Senate Passes Keystone Pipeline Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Passes Keystone Pipeline Bill

WASHINGTON – The Senate passed legislation Thursday approving the Keystone XL oil pipeline, setting up a looming veto showdown with the White House.
    The legislation passed on a 62-36 vote, after lawmakers spent weeks considering amendments. The House passed a similar bill earlier this month, though there are slight differences that have to be ironed out before the bill can go to President Obama's desk.
    The vote nevertheless marked the first time the Senate has voted to approve the controversial Canada-to-Texas oil pipeline. Nine Democrats joined with 53 Republicans to back the measure.
    “Constructing Keystone would pump billions into our economy,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said before the vote. “It would support thousands of good American jobs and as the president’s own State Department has indicated, it would do this with minimal environmental impact.”
    Russ Girling, CEO of the company behind the project TransCanada, said in a statement Thursday afternoon the firm was "encouraged" by the "strong bipartisan" showing in the Senate.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...senate-hurdle/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Worse news for Obama: 62 votes is virtually a veto override. It would be particularly bad for him if he did veto it and it then got overridden by the Senate.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Worse news for Obama: 62 votes is virtually a veto override. It would be particularly bad for him if he did veto it and it then got overridden by the Senate.
      No... not close. 67. The votes are not there to get to that level.
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

It takes 67 votes for a veto override TA and I doubt if we can get four more.
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
          It takes 67 votes for a veto override TA and I doubt if we can get four more.
          You never know. My point was and is that it is close to veto proof. It definitely will act to show Obama is incapable of working with Congress and even bipartisanship within his own party.

A veto says, he really thinks he's a dictator not a coalition builder. It will be a tough sell for him to say things are the Republicans and Congress' fault if he continually vetoes bills with bipartisan support.

Comment

A veto says, he really thinks he's a dictator not a coalition builder....
            Obama could not care, and neither do any of his supporters.

How do you think he got away with smuggling 60k illegal alien kids into the US and hiding them away... and dozen of other illegal & destructive actions in the last 6 years?

Democrats hate Republicans far too much to have anything rational to say about any of Obama's abuses of power, and it will always be that way.
            Always.

Comment

You never know. My point was and is that it is close to veto proof. It definitely will act to show Obama is incapable of working with Congress and even bipartisanship within his own party.

A veto says, he really thinks he's a dictator not a coalition builder. It will be a tough sell for him to say things are the Republicans and Congress' fault if he continually vetoes bills with bipartisan support.
              Using his constitutionally prescribed power is being a dictator? Con double speak. Three veto's in six years when he vetoes this one. He waits a month or three and then approves it anyway. My prediction.
              “To talk of many things:
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                Using his constitutionally prescribed power is being a dictator? Con double speak. Three veto's in six years when he vetoes this one. He waits a month or three and then approves it anyway. My prediction.
                It gives the impression of acting like one. It doesn't make him one. Three vetoes in six years. Two of which his party had a super majority in both houses of Congress who sent him exactly what he wanted. Then four years of divided Congress in which the Senate, still in Democrat hands, refused to send or consider anything contrary to Obama's position.
                Now, we will see two years where Obama has to work with the opposition party to get any legislation done. He has already made threats to veto eight pieces of legislation the Republicans have proposed including the Keystone bill now headed to his desk.

We will see if that threat is carried out or not.

Comment

It gives the impression of acting like one. It doesn't make him one. Three vetoes in six years.
                  If Obama's 3 vetoes in six years is him acting like a dictator, what does the 78 vetoes of Ronald Reagan make him? An actual dictator!?

Or does your disgust with vetoes only apply to 'Progressive' Democrat Presidents like Obama?
                  ´
                  “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

It gives the impression of acting like one. It doesn't make him one. Three vetoes in six years. Two of which his party had a super majority in both houses of Congress who sent him exactly what he wanted. Then four years of divided Congress in which the Senate, still in Democrat hands, refused to send or consider anything contrary to Obama's position.
                    Now, we will see two years where Obama has to work with the opposition party to get any legislation done. He has already made threats to veto eight pieces of legislation the Republicans have proposed including the Keystone bill now headed to his desk.

We will see if that threat is carried out or not.
                    Exercising the powers granted to the President by the US Constitution is NOT giving the impression of acting like a dictator.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
                      If Obama's 3 vetoes in six years is him acting like a dictator, what does the 78 vetoes of Ronald Reagan make him? An actual dictator!?

Or does your disgust with vetoes only apply to 'Progressive' Democrat Presidents like Obama?

The number of vetoes has more to do with the make up of congress than a comment on the president.
                      He hasn't had to deal with a congress controlled by the GOP until now.
                      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                        The number of vetoes has more to do with the make up of congress than a comment on the president.
                        He hasn't had to deal with a congress controlled by the GOP until now.
                        Of course it does, however evidently even USING the power demonstrates or gives the impression of the President being a dictator, according to some. So Mr Reagan's use of the Veto power must also represent that trend......
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                          Of course it does, however evidently even USING the power demonstrates or gives the impression of the President being a dictator, according to some. So Mr Reagan's use of the Veto power must also represent that trend......

The use of a veto is not proof of a dictatorship IMO.
                          However, the use of the veto on keystone is hypocritical given BO's past statements.

I know you think he will approve it eventually, but given that his opposition appears to be based on the desires of the global warming crowd, I'm not sure how he will do that without alienating them.
                          It seems he has to chose between his union supporters and green supporters.
                          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

However, the use of the veto on keystone is hypocritical given BO's past statements.

I know you think he will approve it eventually, but given that his opposition appears to be based on the desires of the global warming crowd, I'm not sure how he will do that without alienating them.
                            You are right on the money with that, as I have said in past posts he is between a rock and a hard place with this decision, he will tick off at least
                            half of his supporters no matter which way he goes, that's why he has been dragging his feet on this for years now.
                            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

As usual, he had managed to take a situation which requires bipartisan action, and **** off the GOP.

That is Obama's chief failing (aside from being a disloyal PoS): the inability to unify his party and/or cut deals with the opposition. Bush did far more with a hostile Congress than bobo ever managed with a party majority because he cannot manage to bring people to the table and find some common ground or acceptable swaps.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X