Sheldon Silver, New York Assembly Leader, Is Arrested on Graft Charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheldon Silver, New York Assembly Leader, Is Arrested on Graft Charges

The speaker of the New York State Assembly, Sheldon Silver, was arrested on federal corruption charges on Thursday and accused of using the power of his office for more than a decade to secure millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks and then covering up his schemes, according to court documents.

Mr. Silver, a Democrat from the Lower East Side of Manhattan who has served as speaker for more than two decades, is accused of a range of corrupt dealings that capitalized on his official position. They include using his position to obtain corrupt payments misrepresented as referral fees from a law firm, funneling state research funds and other benefits to a doctor who in return referred asbestos claims to the law firm where the speaker worked, and secretly helping real estate developers win tax breaks.

more,

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/ny...case.html?_r=0

It's about fcking time!

Though I've got to wonder what he did to **** off Chuck Schumer so.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Here's a kicker: when Eliot Spitzer got caught with his pants down, his fellow Democrats couldn't walk away from him fast enough. Now that it's a real power -- Shel Silver -- on the hook, not a bad word can be heard. Di Blasio called Silver "a man of integrity." Gov Cuomo said nothing at all remotely quotable. The Assembly majority leader said that his house will stand firmly behind its recently reelected Speaker. If I'm reading the tea leaves right, there remains some serious doubt about the US Attorney's case -- and genuine fear of a vengeful Silver. One commentator on our local news radio speculated that Silver might spill the beans about his Albany buddies in exchange for prosecutorial considerations, thus prompting everybody to stay on Silver's good side. If nothing else, the drama of the rats jumping remains as entertaining as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Here's a kicker: when Eliot Spitzer got caught with his pants down, his fellow Democrats couldn't walk away from him fast enough. Now that it's a real power -- Shel Silver -- on the hook, not a bad word can be heard. Di Blasio called Silver "a man of integrity." Gov Cuomo said nothing at all remotely quotable. The Assembly majority leader said that his house will stand firmly behind its recently reelected Speaker. If I'm reading the tea leaves right, there remains some serious doubt about the US Attorney's case -- and genuine fear of a vengeful Silver. One commentator on our local news radio speculated that Silver might spill the beans about his Albany buddies in exchange for prosecutorial considerations, thus prompting everybody to stay on Silver's good side. If nothing else, the drama of the rats jumping remains as entertaining as ever.
        This is an interesting case here, the lead attorney on the Govs side is Preet Bharara,who is seemingly a very intelligent man. Bharara helped to take on online poker here in the USA.

Bharara was instrumental in United States v. Scheinberg in which 3 major online poker companies were eventually forced to shut down USA operations and hand over a bunch of $$ to the US gov.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._v._Scheinberg

So I feel this is not going to be a walk in the park for Sheldon Silver, considering Silver is going up against a guy like Preet Bharara, who is saying that Silver took millions in payoffs.

Its possible that Silver avoids jail time, but money and power doesnt alawys buy freedom, just look at the case of Bernie Madoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
          This is an interesting case here, the lead attorney on the Govs side is Preet Bharara,who is seemingly a very intelligent man. Bharara helped to take on online poker here in the USA.

Bharara was instrumental in United States v. Scheinberg in which 3 major online poker companies were eventually forced to shut down USA operations and hand over a bunch of $$ to the US gov.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._v._Scheinberg

So I feel this is not going to be a walk in the park for Sheldon Silver, considering Silver is going up against a guy like Preet Bharara, who is saying that Silver took millions in payoffs.

Its possible that Silver avoids jail time, but money and power doesnt alawys buy freedom, just look at the case of Bernie Madoff.
          It first helps to know the man.

Preet Bharara, the chief counsel to Senator Charles E. Schumer, was confirmed Friday as United States attorney for the Southern District of New York, the senatorís office said.

