The difference between Democracy and a Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between Democracy and a Republic

This should be required viewing in every school,in this country..

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

I can't get the Video, my computer has problems, but democracy is mob rule, republicanism is not!
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

The video seems to ignore that there can be both tyrannical republics (Apartheid South Africa) and democratic republics (Modern France). The narrator acted as if every Democracy is centred around the idea of "it's okay as long as it has majority support", when that's never been the case in any country. On another point, the graph used within the video would place the entire Social Conservatism and Tough on Crime movements within the 'Far Left'. That would be silly.

On a whole I wasn't really impressed with the video.
      ´
      “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
        The video seems to ignore that there can be both tyrannical republics (Apartheid South Africa) and democratic republics (Modern France). The narrator acted as if every Democracy is centred around the idea of "it's okay as long as it has majority support", when that's never been the case in any country. On another point, the graph used within the video would place the entire Social Conservatism and Tough on Crime movements within the 'Far Left'. That would be silly.

On a whole I wasn't really impressed with the video.
        I think you misunderstand the point of the vid. A true democracy is mob rule, a republic is rule of law. A democratic republic is most likely the best balance.
        The American Republic is based on law. But that doesn't mean equality, nor does it mean it doesn't have flaws.
        If man is involved there will be flaws.
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Parliamentary democracies do rule of law just fine.

The thing I think everyone should watch out for is what role actual politics is assigned in any system. Do you want political solutions through democratic means, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
            A true democracy is mob rule, a republic is rule of law.
            No it's not. A true democracy can still establish laws, bills of rights, etc. And a republic can happily ignore the rule of law if it wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              I think you misunderstand the point of the vid. A true democracy is mob rule, a republic is rule of law. A democratic republic is most likely the best balance.
              The American Republic is based on law. But that doesn't mean equality, nor does it mean it doesn't have flaws.
              If man is involved there will be flaws.
              The term 'equality' should be defined. In the US system, it does not mean that everyone is equal in ability, etc.; what it means is that everyone is equal before the law.

Sincerely,
              M
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                The term 'equality' should be defined. In the US system, it does not mean that everyone is equal in ability, etc.; what it means is that everyone is equal before the law.

Sincerely,
                M
                And it does a pretty fair job of that. There are imperfections-at OP noted any man-made system has its imperfections, but taken as a whole everyone sands on equal footing before the law.

Now, some have built their lives so as to weather a crisis better than others, but that is on the individual, not the system.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                  I can't get the Video, my computer has problems, but democracy is mob rule, republicanism is not!
                  No...democracy is rule by the people, while republicanism is rule by the elite.

Do you consider yourself part of some mindless mob?
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    And it does a pretty fair job of that. There are imperfections-at OP noted any man-made system has its imperfections, but taken as a whole everyone sands on equal footing before the law.
                    As a LEO, you of all people know better than to ever make the claim that "everyone stands on equal footing before the law."

There is a law for the poor, the middle class and a very lax set of laws for the rich and the powerful, as we see at work every day of our lives.

When, for example, will Holder be tried for his crimes?
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      No...democracy is rule by the people, while republicanism is rule by the elite.

Do you consider yourself part of some mindless mob?
                      Just as pointed out in the video, lynch mobs are a democracy, the trial by a jury of peers is a function of law over democracy.

Comment

Republic: The people elect representatives to govern them. There are restrictions on voting usually so that only those who have a stake in society get to.
                        Those devolve into Democracies. Now everybody gets a vote and the mob rules. Government is no longer representative of the people but into wealth redistribution and "equality." Society slowly crumbles into a lethargic welfare state of bread and circuses.
                        Tyranny. What Democracies end up as. With everything crumbling around them some one stands up and shouts "I will fix everything! Vote me into power!" So, the people do. That person becomes a dictator in short order and imposes all sorts of horrors on society to make it "right" again.
                        Anarchy: The last stage of a society. The dictator is either overthrown or crushed in a vicious war by other states not wanting to deal with his crap. The nation crumbles into chaos and ruin.
                        Republic:

Comment

Pirate ships were a democracy.
                          “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                          --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            Republic: The people elect representatives to govern them. There are restrictions on voting usually so that only those who have a stake in society get to.
                            Those devolve into Democracies. Now everybody gets a vote and the mob rules. Government is no longer representative of the people but into wealth redistribution and "equality." Society slowly crumbles into a lethargic welfare state of bread and circuses.
                            Somehow you've skipped explaining just how a Republic is able to prevent tyranny when a Democracy has to be mob rule - nothing in their definition or description suggests either is a necessary function.

Why must a Democracy never be guided by rule of law?

Comment

No system is perfect. But the only way a system can work is for people to agree on the system and then work to make it function properly. When the people become ignorant of how the system works then it breaks down. When the people become lazy or apathetic and blindly trust their leaders we get what we have now. A Broken, Corrupted system.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X