Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Environmentalism and Global Warming Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    The Political Environmentalism Thread

    Since bureaucrats are incapable of doing anything useful, this should be no surprise...
    New study translated: public servants are more likely to become eco-activists

    For example, for NASA GISS administrator, James Hansen, aka patient zero, seen below being arrested at a climate protest ...


    UGA research reveals public servants individually motivated to help environment

    Athens, Ga. – New University of Georgia research shows that while on the job, public servants contribute not just to mandated sustainability but also to discretionary…

    [...]

    http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/12/0...eco-activists/
    Oh,, doc. good standard demand identifying a publication that you write the articles for....

    as per your Calgary buddies''''

    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Friends_of_Science
    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

    Comment


    • Hansen is another one like Mann that has resorted to the courts to shut up opponents and force their views on Gorebal Warming down everyone's throats. One aspect of their lawsuits that is pretty consistent is that they foot drag big time. Mann's suit against Ball went on, and nowhere for over a decade. His one in the DC courts against Mark Steyn of National Review (with similar charges to those against Ball), has been going on for over seven (7) years.

      https://reason.com/2018/02/11/whatev...l-manns-defam/

      Hansen is a plaintiff in the Juilana v. US case representing (no, I'm not making this up) "Future generations." Now, I don't know how someone who isn't even conceived in the womb can be a plaintiff to a lawsuit, but apparently they can. Interestingly, that sort of contradicts the abortion rights crowd doesn't it...

      Comment


      • 1309_globaltemps_agency_comparison_2018.gif.pagespeed.ce.108e5NH4sX.gif
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • Source for above was here: https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/.

          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

          Comment


          • The problem isn't that world temperature is rising, but rather the cause. The Gorebal Warming bunch started early on with the cry It's human made CO2! Then the modelling supportive climate scientists did didn't match actual results as time went on. In fact, the models got worse and worse at predicting climate change.

            The leading Gorebal Warming bunch, the IPCC, has been putting out alarmist papers and predictions for decades now. They've been almost entirely wrong each time. This time, that bunch is saying life (or civilization) as we know it will end in a decade if we don't enact a mostly heavily Socialist agenda of government led fixes.

            That doesn't impress me as reason to act. It's pretty damn obvious we don't know enough about planetary atmosphere and oceanic interactions and causes to determine with any real certainty what's causing the temperature to rise or if it will continue. Correlation doesn't equal causation necessarily.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

              The problem isn't that world temperature is rising, but rather the cause. The Gorebal Warming bunch started early on with the cry It's human made CO2! Then the modelling supportive climate scientists did didn't match actual results as time went on. In fact, the models got worse and worse at predicting climate change.

              The leading Gorebal Warming bunch, the IPCC, has been putting out alarmist papers and predictions for decades now. They've been almost entirely wrong each time. This time, that bunch is saying life (or civilization) as we know it will end in a decade if we don't enact a mostly heavily Socialist agenda of government led fixes.

              That doesn't impress me as reason to act. It's pretty damn obvious we don't know enough about planetary atmosphere and oceanic interactions and causes to determine with any real certainty what's causing the temperature to rise or if it will continue. Correlation doesn't equal causation necessarily.
              Except they haven't and they didn't, the models have been refined and they have withstood scrutiny.

              It's all lining up with the data available: the sun's output, the relative tilt and position of the earth etc etc... Might not be perfect but the other crowd isn't really doing anything other than conspiracy theories and copy and pasting other people's work......

              Dozens and dozens of climate scientists, chemist's, physicists, volcanologists, geologists, etc etc all actively collecting data and producing papers by the hundreds and all coming to the same conclusion....

              OR

              Dr Tim Ball (inactive scientist) Patrick Moore (inactive scientist) James Delingpole (doesn't do science, actual quote), Watts up with that (college dropout),Climate Sctick (doesn't read papers), No Trick Zone (has been emailed dozens of times by papers authors explaining to him that he can't read), Wry Heat (science is too hard) and Mark Steyn (who also surprisingly enough is, also not a scientist)

              Let me think .......