Mr. Bharara, 40, takes over an office of more than 200 lawyers who have handled such prominent cases in the past year as the prosecution of Bernard L. Madoff for his multibillion-dollar Ponzi scheme.

Mr. Bharara was recommended by Mr. Schumer for the powerful post, which has been held in the past by such figures as Robert M. Morgenthau and Rudolph W. Giuliani, and which handles federal cases in Manhattan, the Bronx and six counties north of the city.

Mr. Bharara served in the federal prosecutorís office in Manhattan from 2000 to 2005, working on organized crime and narcotics cases, among others. After becoming Mr. Schumerís top aide on the Senate Judiciary Committee in 2005, he helped to lead the investigation of the dismissals of United States attorneys in 2006. The investigation, along with one by the House Judiciary Committee, culminated in the resignation of Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales in 2007. . . . .

"Schumer Aide Is Confirmed as United States Attorney," by Benjamin Weiser, The New York Times, 8 Aug 2009
          Bharara ain't no fool, so I don't think he'd be biting the hand that fed him -- at least not without having a more powerful patron already lined up in advance. It's just that, as Democrats go, there's no more powerful Democrat these days than Chuck Schumer. How it happened I can't say, but my gut tells me that Silver isn't in Bharara's sights without Schumer's nod of approval. What I'd love to know is what Silver did to **** off Schumer, 'cause I'd thought that they'd been tight for years -- up 'til now.

Bear in mind that Bharara probably is not going to prosecute Silver personally: a team of attorneys led by an associate US Attorney will likely be doing that. What Bharara does have is a pretty capable team, and he knows how to manage them effectively. And being Schumer's boy, he also knows how to turn it into positive press for himself.

Comment

The speaker of the New York State Assembly, Sheldon Silver, was arrested on federal corruption charges on Thursday and accused of using the power of his office for more than a decade to secure millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks and then covering up his schemes, according to court documents.

Mr. Silver, a Democrat from the Lower East Side of Manhattan who has served as speaker for more than two decades, is accused of a range of corrupt dealings that capitalized on his official position. They include using his position to obtain corrupt payments misrepresented as referral fees from a law firm, funneling state research funds and other benefits to a doctor who in return referred asbestos claims to the law firm where the speaker worked, and secretly helping real estate developers win tax breaks.

more,

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/ny...case.html?_r=0
            Is this a reason to arrest a politician ?

These Americans with their high moral standards

Comment

It first helps to know the man.

Bharara ain't no fool, so I don't think he'd be biting the hand that fed him -- at least not without having a more powerful patron already lined up in advance. It's just that, as Democrats go, there's no more powerful Democrat these days than Chuck Schumer. How it happened I can't say, but my gut tells me that Silver isn't in Bharara's sights without Schumer's nod of approval. What I'd love to know is what Silver did to **** off Schumer, 'cause I'd thought that they'd been tight for years -- up 'til now.

Bear in mind that Bharara probably is not going to prosecute Silver personally: a team of attorneys led by an associate US Attorney will likely be doing that. What Bharara does have is a pretty capable team, and he knows how to manage them effectively. And being Schumer's boy, he also knows how to turn it into positive press for himself.
              Silver worked in Manhattan, have you ever ran into the guy or been present at one of his rallies?

When not in Albany, Sheldon Silver, the speaker of the New York State Assembly, has spent much of his life within a small pocket of the district that he has represented for almost four decades on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. It is an area bounded by the tenement building he grew up in, the synagogue he attended and the brown-brick condominium complex where he resides today.

Mr. Silver, 70, a Democrat, is an outsize presence in this enclave near the foot of the Williamsburg Bridge ó one regularly roiled by tensions between gentrifiers and neighborhood mainstays, between recent immigrants and his largely Jewish base ó and opinions of him whipped through the Lower East Side on Thursday, pitting neighbor against neighbor. Throughout the day, the topic of his arrest bounced from bialy shop to bus stop, bandied between those who loved him and those who said they would love to see him fall.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/ny...pgtype=article

I find this case to be unfortunate, its possible that Gov Cuomo is trying to hid something,

Gov. Cuomo called the arrest of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver "a bad reflection on government" but would not say if he believes the embattled pol should resign his leadership post.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2088352

Cuomo is said to be a possible democratic candidate for the 2016 Presidential race, if Cuomo is found to have been linked to Silvers corruption charges, it wont be a good thing for Cuomos political future.

