cents worth.

      GG
      "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

      "Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

      Comment


      • #4
        When the brass commission a survey, and then shelve the results, IME it means that the findings made them look bad.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

        Comment


        • #5
          Don't need "studies"...poor morale is always due to poor leadership.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
            Yeah, my wife "works" in a "pleasant" and effective environment..... and the employees take advantage of the management.... and goof off at work... and take vacations in violation of the official policy ..... and shuffle off work to those who would do it (rather than those who should do it).

            Just what the "employees" need.

            I think I'd settle for the "leadership" first, then the rest of it can come into play.

            Just my two cents worth.

            GG
            That's not a pleasant or effective workplace. Many people confuse pleasant with pushover.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
              That's not a pleasant or effective workplace. Many people confuse pleasant with pushover.
              It's "pleasant" for the lazy, the conniving and the useless.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

              Comment


              • #8
                I've always been amazed in the Federal bureaucracy high level types have no idea what is going on in the real world. I'm in favor of limited number of times that politicians can be reelected & think that after a few years the high mucky mucks in the department need to be rerouted to an actual job where they use their hands to keep their viewpoints realistic.
                "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  When the brass commission a survey, and then shelve the results, IME it means that the findings made them look bad.
                  Ditto.

                  IMHO, the NSA's difficult stem from that fact that the overwhelming number Americans are not natural-born Gestapo.

                  Next election, I'm voting for whoever promises to pardon Snowden.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, for well less than a million dollars... more like free... I can bet the major causes are (in no particular order)

                    Managerial incompetence
                    Managerial and bureaucratic pettiness. (Includes massive interference in line staff / employees being able to do their job)
                    Onerous working conditions.
                    Lack of career growth potential
                    A general feeling that those at the top are against the staff in the field doing their job at all.

                    So, since all of this involves the failure of those commissioning the studies, they shelve the results and try to find another company that can change them to reasons that blame the employees, staff, and field agents.
                    After all, it couldn't possibly be the fault of top line civil service executives, Obama appointees, and the Obama administration itself.


                    Then I read the article! Amazingly, exactly what I just predicted was the problem. And, I can bet the response is exactly what I said too!

                    Comment

                    Latest Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X