App That Tracks Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• App That Tracks Police

There's a app now that allows civilians to keep track of cops' location in real time. LEO's around the country are pressuring Google to take it down.

Waze, purchased by Google in 2013, lets users pinpoint police activity on a map and label the officers as "visible" or "invisible" to drivers. Sheriffs like Mike Brown of Bedford County, Virginia, argue that the ease with which users can publicize the location of officers to anyone with a smartphone makes Waze, in essence, a "police stalker."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/79...e-cop-stalking
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Now why would cops want to conceal which donut shop they're in?

Welcome to our world, officers...

Comment

The real issue. ...that makes me not like apps like this is that it makes ambushing cops that much easier. The incident in New York wasn't the first. It was just very successful. In the past couple of years street gangs have been stalking cops in various cities. With the general public helpfully providing locations for officers in real time it makes organizing an attack or ambush that much easier.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        The real issue. ...that makes me not like apps like this is that it makes ambushing cops that much easier. The incident in New York wasn't the first. It was just very successful. In the past couple of years street gangs have been stalking cops in various cities. With the general public helpfully providing locations for officers in real time it makes organizing an attack or ambush that much easier.
        Yep. Thats an ambush app or get away from a bank job app. I see no useful purpose to this.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I have it downloaded but don't use it much. LE positions have to be inputted by hand.... big deal, only as accurate as the last keystrokes.
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Why don't the police, their friends, and family simply post so many false locations that the application is rendered virtually worthless?
            ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
            2) Enjoy playing it
            3) Enjoy sharing it
            4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

It's not useless. You can use it to find the closest donut shop
              "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

We have a similar one in France used to spot the mobile speed detectors,and so the cops.
                But since the law gun is very strict ,our cops don't feel particularly unsafe with this app.
                Used by Mahomet nuts,could be another problem..
                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

A friend of mine uses Waze --- I didn't like it, I use Garmin.

But I saw her work it. Not with police, but users can and do input ANYthing on the fly (and they do this while they are DRIVING?? Darn. Seems so. Is this legal?? I didn't think it was safe.)

She put in (or took out --- users can also take out ephemera like police or accidents or obstacles that are not there when they pass) a couple things that were on the side of the road --- stopped cars and such.

It's a very temporary thing, but if enough --- thousands -- of people use it, could be a changing record of reality, I guess.

Having watched her do this, I don't see how Google could take out police position reporting without killing the whole system of reporting and later clearing things like a dead deer on the road, an accident, etc.

Comment

I could see cops using it to drive criminals into a 'sack'.
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

So long as it is just onlookers posting locations its nothing. If the officer is mobile the data is obsolete within seconds. I don't much care for stationary radar in any case.

We have a volunteer program where we get unpaid civilians to take old, end-of-service-life patrol cars to places and sit in them for a while. it slows everyone down for nothing.

I'm thinking that a single volunteer with a city smart phone could maintain speed traps throughout our burg via this feature for a lot less effort and no cost to the City.

The key to this app is that it doesn't list the locations of police officers, it lists where people claim they've seen them.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

If a criminal is using this app to track police to commit crime than he is pretty stupid. Police scanners and lookouts are more reliable.
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          If a criminal is using this app to track police to commit crime than he is pretty stupid. Police scanners and lookouts are more reliable.
                          That was my experience, that the stuff by the road wasn't really there anymore. But it's a new app, not enough updaters. If there were thousands and thousands of people updating ----- it could get pretty accurate. I assume that was Google's plan.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                            Most criminals are pretty stupid. Its refreshing to run across a smart one.

Back in the late 80s I was my agency's rep in a sting operation we had. We created a fencing operation, buying stolen goods, and it worked like a charm.

But on the onset, we had a problem: it wasn't enough just to record the transactions, the DA wanted video of the suspects lugging stuff into the place (a mobile home in a trailer park).

Well, this is 1988, and video cameras are big. So I had the idea of putting it into a galvanized rural mailbox with a two-way mirror across the opening. We glued plastic flowers to the outside to make it look art deco-ish.

One guy literally walked face first into it. Everyone coming and going saw it-its big. No one ever asked 'why is a mailbox with a mirror pointed right at the front steps'.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Such an app is inevitable, given the large number of government agencies and their "apps" that track everything an innocent citizen does 24/7.

It won't take long for the software to catch up - a single keysatro0ke to tell your cellphone that a LEO is present that will send an auto GPS signal to the tracking app - and citizens will be on a level playing field.

Parents, after all, can already use a cellphone to track their children. No reason why citizens can't use theirs to track the officers who are supposed to be protecting them who themselves are using huge amounts of surveillance.

I like the poetic justice of this.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X