Comment

He should plead the George Costanza defense
                Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorence on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time.

Comment

It sounds like Silver simply made things too obvious and that is usually enough to get a smack down.

Comment

Silver worked in Manhattan, have you ever ran into the guy or been present at one of his rallies?
                    Oh yeah. Used to work with his son: one of the nicest, gentlest people you'll ever meet. I'm convinced that he was adopted, however, 'cause his father is as sarcastic, caustic and as demanding as you can possibly imagine.

]When not in Albany, Sheldon Silver, the speaker of the New York State Assembly, has spent much of his life within a small pocket of the district that he has represented for almost four decades on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. It is an area bounded by the tenement building he grew up in, the synagogue he attended and the brown-brick condominium complex where he resides today.

Mr. Silver, 70, a Democrat, is an outsize presence in this enclave near the foot of the Williamsburg Bridge ó one regularly roiled by tensions between gentrifiers and neighborhood mainstays, between recent immigrants and his largely Jewish base ó and opinions of him whipped through the Lower East Side on Thursday, pitting neighbor against neighbor. Throughout the day, the topic of his arrest bounced from bialy shop to bus stop, bandied between those who loved him and those who said they would love to see him fall.
                    The Times is full of sh*t: the old Jews are almost all gone. Katz's Deli caters to tourists, not locals; the clothiers along Orchard Street have been replaced by hipster coffee houses, and the "bialy shops" are now vegan health food restaurants. The old neighborhood disappeared perhaps ten years ago, maybe earlier.

I find this case to be unfortunate, its possible that Gov Cuomo is trying to hid something,
                    Gov. Cuomo called the arrest of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver "a bad reflection on government" but would not say if he believes the embattled pol should resign his leadership post.
                    Or maybe it's payback for Silver torpedoing his Moreland anti-corruption commission.

But Cumo's right about one thing: in the state that leads the Union in arrested/prosecuted/convicted state legislators, this is the blackest mark yet.

Cuomo is said to be a possible democratic candidate for the 2016 Presidential race, if Cuomo is found to have been linked to Silvers corruption charges, it wont be a good thing for Cuomos political future.
                    Cuomo may be dirty, but not with Silver's crowd. Cuomo took a different path to Albany, so he and Silver don't share too many friends.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    It sounds like Silver simply made things too obvious and that is usually enough to get a smack down.
                    Silver's been obvious for years. He's partner of one of the nation's leading personal injury law firms, so it shouldn't have taken a slide rule to figure out what motivated his stance on tort reform. It was Silver who single-handedly put the kibosh on NYC's Olympic bid: he represents the Dolan family, owners of Cablevision, Madison Square Garden, and the NBA's Knicks and the NHL's Rangers. The Olympic bid included building a 70,000 seat main stadium on Manhattan's West Side, on top of the LIRR yard, mere blocks from The Garden. After the Olympics the stadium was supposed to revert to the NFL's Jets as their permanent home. The Dolans have had Silver on retainer for years, so they just pointed him at the new stadium with orders to terminate: since the stadium was to be built on state land, the Speaker of the Assembly in conjunction with the governor and state senate majority leader have to unanimously authorize the new land use. The Dolans didn't want Jets' traffic interfering with Garden traffic, so their pet Silver gave it the emphatic thumbs-down. There wasn't any notion of trying to change Silver's mind mentioned in any of the papers, 'cause every swingin' d*ck and his mother knew that it was the Dolans paying Silver's bills.

