Marine Faces Desertion Charges After Ten Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Faces Desertion Charges After Ten Years

RALEIGH, N.C. – A U.S. Marine who vanished from a base in Iraq and later wound up in Lebanon is set to face trial more than a decade after the puzzling case began.
    Cpl. Wassef Hassoun's court martial on desertion and other charges starts Monday at Camp Lejeune. Defense attorneys maintain that he was kidnapped in 2004 by insurgents and that later, after briefly returning to the U.S., he became tangled up in Lebanese courts for years. Prosecutors say Hassoun fled his post in Iraq because he was unhappy with his deployment and didn't like how U.S. troops treated Iraqis. However, a September report from the military equivalent of a grand jury hearing acknowledges that prosecutors could have a hard time proving their largely circumstantial case because of the difficulty in tracking down witnesses.
    The case began when Hassoun went missing from a base in Fallujah in June 2004. Days later, he appeared blindfolded and with a sword poised above his head in a photo purportedly taken by insurgents. An extremist group claimed to be holding him captive.
    Not long after that, Hassoun turned up unharmed at the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, saying he'd been kidnapped. But officials were suspicious, and he was brought back to Camp Lejeune while the military considered charging him with desertion and counts related to a pistol and Humvee he's accused of taking
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/08...lebanon-faces/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

He is being prosecuted by the Marine Corps.

Too bad that the US Army can't get off the dime about Bergdahl.

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Why did they recruit him in the first place?

Just my luck, I would get deployed to Iraq with a fellow traveler in my outfit....
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

"Fellow traveler"? He's not Communist, which is what that particular term refers to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          "Fellow traveler"? He's not Communist, which is what that particular term refers to.
          True, but the principle is the same.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Now Its the US Army's Turn...

The Marine Corps has convicted Corporal Wassif Hassoun of desertion.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/23...lty-desertion/

Now the US Army needs to get off the dime and charge and convict Bergdahl.

Sincerely,
            M
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Deserted twice...

Fool me once shame on you...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                Deserted twice...

Fool me once shame on you...
                I wonder what would happen if Bergcrud deserted again?

Sincerely,
                M

Comment

Threads on same marine merged.

ACG Staff

Comment

I know a former Marine of Lebanese Muslim descent who what going to make the Corps his life until an IED took much of his hearing in Iraq.

Comment

And I know a Lebanese who used to blow things up in high school, and never entered the armed services...this relates to the actual thread in what way?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        True, but the principle is the same.
                        Not at all. Communism does not equate to desertion. One is a political belief system and the other is a military crime under the UCMJ. That's comparing apples and skunks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X