X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama and war authority against ISIS

Obama is asking Congress for war authority to fight ISIS

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...rity/23278375/

What I find fascinating about this is that he seems to have been moved to action by the death of one Progressive Leftist activist / bleeding heart type that went into a war zone to do "humanitarian" good deeds and such. Yet, he seems oblivious to the deaths of hundreds or even thousands at the hands of various terror groups.

A day after the death of hostage Kayla Mueller was confirmed, President Barack Obama asked Congress for renewed authorization to use military force against the terrorist group ISIS, which the White House says poses "a grave threat" to U.S. national security

So, now the US should risk the lives of their military personnel because a starry eyed activist was taken hostage and killed but "boots on the ground" to actually combat all this increasing terrorism before it gained traction was an unacceptable policy with Obama?

That is one screwed up set of priorities there.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

What I find fascinating about this is that he seems to have been moved to action by the death of one Progressive Leftist activist / bleeding heart type that went into a war zone to do "humanitarian" good deeds and such. Yet, he seems oblivious to the deaths of hundreds or even thousands at the hands of various terror groups.

So, now the US should risk the lives of their military personnel because a starry eyed activist was taken hostage and killed but "boots on the ground" to actually combat all this increasing terrorism before it gained traction was an unacceptable policy with Obama?

He asked for one in the State of the Union. Speaker of the House stated that congress would NOT come up with one on its own and wanted the President to submit a draft, which is what this is. It has nothing to do with the death of the Aid worker.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...il-114429.html

State of the Union 2015: Barack Obama urges Congress to approve new use of military force
    By Philip Ewing and Jeremy Herb
    1/20/15 11:41 PM EST
    http://www.rollcall.com/multimedia/-238421-1.html

Speaker John A. Boehner reiterated his call for the White House to submit a new Authorization for the Use of Military Force in the war against the Islamic State at his weekly news conference Thursday.
    "In the new Congress, I would urge the president to submit a new authorization for the use of military force regarding our efforts to defeat and to destroy ISIL," Boehner said, referring to the group also known as ISIS. "I reminded the president last month that historically the commander-in-chief has identified the need for the use of military force, written a new AUMF, sent it to Capitol Hill and worked to build bipartisan support for that measure."
    All the way back to Sept even:

http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014...r-vote/380761/

Boehner has backed Obama's efforts, but he also thinks Congress should weigh in with a formal force authorization. The problem for him is that he continues to believe that request must first come from the president and should not be initiated by Congress alone.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

On what basis is Boehner saying this? I just read the Constitution of the US. Congress has almost all of the power for declaring War and managing the military. The President is only the Commander and Chief after the Army and Navy have been called into actual service.

Read Article 8 and 9 of the Constitution. I think Boehner is dead wrong on this issue.
      Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
        On what basis is Boehner saying this? I just read the Constitution of the US. Congress has almost all of the power for declaring War and managing the military. The President is only the Commander and Chief after the Army and Navy have been called into actual service.

Read Article 8 and 9 of the Constitution. I think Boehner is dead wrong on this issue.
        What article 8 and 9 Jannie, our Constitution only has seven articles, if you mean section 8 and 9 of article I, I don't see where he is dead wrong.

The US has not declared war since December 8th of 941 when FDR asked Congress to do so.
        As far as I know Congress has never initiated a military action on it's own without the request by the President first.
        Last edited by Trung Si; 12 Feb 15, 13:06.
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Trung Si:

Yes you are right on the Sections and Articles. I got them mixed up. Sorry--Senior Moment!

However the Congress has a whole list of powers relating to the military and the President only one as Commander In Chief after the military has been activated.

Is Boehner implying that the Executive has had permanent power over the military since it has never been inactivated since WWII?

I do think that Congress does not have the guts to take the responsibility of sending our military anywhere--they are trying to poke that off on the President, and they are not living up to the Constitution.