Likewise, Silver's been out-front blocking utility reforms (Cablevision again) redistricting reform, civil service reform, and ethics reform. We've know this for twenty years, and he's never been shy about it. No, it wasn't about being obvious: it was about making the wrong enemy.

Comment

Bye bye Shelly, don't let the door hit you on your way out

I find it despicable that the Assembly Democrats are still sticking up for this crook. If any of them had an ounce of integrity they would boot him as Speaker and urge his resignation. The fact that Comrade De Blasio calls him a "man of integrity" is incredibly repulsive. Goes to show that ideology trumps right vs wrong with these "progressives".

Is Cuomo next? Is New York ready for Governor Kathy Hochul?

Comment

Bingo! I've figured it out!

Now I know why Schumer's looking to throw Silver under a bus: he wants the Garden!

To a non-New Yorker this will make no sense, but the locals will understand. The current iteration of Madison Square Garden (the fourth) was built on top of the Pennsylvania Station's substructure. The old Penn Station train shed was town down in 1965, when the Penn Central went bankrupt (the Federal receiver subsequently divided the assets, with freight going to Conrail, and passenger service going to Amtrak.) The loss of the old Penn Sta was much mourned. It was frankly a very beautiful edifice.

The James A Farley Post Office can be seen in the background of this 1965 photograph showing the demolition of the old Penn Station.

Old Penn Sta was designed by famed architect Stanford White, who ironically designed MSG II -- which was also the scene of his death at the hands of his paramour's irate husband -- but I digress. The trains remained underneath, but with the superstructrue out of the way, the area was clear for a new office tower complex, whose crowning jewel was to be MSG IV, the current iteration. Well anyways, since MSG IV's owners don't actually own the land beneath MSG IV, they've had to get their lease renewed periodically since 1965. In July 2013 the NYC council voted 47-1 to deny the Dolans' request of a perpetual lease, and instead granted a ten year lease only. That was after the Dolans spent three-plus years and $1 billion renovating the place from the studs up. Why? 'Cause for years that parcel was been wanted for building a new Penn Sta.

The late US Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan was the first major political figure to broach the subject of rebuilding Penn Sta. The project languished for decades, but in March of 2009 Chuck Schumer was instrumental in securing $100 million in Federal funds for the project. The Farley Post Office is ready to be given over to the project at a moment's notice, so the only piece of the puzzle remaining outstanding is MSG IV.

The Dolans have deep pockets, and they've proven that they know how to use powerful politicians in order to advance and/or protect their interests. So it only stands to reason that as long as the Dolans hold powerful politicians' leashes that the current Garden will continue to obstruct the new Penn Sta. You can't get rid of the Dolans -- but you can get rid of their political pets. Basically, if you want to get rid of the Garden, you have to get rid of its defender first: you have to get rid of Sheldon Silver. Do that and MSG IV is ripe for the plucking. Chuck Schumer, like legions of egotistical New York politicians who've preceded him, wants his legacy set in concrete and steel -- or maybe Indian marble, a la the Old Penn Sta: there's been a political fetish with public works in this City since the days of Fernando Wood, ie the Civil War. That renders MSG IV -- and Shel Silver -- eminently expendable.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun...forum-20120626
                        http://www.broadchannel1.com/midtown.gif
                        http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-penn-station/
                        http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/ny...d-to-move.html
                        http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/ny...2moynihan.html

And you statists wonder why I'm a cynic.

Comment

Don't let 'em. It's a sacred piece of Americana, just like Fenway Park. They stopped the move to tear down and re-build Fenway didn't they? Well aren't New Yorkers as good as Bostonians?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                            Don't let 'em. It's a sacred piece of Americana, just like Fenway Park. They stopped the move to tear down and re-build Fenway didn't they? Well aren't New Yorkers as good as Bostonians?
                            What some one really needs to do is put an end to Chuck Schumer's career. That's the surest way I know to save The Garden now.

Remember these moments?

Save The Garden!

Comment

And some more:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X