              Comment


              • Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

                The problem isn't that world temperature is rising, but rather the cause. The Gorebal Warming bunch started early on with the cry It's human made CO2! Then the modelling supportive climate scientists did didn't match actual results as time went on. In fact, the models got worse and worse at predicting climate change.

                The leading Gorebal Warming bunch, the IPCC, has been putting out alarmist papers and predictions for decades now. They've been almost entirely wrong each time. This time, that bunch is saying life (or civilization) as we know it will end in a decade if we don't enact a mostly heavily Socialist agenda of government led fixes.

                That doesn't impress me as reason to act. It's pretty damn obvious we don't know enough about planetary atmosphere and oceanic interactions and causes to determine with any real certainty what's causing the temperature to rise or if it will continue. Correlation doesn't equal causation necessarily.
                You need to actually read what the IPCC has actually predicted: https://www.climatecentral.org/news/...rsus-now-15340
                Generally, the IPCC has underestimated the impact of man on the climate.
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                Comment


                • Jane Fonda claims she’s been a ‘climate scientist’ for decades

                  ...
                  Jane Fonda has worn many hats during her Hollywood career — model, actress, activist — but apparently she also considers herself a climate scientist.

                  “I’ve been a climate scientist for decades and decades,” Ms. Fonda told ABC News in an interview shortly before she was arrested Friday during a protest at the Capitol in D.C.
                  ...
                  It was unclear what Ms. Fonda meant when she called herself a “climate scientist.” She attended Vassar College, where she studied subjects such as physiology, but did not graduate, according to a 2006 interview in the Harvard Crimson.

                  Jane Fonda Says She’s Been ‘Climate Scientist For Decades’ https://t.co/G3vjmgUj0p
                  — Marc Morano (@ClimateDepot) October 13, 2019

                  Jane Fonda, Climate Scientist, to the Rescue https://t.co/GI6z6rxHXE
                  — Watts Up With That (@wattsupwiththat) October 14, 2019
                  ...
                  http://www.gopusa.com/jane-fonda-cla...t-for-decades/

                  Comment


                  • Actress, Communist, traitor, why not 'climate scientist' too? Maybe she played one on TV or something...

                    Comment


                    • Or got her "scientist" qualifications same place as Al Gore.

                      One only needs to be a bona fide "scientist" if disputing the hypothesis of ACC/AGW it would seem.

                      Comment


                      • I was trying to get information on planet wide "greening". NASA had contradictory information. I get the impression that any possible positive effect of increased co2 that slips through the editorial filter gets "corrected" pretty quickly.
                        We hunt the hunters

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                          Jane Fonda claims she’s been a ‘climate scientist’ for decades

                          ...
                          Jane Fonda has worn many hats during her Hollywood career — model, actress, activist — but apparently she also considers herself a climate scientist.

                          “I’ve been a climate scientist for decades and decades,” Ms. Fonda told ABC News in an interview shortly before she was arrested Friday during a protest at the Capitol in D.C.
                          ...
                          It was unclear what Ms. Fonda meant when she called herself a “climate scientist.&#
                          8221; She attended Vassar College, where she studied subjects such as physiology, but did not graduate, according to a 2006 interview in the Harvard Crimson.

                          Jane Fonda Says She’s Been ‘Climate Scientist For Decades’ https://t.co/G3vjmgUj0p
                          — Marc Morano (@ClimateDepot) October 13, 2019

                          Jane Fonda, Climate Scientist, to the Rescue https://t.co/GI6z6rxHXE
                          — Watts Up With That (@wattsupwiththat) October 14, 2019
                          ...
                          http://www.gopusa.com/jane-fonda-cla...t-for-decades/

                          Hot flashes, apparently....
                          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by marktwain View Post

                            Hot flashes, apparently....
                            Same for Al Gore and his "Inconvenient Truth(Lies)" you think ???

                            Comment


                            • University ousts professor who defied climate-change narrative on polar bears

                              ...
                              Nobody has done more to sink the claim that climate change is endangering polar bears than zoologist Susan Crockford — and she may have paid for it with her job.

