Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a USA College Degree Really Need to Cost so Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a USA College Degree Really Need to Cost so Much?

I know many here have little regard for Ann Coulter, but this recent "op-ed" of hers raises an important issue long overdue for close examination and/or redress;
    How much is that psychology degree worth?

EXCERPT (admittedly a bit long, but inclusive);
    In response to Obama’s “free” community college idea, Republicans should say: We’re not giving you anything, and, in fact, we’re demanding answers from the entire “higher ed” establishment. You’ll be surprised how liberating and fun it is to go on offense, Republicans.

The GOP needs to hold tobacco company-style hearings, hauling in the presidents of various universities and asking them to justify their multimillion-dollar salaries.

We want professors explaining, under penalty of perjury, exactly how much they make per hour for their rigorous schedules of two classes a week, summers off, and full-year “sabbaticals” every few terms.
    Also, we’d like to know how driving the getaway car for a cop-killer constitutes a qualification to teach college.

College professors relentlessly hound the rest of society for its crimes — racism, sexism, “white privilege” – look what you’re doing to the environment! Why are we paying them, again? There’s no visible reason most of these people should be teaching at all. How about they explain their value to the taxpayers who subsidize their cushy lives?

Other than engineers, economists, and quarterbacks, no one acquires any marketable knowledge at college. The sole purpose of a degree is to function as a substitute IQ test. If employers were allowed to give applicants 15-minute intelligence tests, they’d have the exact same information as knowing what college a person attended.

But they can’t do that, so families have to spend a quarter of a million dollars to give their kids the parchment equivalent of an IQ score. High school kids who get into good schools should present employers with their college acceptance letters and skip the going-to-college part.

Republicans need to force colleges to issue reports, just like drug companies, attesting to the average cost, and the average salary, for every degree. It will cost you $160,000 to receive a degree in Spanish literature and will take you 88 years to pay that back.

Trust Ann — liberals will go wild. That’s how you’ll know you’ve struck gold.

They will scream bloody murder, accuse Republicans of “McCarthyism,” say it’s too burdensome to collect this information and how can you put a dollar value on a college education?

They better be able to put a dollar value on a college degree! That’s how it’s being sold. Obama doesn’t say it’s important to go to college to learn to think analytically, read critically, or be exposed to different ideas — none of which occurs at most colleges, anyway.
    http://humanevents.com/2015/01/28/ho...tm_campaign=nl
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Amongst my civilian employees I have one Art history major and a Masters in Literature clerking. I don't know if they had/have student loans, but their jobs only require a HSD/GED.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The simple example of why college has become so expensive:

You go to college. It costs $500 a semester. The government generously comes along and offers to loan or grant you $500 to pay for your college.
      The college administrators see this. They know you can afford to pay $500, you are doing that now.
      So, they raise tuition, maybe not all at once but they raise it, to $1000. Now you are getting a loan from the government for $500 and still paying $500 out of pocket. The university (who is in business first and foremost to make a profit... Why else would they have those multi-billion dollar endowment funds in reserve?) is happy to take all the money you have. Paying that loan off is your problem, not theirs.

That is what having government handing out large globs of cash to go to college gets you.

Want a related proof? Look up the cost of health care. The one area where the government and health insurance is all but totally uninvolved, cosmetic surgery, has costs going down not up. The rest of health care is skyrocketing in cost.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        That is what having government handing out large globs of cash to go to college gets you.

Want a related proof? Look up the cost of health care. The one area where the government and health insurance is all but totally uninvolved, cosmetic surgery, has costs going down not up. The rest of health care is skyrocketing in cost.

Nonsense, colleges in USA are so expensive because they are such a big business. Not because government hands out a student loan.

US health care system is also the most expensive, and instead of comparing to some area where there is no need for government interference, perhaps you should compare to other countries where the system is both free AND cheaper.

Supply and demand people.
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
          Nonsense, colleges in USA are so expensive because they are such a big business. Not because government hands out a student loan.

US health care system is also the most expensive, and instead of comparing to some area where there is no need for government interference, perhaps you should compare to other countries where the system is both free AND cheaper.

The UK and Canada have systems like you suggest. There's more UK MDs working in the USA than the UK. My burg, in Texas, has several hundred Canadian medical professionals working down here because they hate their system, which leaves them underpaid.

As to 'most expensive', bollocks. Take the deadbeats out of the system and its no big deal.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

That's a factor too. But, much of what many universities do in terms of making money is not teaching per se. It is research. For many bigger schools students, particularly undergraduate students, are an inconvenience that they put up with more than anything.

