George Orwell is laughing now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Orwell is laughing now!

Could you explain me please,if you have 2 seconds,why you connect G.Orwell to the cartoon?
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
      Could you explain me please,if you have 2 seconds,why you connect G.Orwell to the cartoon?
      Speech modification.

"Double-plus Good!"

Comment

Like the Nov-language in 1948?

Comment

Originally posted by rkohut View Post

Priceless!
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Have you ever read 1984? It's self-explanatory.

Comment

i have read it 3 times.
              May be i am too much thick to clearly understand the connection.
              You know,these Europeens....

Comment

You said it - I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  You said it - I didn't.
                  LOL!

GG
                  "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

In 1984, the "Ministry of Peace" prosecuted Oceania's wars, the "Ministry of Truth" manufactured lies, the "Ministry of Love" tortured masses of captives . . . . Emmanuel Goldstein was actually pretty explicit in his explanation.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Exactly, just as our wars are now managed by the Department of "Defense". Not many people remember that The War Department conducted WWII.

And our nuclear weapons are "deterrents for peace".

Oh, yeah...I can hear Orwell's laughter all the way up here in the mountains.

Reminds me of SAC's old motto: "Peace Is Our Profession".

Comment

I always get my higher ups uncomfortable when I tell my soldiers their job is to kill people and blow their stuff up, or enable others to through superior communication.

Comment

Tell them it's truth in advertising. They'll at least understand that.

Comment

Exactly, just as our wars are now managed by the Department of "Defense". Not many people remember that The War Department conducted WWII.
                            Is that a case of euphemism obfuscating truth, or a genuine difference in role? For example, the War Department supervised the US Army's activities, while the Navy Department did the same for the US Navy: both secretaries were full members of the president's cabinet. Nowadays the service secretaries report to the Secretary of Defense, and he to the president.

And our nuclear weapons are "deterrents for peace".

Oh, yeah...I can hear Orwell's laughter all the way up here in the mountains.

Reminds me of SAC's old motto: "Peace Is Our Profession".

Again, is that far off though? I mean, since Hiroshima and Nagasaki there hasn't been a wartime exchange of nuclear devices. For some it may seem counter-intuitive, but I think that there exists a consensus on MAD's deterrent value.
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

It's pure PC.

The purpose of the military is still to wage war, not peace, nor have we "defended" American soil since WWII.

Our curreent nuclear arsenal is not, and cannot ever be, labeled as "defensive" in nature, particularly those mounted on missile systems designed to deliver them thousands of miles away.

A nuclear air defense missile,which we last deployed during the Cold War in Europe, could be "defensive"; a nuclear tipped ICBM MIRV'ed with ten two megaton warheads and a range of 8,000 miles, is offensive, period.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X