The difference between Democracy and a Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    But that's not my argument - my stance has been to object to the idea that a Republican form of government is inherently superior to a Democratic form of government.
    No form of government is inherently superior without a culture in which respect for individual liberty, rule of law with the consent of the governed and a reasonable consensus on objective morality are in existence.

Once those concepts exist a Republic has some advantages over pure democracy IMHO.
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
      No form of government is inherently superior without a culture in which respect for individual liberty, rule of law with the consent of the governed and a reasonable consensus on objective morality are in existence.

Once those concepts exist a Republic has some advantages over pure democracy IMHO.
      I would disagree on the later, but only because I believe a republic is just as capable of tyranny and oppression if the "laws" that are supposed to be the cornerstone of a republic enable it.

Likewise, a democracy can be constrained by the same laws and guidelines that are held up as a benefit of republicanism. Democracy does not entail nor demand tyranny of the majority as a defining feature.

Any government is only as ethical, moral, or just as the laws it is built around. For the American experience republicanism was a boon because our guiding principles were crafted to enshrine the concept of personal liberty and freedom. Democracy or republic is far less important than how the system is created to create and protect individual rights.

Comment

That is why we have a Democratic Republic
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
          Berlin.1945
          by casanova
          The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
          Yesterday, 23:41
        • casanova
          AW 169M
          by casanova
          The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
          Yesterday, 23:26
        • JBark
          What changed?
          by JBark
          There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
          Yesterday, 18:54
        Working...
        X