Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.I.A. Is Said to Have Bought and Destroyed Iraqi Chemical Weapons

From the New York Times:

"The extraordinary arms purchase plan, known as Operation Avarice, began in 2005 and continued into 2006, and the American military deemed it a nonproliferation success. It led to the United States’ acquiring and destroying at least 400 Borak rockets, one of the internationally condemned chemical weapons that Saddam Hussein’s Baathist government manufactured in the 1980s but that were not accounted for by United Nations inspections mandated after the 1991 Persian Gulf war."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/wo...etType=nyt_now
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

But wait...! Didn't the NY Times, along with every other Progressive media source, and all the Progressives in general say "Bush lied" about WMD and that Saddam didn't have any?

Comment

Gulf War Syndrome. Oh yeah, its all in their heads, right?
      "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
      - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        But wait...! Didn't the NY Times, along with every other Progressive media source, and all the Progressives in general say "Bush lied" about WMD and that Saddam didn't have any?

Why, yes! They did proclaim there were no WMD as did numerous people in this forum.

This leads to the next question: Why didn't President Bush allow this information to be released?

A simple answer would be that he was afraid that people would point out that we could have purchased them without going to war.....

I don't think Saddam would have sold them so I guessing there is something else that hasn't been publically discovered yet that stopped him from releasing this information.
        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
          Gulf War Syndrome. Oh yeah, its all in their heads, right?
          That is also mixed in with the mefloquine that some of us had to take.....

A drug that actually crosses the blood brain barrier...heck chemo couldn't even do that.

Comment

But how can this happen if there were no chemical weapons in Iraq in....

/Gigantic Sigh

The complete and utter wrongness of the Left and the UN is just utterly tiring.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Why would we buy them if we had already conquered the nation?

Sounds fishy...

Comment

Hi Terry

You posted (the same in this thread US starts to destroy its largest Chemical Weapons cache http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=156358
                to which I posted the following:-

Its from Wiki so I can't vouch for its veracity
                Iraqi stockpile
                When Iraq joined the CWC in 2009, it declared "two bunkers with filled and unfilled chemical weapons munitions, some precursors, as well as five former chemical weapons production facilities" according to OPCW Director General Rogelio Pfirter.[22] No plans were announced at that time for the destruction of the material, although it was noted that the bunkers were damaged in the 2003 war and even inspection of the site must be carefully planned. Most of Iraq's chemical weapons were previously destroyed under a United Nations reduction program after the 1991 Gulf War. Approximately five hundred degraded chemical munitions have been found in Iraq since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, according to a report of the US National Ground Intelligence Center. These weapons contained sarin and mustard agents but were so badly corroded that they could not have been used as originally intended
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemica...raqi_stockpile
                Regards

Andy H
                "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

The Bush administration lied they tried to sell the war by claiming that Iraq had active WMD programs going on like making up the yellowcake uranium from Niger lie,these chemical weapons could only be used as an IED due to them being damaged and rusted.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                    The Bush administration lied they tried to sell the war by claiming that Iraq had active WMD programs going on like making up the yellowcake uranium from Niger lie,these chemical weapons could only be used as an IED due to them being damaged and rusted.

The President didn't lie, Iraq agreed in 1991 to eliminate its nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons programs and the means to deliver and develop them. Iraq continued to block the efforts of the UN inspectors.

Now we know why, they did have WMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                      The President didn't lie, Iraq agreed in 1991 to eliminate its nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons programs and the means to deliver and develop them. Iraq continued to block the efforts of the UN inspectors.

Now we know why, they did have WMD.
                      Yes they did they said the reason for invading was because of active WMD programs which they made up not because of a few unusable chemical weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                        Yes they did they said the reason for invading was because of active WMD programs which they made up not because of a few unusable chemical weapons.
                        Actually no, they didn't. you need to read his resolution that he submitted to Congress.

Also, if you took the time to read the link in the OP you would know that you "unusable chemical weapons" statement is in fact a lie.