Neither branch is living up to what the Constitution says? If Obama takes on the responsibility of saying we want boots on the ground in Syria--will Congress fund it? They have not been too willing to fund anything he requests or does in an Executive manner. Or will they undercut him in some way again? I think the President has learned through some hard lessons not to trust them.
          Homo homini lupus

Comment

When I see Jordanian Battalions take to the field against ISIS, maybe I will give this a thought.

Until then, NO, no more US troops racing around to clean up that part of the world while 90% of the Arabs sit around munching popcorn and enjoying the show.
            Again.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

A. When did Ms. Mueller become a leftist? I haven't seen any mention of her political stance.

B. The gears were turning on this decision before she died.

That said I see your point. However I don't believe in screwing with Obama when he makes a good call. ISIS should have been strangled in the crib but at least now our befuddled president is finally starting to recognize the threat. He's an imbecile, but I dare not interrupt him when he stumbles into the right decision.
              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                When I see Jordanian Battalions take to the field against ISIS, maybe I will give this a thought.
                You just might.

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                Until then, NO, no more US troops racing around to clean up that part of the world while 90% of the Arabs sit around munching popcorn and enjoying the show.
                Again.
                The unfortunate problem is that the ME's mess can affect us. So leaving that part of the world alone doesn't do us any good. Unless we turn the ME into one giant District B13, terrorism there will inevitably affect us here. Just ask France. It sucks and it's unfair that we have to clean up their messes and we need leaders who can clean up said messes so thoroughly that infestations don't reoccur, but it is an unfortunate neccessity. Isolationism doesn't work with this many international airports.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                  A. When did Ms. Mueller become a leftist? I haven't seen any mention of her political stance.
                  That's from the numerous articles in the Arizona Republic that went on for literally pages gushing about her. She's from Prescott AZ so they made a major deal over her.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...need/23219947/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...tion/23218063/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ends/23007661/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...line/23166641/

B. The gears were turning on this decision before she died.

That said I see your point. However I don't believe in screwing with Obama when he makes a good call. ISIS should have been strangled in the crib but at least now our befuddled president is finally starting to recognize the threat. He's an imbecile, but I dare not interrupt him when he stumbles into the right decision.
                  The odds on favorite is that Obama will make a bad call out of this. He doesn't have much of a track record on doing stuff right.
                  Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 12 Feb 15, 17:21.

Comment

TAG has made an excellent point, and deserves to be addressed in a more serious fashion. This is a president who never seeks permission from Congress for anything he does, especially as it involves the military, yet now he is asking Congress to declare war?

I sense a grab for more power, not any genuine concern for following the Constitution, because we know after six years that the Constitution is of zero interest or concern to Muhammed Obama.

He wants something else, and he wants it very badly, because for this, he needs the Republicans and he doesn't have them; in fact, he has done nothing for six years but deliberately alienate them.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Nah, they shouldn't do it out of spite. If they turn down the resolution they will gain a political victory and really, isn't that the most important thing?

Then a couple of weeks when the public forgets, they can whine and moan about Obama's inaction.

Comment

Who's declaring war? That would mean we would need to act decisively and actually follow through and win it.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                          Who's declaring war? That would mean we would need to act decisively and actually follow through and win it.
                          That was the point of my post Gixxer, no one is declaring war here, Obama is asking to take a military action and for the funding which originates in the House, Boehner is asking him for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                            That was the point of my post Gixxer, no one is declaring war here, Obama is asking to take a military action and for the funding which originates in the House, Boehner is asking him for details.
                            Obama has details? That'd be a first...!

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                              Trung Si:
                              I think the President has learned through some hard lessons not to trust them.
                              That one cuts both ways Jannie, the Congress doesn't trust the President either, he has shown from day one that he has no appetite or the desire to work with Congress, even a friendly one which he had his first two years and a friendly Senate the last six in office and he got nothing past other than Obamacare (without one republican vote) this is a hard pill to have to swallow for his supporters, but it happens to be true

Last edited by Trung Si; 12 Feb 15, 19:57.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X