Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seattle to Fine Residents for Throwing Food in the Garbage

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    IF we figure out the space stuff.

    First, there's no guarantee that a solution exists, and second that if it does, that sufficient political will exists to see the problem through. And third, there might not be anything within our reach if points 1 and 2 go our way.

    But you are right. Babies born today will be live to be MM's age without seeing the 'new frontier'.
    But I have already lived to see many "new frontiers" as they occur constantly and with increasing frequency in our rapidly accelerating society.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I have better things to do with my time than sort my garbage and wash it.
      Based on the amount of time you spend here....Obviously not.
      #occupyarmchairgeneral.
      Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
      Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

      Comment


      • #48
        The San Francisco Bay Area is a collection of many cities and counties each with it own microcosm regarding trash and recyclables.

        Where I have seen the separated food waste requirement is in Portola Valley, an extremely wealthy town. I worked in two homes that was worth well over $50 million apiece, as well as a few tiny houses that was worth about $2-3 million dollars each and a lot of others in between the two extremes. The food waste bin assigned by the garbage company is a small blue plastic pail and hinged lid that would hold about a gallon of water.........I kid you NOT!!!!

        I guess if you have more weekly food wastage than what would fit into that pail, you must be some sort of evil gluten responsible for the starvation in Africa. The homes that I worked in all seem to have one thing in common. All the owners have expensive pedigree dogs that get into that pail, eat all that spoiling food............and get very sick. I know of one dog that ended up in the emergency room at least three times before the owner gave up on the little blue pail.

        One is not allowed to use any plastic bags for food going into the pail, so it is becomes one really gross nightmare.

        That said, we should all try to recycle. Monetary worth and what effects climate aside, there is the matter of trying to reduce the volume placed into landfills.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

        Prayers.

        BoRG

        http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          But I have already lived to see many "new frontiers" as they occur constantly and with increasing frequency in our rapidly accelerating society.
          True, but TAG was talking about getting off the planet. The timeline on that is looking extremely long, if it ever happens.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            True, but TAG was talking about getting off the planet. The timeline on that is looking extremely long, if it ever happens.
            We have already gotten off our planet, remember? I have seen space travel...only locally to the Moon by men, but I have also seen what robots are seeing while roaming the surface of Mars, and landing on comets, and circling the distant moons of our solar system.

            Would I like to see Man reach the stars? Not until Man learns to handle life on earth and control violence. We don't want or need wars in space.

            We aren't ready to go further, and I'm beginning to doubt that we ever will be. Distant history will see The Second World War as the last chance for decency and common sense to take over the world, and the beginning of the end.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              We have already gotten off our planet, remember? I have seen space travel...only locally to the Moon by men, but I have also seen what robots are seeing while roaming the surface of Mars, and landing on comets, and circling the distant moons of our solar system.

              Would I like to see Man reach the stars? Not until Man learns to handle life on earth and control violence. We don't want or need wars in space.

              We aren't ready to go further, and I'm beginning to doubt that we ever will be. Distant history will see The Second World War as the last chance for decency and common sense to take over the world, and the beginning of the end.
              Come on, no need to be so pessimistic. First of all, most wars and conflicts are over resources. In space there's no lack of resources, and there's no doubt we'll some day get there. If it takes a hundred or ten thousand years, though we might nuke ourselves out of existence by then, technology will inevitably march to the point that is required.
              Wisdom is personal

              Comment

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              Working...
              X