Comment

No, a degree doesn't need to cost that much. Ann Coulter is a moron. Anyone that spends $250,000 on an undergraduate needs to drink a quart of bleach to wipe that defective gene out of the pool.
              Last edited by Naffenea; 30 Jan 15, 15:12.

Comment

It's EXACTLY because student loans are so easy to get that college is so expensive here in the US. Colleges/universities don't care that it's going to explode, they got their cheese now and that's all that matters.

When my dad graduated from USU in 2000, his tuition was around $900 a semester. When I started there in 2005, tuition was around $1400 a semester. In 2015, a semester is $3100 for a business college degree, $2500 for anything else. That kind of increase is far in excess of the inflation rate.

Comment

It's not only the cost going up, but the education requirements for certain jobs keep going up, also. Thirty years ago, a Physical Therapist just needed a BS degree. Now they want you to have a Doctorate to start.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                    It's not only the cost going up, but the education requirements for certain jobs keep going up, also. Thirty years ago, a Physical Therapist just needed a BS degree. Now they want you to have a Doctorate to start.
                    Because degrees are a glut on the market. If you can get a PhD for BA or BS wages, why not go for it?

Comment

Yeah: "supply and demand." For the same quantity of good or service -- in our case university education or health care -- quantity doesn't usually fluctuate too awful much, but since government programs are offering money either directly or indirectly to the service providers, you now have a situation where a growing quantity of cash is chasing a relatively static amount of service. That's called inflation: dollar price goes up 'cause there's more dollars chasing it, whatever the "it" is. It's why prices go up during wartime: more people working in defense-related industries, but overall quantity of consumer goods/services remains static. That's what's happened to NYC real estate: prices are rising because there's more Wall Street and foreign-billionaire-offering-cash money in circulation. That's Eco 101.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                        It's EXACTLY because student loans are so easy to get that college is so expensive here in the US. Colleges/universities don't care that it's going to explode, they got their cheese now and that's all that matters.

When my dad graduated from USU in 2000, his tuition was around $900 a semester. When I started there in 2005, tuition was around $1400 a semester. In 2015, a semester is $3100 for a business college degree, $2500 for anything else. That kind of increase is far in excess of the inflation rate.
                        Student loans are easy to get pretty much anywhere, so why only in USA has the ability to take debt easily increased the prices?

I mean, I understand the principle behind this. It's the same as the housing bubble, but even in the most simplistic form it's not just getting easy loans.

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        The UK and Canada have systems like you suggest. There's more UK MDs working in the USA than the UK. My burg, in Texas, has several hundred Canadian medical professionals working down here because they hate their system, which leaves them underpaid.
                        You got statistics to back that up? Also the guy I go to here...or well, went last time, is an UK MD. He charges about 10 euros for a normal checkup. ANd he is Maltese, so what do you exactly mean when you say'There's more UK MDs working in the USA than the UK'?

And yeah, of course those who go after money go where they get paid most money. A lot of European MDs/nurses/etc head to Saudi-Arabia/Qatar etc, yet I somehow doubt they have the best society in the world...they just have oil money.

As to 'most expensive', bollocks. Take the deadbeats out of the system and its no big deal.
                        Always the deadbeats.
                        Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                          A good part of that can be tagged onto the increasing cost of hiring, and retaining an employee, along with the difficulty of firing one that government has imposed on employer. When the average cost of government regulation per employee is exceeding $10,000 a year employers cut costs in part by making employees pre-train themselves, at their own expense, to be fully competent at a particular job.
                          Hence, one reason why requirements have increased.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                            I know many here have little regard for Ann Coulter, but this recent "op-ed" of hers raises an important issue long overdue for close examination and/or redress;
                            How much is that psychology degree worth?

EXCERPT (admittedly a bit long, but inclusive);

The GOP needs to hold tobacco company-style hearings, hauling in the presidents of various universities and asking them to justify their multimillion-dollar salaries.

Other than engineers, economists, and quarterbacks, no one acquires any marketable knowledge at college. The sole purpose of a degree is to function as a substitute IQ test. If employers were allowed to give applicants 15-minute intelligence tests, they’d have the exact same information as knowing what college a person attended.

But they can’t do that, so families have to spend a quarter of a million dollars to give their kids the parchment equivalent of an IQ score.
                            IQ tests not the same a college degree. Just look at Ann, she has a college degree and yet she is incredibly stupid.

But Ann does make for great infotainment.

Comment

This is an excellent thread topic. I went through University 68-73. Advanced degrees came later. Spent 17 years on the local University Advisory Board and watched the costs escalate. I want to enjoin the conversation, but I haven't decided what I have to add to the discussion. I have enjoyed the different perspectives.
                              My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X