Boehner Invites Netanyahu To Speak Before Congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boehner Invites Netanyahu To Speak Before Congress

It appears Obama's policies on Iran and Israel are not making Congress happy.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will address Congress on March 3, House Speaker John Boehner announced Thursday -- after inviting the Israeli leader to speak to lawmakers about the threat from Iran.
    The House speaker invited Netanyahu without clearing it first with the Obama administration. Such invitations typically are coordinated with the White House and State Department.
    But Boehner cast the invitation as part of Congress' effort to stay tough on Iran, as the Obama administration forges a possible nuclear deal with the country. Boehner on Wednesday denied any suggestion he was "poking [the White House] in the eye," though White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest noted the invitation was a breach in protocol.
    Boehner originally asked Netanyahu to speak in February. His office now says the prime minister will address a joint session of Congress on March 3. A source told Fox News the Israeli leader requested the date be changed so he only would have to make one trip to the U.S. before Israeli elections; he also plans to attend an AIPAC conference in Washington at the time.
    Boehner had announced the invitation a day after President Obama delivered his State of the Union address, in which he threatened to veto a bill -- backed by Republicans and some Democrats -- to tee up more sanctions against Iran in case negotiations fail to curtail the country's nuclear enrichment program.
    Obama warned the legislation would "all but guarantee that diplomacy fails.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ntcmp=HPBucket

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It appears Obama's policies on Iran and Israel are not making Congress happy.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ntcmp=HPBucket
    Wow. That is sticking their thumbs in Obama's eye.

This reminds me of a discussion on WWI we are having, where Wilson got an Armistice with Germany that led directly to WWII, despite the desperate urgings of military men (Foch, Pershing) and the Republican Senate to press on to victory so Germany would be convinced that war was a bad option --- which they would only be if they suffered invasion themselves instead of always visiting it on other people.

Obama is eager to make it easy for Iran to get The Bomb, and presumably to bomb us and Israel, as they constantly say they want to --- at high levels in the Iranian government. Why this seems like a GOOD idea to the administration, I don't know.

I'm with the Republican Senate ---- now and in 1918. Much better to hang tough now than get nuked later.

Comment

The Jewish lobby has many friends on both sides of the aisle, and they won a lot of good feelings in the last election.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Address Congress or address the House?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          The Jewish lobby has many friends on both sides of the aisle, and they won a lot of good feelings in the last election.
          Jew's "won a lot of good feelings in the last election?" What does that mean?

Exit polls show American Jews vote on the economy, healthcare, social programs, women's rights.....all things the GOP **** on.

I'm sure Israelis like to be used as a political football.
          #occupyarmchairgeneral.
          Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
          Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Address Congress or address the House?
            Looks like in a joint session.
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

That is a major jab in Obama's eye. Given Obama has snubbed Netanyahu more than once and is overwhelmingly unpopular in Israel I'd say this is a direct throw down the gauntlet on foreign policy.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                That is a major jab in Obama's eye. Given Obama has snubbed Netanyahu more than once and is overwhelmingly unpopular in Israel I'd say this is a direct throw down the gauntlet on foreign policy.
                I think you're right.

And its a reminder to the Dems in Congress that the GOP remembers their friends. Obama is fading down, but the Jewish lobby will be around forever.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  I think you're right.
                  Obama is fading down, but the Jewish lobby will be around forever.
                  You better believe it, It's been around and strong for well over 50 years and I don't see it diminishing any time soon!
                  Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    Very plainly.

If Netanyahu accepts it will be against protocol: normally leaders of foreign states schedule their visits through the White House. The White House, however, was told about it by Boehner's staff --- sez the Wall Street Journal today.

According to the WSJ, this is retaliation for Obama having gotten David Cameron here to lobby (yes, he lobbied senators) for leaving alone the sanctions issue and not interfering with the ongoing diplomacy, if that's what it should be called. Promotion of Iranian nuclear arms, I'd say.

Comment

(Reuters) 1/22 - President Barack Obama will not meet Israel's prime minister when he visits Washington in March, the White House said on Thursday, after being blindsided by the Republicans' invitation to Benjamin Netanyahu to address the U.S. Congress on Iran.

I guess Netanyahu did accept --------- [:-)

After the above, the article went on to repeat about four White House statements that it's only because the White House doesn't schedule visits with foreign heads of state in close proximity to their elections.

See. That's why. Sure.

Comment

The Speaker of the House has the prerogative of inviting someone to address a joint session of Congress.

It was reported today that Obama won't meet with Netanyahu. It looks like the president is 'sulking in his tent.'

Sincerely,
                        M
                        We are not now that strength which in old days
                        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...-boehner-says/
                          We are not now that strength which in old days
                          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Phebe View Post

Obama is eager to make it easy for Iran to get The Bomb, and presumably to bomb us and Israel, as they constantly say they want to --- at high levels in the Iranian government. Why this seems like a GOOD idea to the administration, I don't know.
                            Hmmm...why would an anti-American, Muslim president want to make it easier for our Muslim enemies to get nuclear weapons?

I think the answer is self-evident, Phebe.

BTW...Obama has already announced that he will not meet with Netanyahu. That seems pretty clear to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Hmmm...why would an anti-American, Muslim president want to make it easier for our Muslim enemies to get nuclear weapons?

I think the answer is self-evident, Phebe.

BTW...Obama has already announced that he will not meet with Netanyahu. That seems pretty clear to me.
                              I was thinking it might be awkward for Obama to promote nukes for Iran if he were living in a bomb-worthy city, like Chicago.

However, maybe he means to retire to Hawaii; nobody would ever attack Hawaii.

No, wait................................

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X