Constant Conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant Conflict

As Ralph Peters came up recently, I thought I would flag up one his best articles from Parameters, the US Army War College Journal. It was written nearly 20 years ago but served as an insightful guide to the future and remains pertinent, informative and highly readable today.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle3011.htm
    Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Read it, very dang perceptive. My opinion of him just went way up.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

If you enjoyed Constant Conflict, 7 Signs of Non Competitive States is also excellent. Again, written in the 90s but it remains vibrant, instructive and relevant today.

http://strategicstudiesinstitute.arm...ing/peters.htm

Peters expresses himself much better in writing than the somewhat shrill figure that Fox demands he be, or he feels he should be.

Comment

Two of Peters' best there. Thanks!
        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
        “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
        Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

Two very insightful articles and I don't care if anyone else thinks so!
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Within that first article link/"OP" there is quite the range of ground covered ...

... by page four(of 10 per my print-out) we have three tidbits summing some of Peter's premise that are like to stir a few ranged responses;

...American culture is not about the end, but the means, the dynamic process that creates, destroys, and creates anew. If our works are transient, then so are life's greatest gifts--passion, beauty, the quality of light on a winter afternoon, even life itself. American culture is alive.
            ...The enduring popularity abroad of the shopworn Rambo series tells us far more about humanity than does a library full of scholarly analysis.
            ...We use technology to expand our wealth, power, and opportunities. The rest get high on pop culture. If religion is the opium of the people, video is their crack cocaine. When we and they collide, they shock us with violence, but, statistically, we win.

Just a starter ...

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
              Within that first article link/"OP" there is quite the range of ground covered ...

... by page four(of 10 per my print-out) we have three tidbits summing some of Peter's premise that are like to stir a few ranged responses;

...American culture is not about the end, but the means, the dynamic process that creates, destroys, and creates anew. If our works are transient, then so are life's greatest gifts--passion, beauty, the quality of light on a winter afternoon, even life itself. American culture is alive.
              ...The enduring popularity abroad of the shopworn Rambo series tells us far more about humanity than does a library full of scholarly analysis.
              ...We use technology to expand our wealth, power, and opportunities. The rest get high on pop culture. If religion is the opium of the people, video is their crack cocaine. When we and they collide, they shock us with violence, but, statistically, we win.

Just a starter ...
              In my view that first para quote is the most important one. America has a unique dynamism because it drew the most dynamic and motivated people, first many of Europes brightest and best, later similar talent from Asia and elsewhere in the world. There are cultural factors at play that mean the likes of Russia and China will find it almost impossible to compete effectively as we plunge deeper into the Information Age.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
                As Ralph Peters came up recently, I thought I would flag up one his best articles from Parameters, the US Army War College Journal. It was written nearly 20 years ago but served as an insightful guide to the future and remains pertinent, informative and highly readable today.

There's quite a bit of "quotable" in this article and the other one you linked to, but I think this part is a good gauge;
                EXCERPT:
                Secular and religious revolutionaries in our century have made the identical mistake, imagining that the workers of the world or the faithful just can't wait to go home at night to study Marx or the Koran. Well, Joe Sixpack, Ivan Tipichni, and Ali Quat would rather "Baywatch." America has figured it out, and we are brilliant at operationalizing our knowledge, and our cultural power will hinder even those cultures we do not undermine. There is no "peer competitor" in the cultural (or military) department. Our cultural empire has the addicted--men and women everywhere--clamoring for more. And they pay for the privilege of their disillusionment.

American culture is criticized for its impermanence, its "disposable" products. But therein lies its strength. All previous cultures sought ideal achievement which, once reached, might endure in static perfection. American culture is not about the end, but the means, the dynamic process that creates, destroys, and creates anew. If our works are transient, then so are life's greatest gifts--passion, beauty, the quality of light on a winter afternoon, even life itself. American culture is alive.

This vividness, this vitality, is reflected in our military; we do not expect to achieve ultimate solutions, only constant improvement. All previous cultures, general and military, have sought to achieve an ideal form of life and then fix it in cement. Americans, in and out of uniform, have always embraced change (though many individuals have not, and their conservatism has acted as a healthy brake on our national excesses). American culture is the culture of the unafraid.

Comment

There's quite a bit of "quotable" in this article and the other one you linked to, but I think this part is a good gauge;
                  EXCERPT:
                  Secular and religious revolutionaries in our century have made the identical mistake, imagining that the workers of the world or the faithful just can't wait to go home at night to study Marx or the Koran. Well, Joe Sixpack, Ivan Tipichni, and Ali Quat would rather "Baywatch." America has figured it out, and we are brilliant at operationalizing our knowledge, and our cultural power will hinder even those cultures we do not undermine. There is no "peer competitor" in the cultural (or military) department. Our cultural empire has the addicted--men and women everywhere--clamoring for more. And they pay for the privilege of their disillusionment.

American culture is criticized for its impermanence, its "disposable" products. But therein lies its strength. All previous cultures sought ideal achievement which, once reached, might endure in static perfection. American culture is not about the end, but the means, the dynamic process that creates, destroys, and creates anew. If our works are transient, then so are life's greatest gifts--passion, beauty, the quality of light on a winter afternoon, even life itself. American culture is alive.

This vividness, this vitality, is reflected in our military; we do not expect to achieve ultimate solutions, only constant improvement. All previous cultures, general and military, have sought to achieve an ideal form of life and then fix it in cement. Americans, in and out of uniform, have always embraced change (though many individuals have not, and their conservatism has acted as a healthy brake on our national excesses). American culture is the culture of the unafraid.
                  Thats some damn insightful stuff there......

Comment

...We use technology to expand our wealth, power, and opportunities. The rest get high on pop culture.
                    Check my signature.

Comment

^ There's a national "politics" somewhere on this planet that isn't corrupt?

Comment

^ There's a national "politics" somewhere on this planet that isn't corrupt?
                        Sorry, my response was for my previous signature from Friedman saying the Internet could both educate and make us dumber faster than ever before.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X