Seattle to Fine Residents for Throwing Food in the Garbage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle to Fine Residents for Throwing Food in the Garbage

Only from the Left Coast could something so stupid be passed in the Progressive's effort to combat Global Warming.
    http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/curtis-k...g-food-garbage

What happens when you compost organic matter such as leaves, grass clippings, and food waste? It generates just as much methane and carbon dioxide as the bacteria feeding on it converts the organic waste into soil as it would buried in a landfill.

At least in a modern landfill, those gasses can be captured and put to use such as power generation.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

So what are Seattle residents supposed to do with food waste?
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

My friends in San Francisco were complaining about this a few years ago. It took about a year for them to get adjusted and now it comes to them naturally. They never throw food in the garbage anymore.

San Francisco is way ahead of Seattle as far as composting & recycling goes.

S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.
      Recycling S.F. supes OK mayor's proposal - fines for violators

Throwing orange peels, coffee grounds and grease-stained pizza boxes in the trash will be against the law in San Francisco, and could even lead to a fine.

The Board of Supervisors voted 9-2 Tuesday to approve Mayor Gavin Newsom's proposal for the most comprehensive mandatory composting and recycling law in the country. It's an aggressive push to cut greenhouse gas emissions and have the city sending nothing to landfills or incinerators by 2020.

"San Francisco has the best recycling and composting programs in the nation," Newsom said, praising the board's vote on a plan that some residents had decried as heavy-handed and impractical. "We can build on our success."

http://www.sfgate.com/green/article/...-S-3295664.php

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Garbage disposal, toilet, or roadside dump.

People will get rid of it one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
          Only from the Left Coast could something so stupid be passed in the Progressive's effort to combat Global Warming.
          http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/curtis-k...g-food-garbage

What happens when you compost organic matter such as leaves, grass clippings, and food waste? It generates just as much methane and carbon dioxide as the bacteria feeding on it converts the organic waste into soil as it would buried in a landfill.

At least in a modern landfill, those gasses can be captured and put to use such as power generation.
          What, you believe in Conservation of Mass? [:-)

I remember when my father taught me that was one of the basic laws of the Universe, like the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Coburg View Post
            My friends in San Francisco were complaining about this a few years ago. It took about a year for them to get adjusted and now it comes to them naturally. They never throw food in the garbage anymore.

San Francisco is way ahead of Seattle as far as composting & recycling goes.
            We're talking about actual food waste such as leftovers, spoiled food and things like chicken and meat bones. We are especially talking about the waste from fast foods, restaurants and commercial kitchens of all types. What is done with that?

A "grease-stained pizza box" is NOT "food waste". The left over pizza is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No doubt. But I'm wondering what the plan for it is.

I'm happy none of that nonsense has reached here. Everything goes into one big container.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Oh, they have not even scratched the surface of how stupid and pathetic Humanity has become.

And y'all tell me I'm too pessimistic?
                Have a look, and then let's see what you think.

The whole episode uncut-

Comment

Same here, and when they close the dumps, they capture and use the methane.

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone in Seattle is intelligent enough to realize that human feces is, in fact, "food waste". My guess is that they are not.

Comment

We never throw out food waste, hardly.

At some point I suddenly realized the world had skipped a generation ahead of us in " recycling"-- we never, never recycle "normally." We burn cardboard, have a huge three-part compost system for garden waste (NEVER food waste, it brings rats and much larger carnivores. Sometimes MUCH, MUCH larger.)

We give all food waste to domestic animals just as people used to. I remember Grandmother's bucket under the sink for the dogs. She would put EVERYthing in there. And what dogs didn't eat, pigs would.

We always had "chicken garbage" -- they would eat everything, too. Then one day I left the bucket out while we were splitting wood in a sheep pasture. I got the bucket and wondered why I had carried a perfectly clean bucket out here ----------------- oh.

Now we have a sheep garbage bucket, since we aren't keeping chickens at the moment.

The real problem is restaurant waste. It's a huge, terrible waste, but there is a reason for it. Swine eat everything, but they also catch everything people have in diseases. ALL of it. And all animal diseases, too, it seems like. And worst of all each other's diseases from leftover pork fat and raw waste and juices ----

It's a terrific problem and resulted ln laws against feeding swine with restaurant garbage in the 1930s. I wish we could solve that one. Of course, pressure cooking in a big swine feed container would fix that ----- IFIFIF people would actually do it.

They won't, though. They cut corners, and there goes Iowa's pork production.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      It's pickup up by your waste company, like always. You just have to separate it out.
                      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                      “To talk of many things:
                      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                      Of cabbages—and kings—
                      And why the sea is boiling hot—
                      And whether pigs have wings.”
                      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                        It's pickup up by your waste company, like always. You just have to separate it out.
                        Screw that. Life's too short.

Comment

That's my thinking. Garbage disposal, toilet, side of the road, in the bay, burning it...

All you will do is make people find a way to go around intrusive government rather than obey it.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                            I have better things to do with my time than sort my garbage and wash it.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              I have better things to do with my time than sort my garbage and wash it.
                              Good thing you don't live where it is required. Otherwise you'd spend more effort and time trying to evade it.
                              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              And why the sea is boiling hot—
                              And whether pigs have wings.”
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X