Seante Majority Leader McConnell Blasts Obama Over Veto Threat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seante Majority Leader McConnell Blasts Obama Over Veto Threat

WASHINGTON – Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell blasted President Obama on Wednesday for vowing to veto the first bill of the new, Republican-controlled Senate -- legislation to approve the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline.
    In his first major floor speech as majority leader, the Kentucky Republican pushed for bipartisan cooperation on major issues but said it could "only be achieved if, if, President Obama is interested in it."
    He added: "And I assure you, threatening to veto a jobs and infrastructure bill within minutes of a new Congress taking the oath of office -- a bill with strong bipartisan support -- is anything but productive."
    McConnell's top lieutenants echoed his concerns, with Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, R-Texas, calling the "premature" veto threats "deeply irresponsible and troubling."
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ystone-senate/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

That's what it looks like it is coming down to. The new Congress is likely to pass considerable legislation, much of it on bipartisan votes, and Obama will be vetoing it Left and Left.

It will be very obvious where the obstruction is in the system by mid to late 2015.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if they can muster the simple 2/3rds vote needed to override Obama's veto.

Honeymoon's over for Obie.

Comment

And the 'V' word came from the White House as soon as a hint was given for the new legislation.

There's three vetoes already talked about and stated by the White House over forthcoming legislation.

They haven't even read it yet...

And the Keystone Pipeline legislation is being begun by a Democrat and a Republican together and has over 60 sponsors from both parties.

Sincerely,
        M
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

As the Chinese say: "May we live in interesting times..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            ...It will be interesting to see if they can muster the simple 2/3rds vote needed to override Obama's veto...
            Yep. Very interesting.

Comment

It will only take one override of a veto to finish that game...

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how POTUS apologists spin this so that it's the Republicans fault. It'll be really interesting when some of these bills pass with more than a 66% majority meaning they can override the POTUS veto. Wonder if the POTUS will write another Executive Order overruling the law. We will just have to wait and see.
                "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ystone-senate/

WASHINGTON – Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell blasted President Obama on Wednesday for vowing to veto the first bill of the new, Republican-controlled Senate -- legislation to approve the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline.

That's how stupid the Righties are, or at least Turtle is, ..they picked Keystone as a first sign of their new bipartisanship and ability to get things done.

#occupyarmchairgeneral.
                  Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
                  Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

I hate bipartisanship. It seems it always the Republicans that are expected to be bipartisan. Screw that. Bipartisanship= spineless. I didn't vote Republican (probably for the last time) for them to pander to the Dems. I want them to attack everything Obama and the Dems have done. That is the promise most of them ran on anyway.
                    “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                    --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post
                      I hate bipartisanship. It seems it always the Republicans that are expected to be bipartisan. Screw that. Bipartisanship= spineless. I didn't vote Republican (probably for the last time) for them to pander to the Dems. I want them to attack everything Obama and the Dems have done. That is the promise most of them ran on anyway.
                      Bipartisanship frightens presidents like Obama because it lessens the solidity of the party line.

In reality, presidents are supposed to strive for bipartisan agreement when running the nation.

Comment

Bipartisanship frightens presidents like Obama because it lessens the solidity of the party line.

In reality, presidents are supposed to strive for bipartisan agreement when running the nation.

Don't you think Turtle would have to be stupid to use Keystone XL as a way to find bipartisanship?

...or do you think Turtle was lying?
                        #occupyarmchairgeneral.
                        Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                          Don't you think Turtle would have to be stupid to use Keystone XL as a way to find bipartisanship?

...or do you think Turtle was lying?
                          Neither. Americans want the Keystone Pipeline, and a lot of Democrat's constituents want it too.

Keystone is an excellent test case against Obama's threatened vetoes because of its popular support.

Comment

Neither. Americans want the Keystone Pipeline, and a lot of Democrat's constituents want it too.

Keystone is an excellent test case against Obama's threatened vetoes because of its popular support.
                            I agree. Keystone is popular except on the Environmentalist Left. It has wide bi-partisan support. Obama just lost on the Resolution copper mine in Arizona too. His administration had held that up since taking office.
                            Keystone has wide bi-partisan support and if the veto is overridden it will weaken Obama's position on future legislation greatly.

It will in any case be a clear demonstration of bi-partisan cooperation in the Congress versus obstinate refusal to compromise coming from the White House. The Republicans can build off a veto a case that Obama is the obstructionist in the next year. A win gives them a win.

Comment

Test Obama?

I'll just repost this for your pleasure.

#occupyarmchairgeneral.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X