Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops! Train Fire in the Mountain State

http://news.yahoo.com/west-virginia-...204306095.html

I wonder how many times has the Alaskan Pipeline caught fire?

I'm shocked that no greeniacs have responded yet with a picture of a penguin covered in oil...
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyan67 View Post
      http://news.yahoo.com/west-virginia-...204306095.html

I wonder how many times has the Alaskan Pipeline caught fire?
      Probably fewer times than the average forest.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Trouble is, pipelines don't reach everywhere that oil needs to go.

The other issue is that lot's of things explode, including entire granaries, refineries, chemical plants and a host of other entities.

Tanker trucks routinely crash and burn, along with trucks full of deadly chemicals, caustic chemicals and lethal cargoes. We cannot replace all of those with "pipelines".

So the issue isn't abut pipelines, but about safety. For example, if we can make a nuclear containment vessel that can withstand behind hit by a train without rupturing, we can make a better tank car that can withstand the forces of derailment. We can also make a better tanker truck.

After incidents like Exxon Valdez, the government started requiring double hulls on tankers. Time for some similar measures and some serious re-engineering.

Oh, BTW, we have a whole lot more forest fires than train derailments causing explosions. Maybe we should consider eliminating all forests, grasslands and flammable structures. We can put the people in those "pipelines" instead.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X