Comment

Has n't this been done to death? The Bush administration said that there was an ongoing WMD program which the Iraqis were trying to hide and which posed an active and future threat. It was known that there were remnants of earlier programs.

The bits and pieces that have turned up do not prove that the Bush administration were right, that the media was wrong and all the rest. The distinction between the two was made throughout. It really is a desperate clutching at the weakest of straws to claim that 'Iraq had WMDs' after all. Even the NY Times article mentions old weapons and not an active program.
                          "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                          G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                          Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/phaseiiaccuracy.pdf

Then President Bush's summary of the NIE

'Baghdad has begun renewed production of chemical warfare agents, probably including mustard, sarin, cyclosarin and VX,'' Although information is limited, Saddam probably has stocked at least 100-and possibly as much as 500-metric tons of CW agents. Iraq has experience ni manufacturing CW bombs, artillery rockets, and projectiles, and we assess it has CW bulk fills for short-range ballistic missile(SRBM) warheads."
                            So just which of those claims are supported by finding 400 old pre-1991 rocket warheads, a lot of which are not usable?????
                            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            And why the sea is boiling hot—
                            And whether pigs have wings.”
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                              Has n't this been done to death? The Bush administration said that there was an ongoing WMD program which the Iraqis were trying to hide and which posed an active and future threat. It was known that there were remnants of earlier programs.

The bits and pieces that have turned up do not prove that the Bush administration were right, that the media was wrong and all the rest. The distinction between the two was made throughout. It really is a desperate clutching at the weakest of straws to claim that 'Iraq had WMDs' after all. Even the NY Times article mentions old weapons and not an active program.
                              Sergio, the link article clearly shows that the old weapons were still weapons. Here is just a part of President Bush's war resolution:

Whereas in 1990 in response to Iraq's war of aggression against and
                              illegal occupation of Kuwait, the United States forged a coalition
                              of nations to liberate Kuwait and its people in order to defend the
                              national security of the United States and enforce United Nations
                              Security Council resolutions relating to Iraq;

Whereas after the liberation of Kuwait in 1991, Iraq entered into a
                              United Nations sponsored cease-fire agreement pursuant to which Iraq
                              unequivocally agreed, among other things, to eliminate its nuclear,
                              biological, and chemical weapons programs and the means to deliver
                              and develop them, and to end its support for international
                              terrorism;

Whereas the efforts of international weapons inspectors, United States
                              intelligence agencies, and Iraqi defectors led to the discovery that
                              Iraq had large stockpiles of chemical weapons and a large scale
                              biological weapons program, and that Iraq had an advanced nuclear
                              weapons development program that was much closer to producing a
                              nuclear weapon than intelligence reporting had previously indicated;

Whereas Iraq, in direct and flagrant violation of the cease-fire,
                              attempted to thwart the efforts of weapons inspectors to identify
                              and destroy Iraq's weapons of mass destruction stockpiles and
                              development capabilities, which finally resulted in the withdrawal
                              of inspectors from Iraq on October 31, 1998;

Whereas in Public Law 105-235 (August 14, 1998), Congress concluded that
                              Iraq's continuing weapons of mass destruction programs threatened
                              vital United States interests and international peace and security,
                              declared Iraq to be in ``material and unacceptable breach of its
                              international obligations'' and urged the President ``to take
                              appropriate action, in accordance with the Constitution and relevant
                              laws of the United States, to bring Iraq into compliance with its
                              international obligations'';

Whereas Iraq both poses a continuing threat to the national security of
                              the United States and international peace and security in the
                              Persian Gulf region and remains in material and unacceptable breach
                              of its international obligations by, among other things, continuing
                              to possess and develop a significant chemical and biological weapons
                              capability, actively seeking a nuclear weapons capability, and
                              supporting and harboring terrorist organizations;

Whereas Iraq persists in violating resolution of the United Nations
                              Security Council by continuing to engage in brutal repression of its
                              civilian population thereby threatening international peace

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-10...107publ243.htm

Sending the troops in wasn't for one violation but multiple violations that Iraq did between the cease fire in 1991 and the ground offense in 2003.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X