Measles outbreak casts spotlight on anti-vaccine movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    Indeed, the "vaccines cause autism" crowd are just horrible parents - that, or just gullible fools. It also shows the difficulty in getting people to accept scientific fact when even something that is fully disproven and discredited still has so many supporters.

That people would put their own children at risk on the basis of discredited lies... It just blows my mind.
    This!

Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

OK how can an unvaccinated child be a danger to a vaccinated child? If the point of the vaccination is to protect from the disease?
      "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
        OK how can an unvaccinated child be a danger to a vaccinated child? If the point of the vaccination is to protect from the disease?
        Vaccines don't always work 100%. In a small percentage of people it may be possible to contract a disease if they come into contact with it, though it may not be quite as easy to contract it as for someone who is unvaccinated.

http://shotofprevention.com/2011/04/...-unvaccinated/

If vaccination is universal then diseases have a relatively low chance of entering a given community or spreading. The more people there are who are not vaccinated the greater the risk of a disease spreading. Herd immunity is a numbers game.

Herd immunity theory proposes that, in contagious diseases that are transmitted from individual to individual, chains of infection are likely to be disrupted when large numbers of a population are immune or less susceptible to the disease. The greater the proportion of individuals who are resistant, the smaller the probability that a susceptible individual will come into contact with an infectious individual....

Vaccination acts as a sort of firebreak or firewall in the spread of the disease, slowing or preventing further transmission of the disease to others.[4] Unvaccinated individuals are indirectly protected by vaccinated individuals, as the latter are less likely to contract and transmit the disease between infected and susceptible individuals.[3] Hence, a public health policy of herd immunity may be used to reduce spread of an illness and provide a level of protection to a vulnerable, unvaccinated subgroup. Since only a small fraction of the population (or herd) can be left unvaccinated for this method to be effective, it is considered best left for those who cannot safely receive vaccines because of a medical condition such as an immune disorder, organ transplant recipients, or people with egg allergies.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity
        Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
          Because it's not a 100% defense. It's something like 99% effective - meaning that the more people who are not vaccinated and sick, the greater the risk of exposing children to the disease and having that one in one-hundred risk.

But more importantly, there are numbers of people for whom the vaccine doesn't work effectively or to whom the vaccine cannot be given, such as newborns and the elderly. There is a minimum age for receiving the vaccine.

Comment

Seems that the folks I know who are against childhood vacinations are also against Genetically Modified crops and wish hemp clothes could be purchased worldwide. None have impressed me with their pseudoscience or what they feel is a highly developed intellect.
            "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
              Hell I had measles..... lasted about 3 days and over it. not like its life threatening on a scale like cancer...........unles i'm mistaken its not as deadly as the Flu.....
              Dumb argument, since all those that did not get off as lightly as you and are in the cemetery, where it is somewhat more difficult to post onto social media.
              One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
              Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Originally posted by Trailboss49 View Post
                Seems that the folks I know who are against childhood vacinations are also against Genetically Modified crops and wish hemp clothes could be purchased worldwide. None have impressed me with their pseudoscience or what they feel is a highly developed intellect.
                It's the whole range of anti-science folk, from creationists to global warming folks to young earthers, who can range from far-right to far-left. They reject what is accepted by the scientific community in favor of their own brand of crazy.

Thankfully they're in a minority, but even then there are still too many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailboss49 View Post
                  Clearly you move in narrow circles. As DoD pointed out & as has been discussed on this thread, the problem defies easy categorization by social 'type'. It includes people from all over the political & religious spectrum; it includes people from highly educated backgrounds & from ill-educated backgrounds. Dig back through a few posts & you'll find links that will help flesh out your perspective a bit.

In my observation people who try to attach a particular 'type' to the behaviour say more about their own views than those of people who refuse to vaccinate their children.
                  Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                    In my observation people who try to attach a particular 'type' to the behaviour say more about their own views than those of people who refuse to vaccinate their children.
                    You deserve some rep for that one.

Comment

The real kicker for Rhett is that he will be able to have a titer done at the 12 month mark post treatment. He'll be able to get his immunizations within 6 months after that.

Carl Krawitt has watched his son, Rhett, now 6, fight leukemia for the past 4 1/2 years. For more than three of those years, Rhett has undergone round after round of chemotherapy. Last year he finished chemotherapy, and doctors say he is in remission.

Now, there's a new threat, one that the family should not have to worry about: measles.

Rhett cannot be vaccinated, because his immune system is still rebuilding. It may be months more before his body is healthy enough to get all his immunizations. Until then, he depends on everyone around him for protection what's known as herd immunity.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015...nated-children
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                        Berlin.1945
                        by casanova
                        The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                        Yesterday, 23:41
                      • casanova
                        AW 169M
                        by casanova
                        The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                        Yesterday, 23:26
                      • JBark
                        What changed?
                        by JBark
                        There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                        Yesterday, 18:54
                      Working...
                      X