Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a USA College Degree Really Need to Cost so Much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. The end of Western Civilization will be due to being regulated to death.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It finished the Ptolemy regime in Egypt...
      It had a lot to do with the collapse of Communism in Europe and Russia.
      It has wrecked North Korea and Cuba.

Those are the extremes. Even the EU can be shown to be regulating Europe to death.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        It finished the Ptolemy regime in Egypt...
        It had a lot to do with the collapse of Communism in Europe and Russia.
        It has wrecked North Korea and Cuba.

Those are the extremes. Even the EU can be shown to be regulating Europe to death.
        I'm sure you can. You can also be show that it is lots and lots of regulation that is making China's economy grow, It is regulations that made the EU outperform the US in 2006 through 2008 and it is the lack of effective regulation that caused the 2008 collapse. That's what make stats fun.

For the most part the mantra of "regulated to death" of the free market ideologues is just that...groundless ideology.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Vote anarchist. Wait, is that even possible?
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
            I'm sure you can. You can also be show that it is lots and lots of regulation that is making China's economy grow, It is regulations that made the EU outperform the US in 2006 through 2008 and it is the lack of effective regulation that caused the 2008 collapse. That's what make stats fun.

For the most part the mantra of "regulated to death" of the free market ideologues is just that...groundless ideology.
            Yea, like China heavily regulates... Pollution, worker safety, product safety and quality...

I can bet those things cost employers lots and lots of cash to comply with in the US and EU...

Comment

Back to the topic of the OP
              Higher education has been priced out of the reach of all but the very rich or the very indebted.
              Perhaps some of you think that is a good thing, I do not.
              But the cold hard truth is, it's cheaper to hire someone who has been educated in another country, why should we worry about educating our own people?
              Let other nations educate their children, then we can lure them here.
              Sadly that is what has happened.
              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
              Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

I'm funneling the daughter to attend the local state university...........around 9K for her tuition and fees per year with a 15 hour course load. Making her live at home and she has received a 5K scolastic scholorship..........told her to make at least 3K working per year and we would handle the rest..........
                Thats our helping hand jump start for her.... after that she is on her own.
                Of course we make too much money for any grants...........

The local private university wants 3 times that much. and they REQUIRE incomin freshman to live on campus...... even if you live a mile away.......
                its all just a scam................

Comment

Would seem our overpriced K-12 doesn't prepare well for the overpriced college degree that looks a bit lite preparing future citizens.

Who won the Civil War? (and other tough questions )
                  http://patriotvideos.net/who-won-the...-to-get-right/
                  Last edited by G David Bock; 06 Mar 15, 15:40.
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Too many students going straight to 4-year schools.

Too many students that have no real reason to go to college going to college.

Overemphasis on 4-year colleges and degrees embedded in the general culture and K-12 education (this same emphasis looks down upon vocational and community college programs that are ideal for a great number of students).

The university program in general being treated as a professional gateway rather than as institutions for "higher learning."

And then some things that just boggle the mind. The total tuition for my recent Master's degree through the University of Alabama (online program) cost me about $12k, their in-state tuition rates. The same program at the two in-state programs in California would have cost me over $30k (UCLA) and $20k (San Jose State...because while also an online-only program, they would charge me the out-of-area tuition).

Was also a report out here recently about how the UC system is now striving to prioritize even more out-of-state and foreign students because of how much more tuition they bring in. This is allegedly in response to the decreasing California university budget, and is also justified with those high-cost tuitions enabling X more California students to attend. The UCs in particular, though, seem to be cash factories, in contrast to the way our community colleges have been hit, for instance.

jeffdoorgunnr is on the right track, I think, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                      Would seem our overpriced K-12 doesn't prepare well for the overpriced college degree that looks a bit lite preparing future citizens.

Who won the Civil War? (and other tpough questions )
                      http://patriotvideos.net/who-won-the...-to-get-right/
                      Give that kids a break, they most likely didn't know what day it was. TX higher ed.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        Give that kids a break, they most likely didn't know what day it was. TX higher ed.
                        From conversations with my oldest son, Iraq combat vet and recent college grad, it's not just a TX thing. Same here at WA private college, Pacific Lutheran University, and likely elsewhere in USA from similar "surveys" I've seen.
                        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X