                              After 15 years as an adjunct assistant professor, Ms. Crockford said the University of Victoria refused without explanation in May to renew her contract, despite her high profile as a speaker and author stemming from her widely cited research on polar bears and dog domestication.

                              Ms. Crockford accused officials at the Canadian university of bowing to “outside pressure,” the result of her research showing that polar bear populations are stable and even thriving, not plummeting as a result of shrinking Arctic sea ice, defying claims of the climate change movement.

                              Her dismissal, which she announced Wednesday in a post on her Polar Bear Science blog, has spurred alarm over the implications for academic freedom and the rise of the “cancel culture” for professors and scientists who challenge climate catastrophe predictions.

                              “When push came to shove, UVic threw me under the bus rather than stand up for my academic freedom,” said Ms. Crockford, who earned a Ph.D. in interdisciplinary studies, specifically biology and anthropology, in 2004.
                              ...
                              The statement fell short of denying that Ms. Crockford’s dismissal was linked to her polar bear scholarship, which almost single-handedly blew up the climate change movement’s promotion of the bears as iconic victims of anthropogenic global warming.

                              Her books include “The Polar Bear Catastrophe That Never Happened,” published in February, in which she said the bears are not threatened. She noted that the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s 2015 Red List of Threatened Species puts polar bear numbers at 22,000 to 31,000 despite a widespread belief that the population has dropped to a few thousand.

                              ‘Cancel culture’ and academic freedom

                              Marc Morano, author of “The Politically Incorrect Guide to Climate Change,” said situations like Ms. Crockford’s have become “all too common in the climate debate.”

                              He cited examples of prominent scientists who “came out” as skeptics only after retiring.

                              “Professor after professor has been hounded, silenced, censured or fired for speaking out against the approved man-made climate crisis narrative,” Mr. Morano said. “The message to any climate dissenters in academia is once again reinforced: Stay silent with your skepticism or risk endangering your career.”

                              University of Victoria economics professor Cornelis van Kooten warned of the threat to free speech on campus. “I think the climate change movement has done extreme harm to academic freedom,” he said, and the movement isn’t alone.

                              “Put it this way: religion, race, evolution, gender, indigenous peoples, nuclear power, polar bears, deforestation. … Any views on these topics that don’t fall in line with the ‘consensus’ are taboo,” Mr. van Kooten said in an email. “Think the extent to which free speech has been banned from campuses across much of the West in the name of political correctness.”
                              ...
                              http://www.gopusa.com/?p=78043?omhide=true

                              The "flat earth"ers are back and growing in numbers and influence/intimidation.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                                University ousts professor who defied climate-change narrative on polar bears

                                ...
                                Nobody has done more to sink the claim that climate change is endangering polar bears than zoologist Susan Crockford — and she may have paid for it with her job.

                                After 15 years as an adjunct assistant professor, Ms. Crockford said the University of Victoria refused without explanation in May to renew her contract, despite her high profile as a speaker and author stemming from her widely cited research on polar bears and dog domestication.

                                Ms. Crockford accused officials at the Canadian university of bowing to “outside pressure,” the result of her research showing that polar bear populations are stable and even thriving, not plummeting as a result of shrinking Arctic sea ice, defying claims of the climate change movement.

                                Her dismissal, which she announced Wednesday in a post on her Polar Bear Science blog, has spurred alarm over the implications for academic freedom and the rise of the “cancel culture” for professors and scientists who challenge climate catastrophe predictions.

                                “When push came to shove, UVic threw me under the bus rather than stand up for my academic freedom,” said Ms. Crockford, who earned a Ph.D. in interdisciplinary studies, specifically biology and anthropology, in 2004.
                                ...
                                The statement fell short of denying that Ms. Crockford’s dismissal was linked to her polar bear scholarship, which almost single-handedly blew up the climate change movement’s promotion of the bears as iconic victims of anthropogenic global warming.

                                Her books include “The Polar Bear Catastrophe That Never Happened,” published in February, in which she said the bears are not threatened. She noted that the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s 2015 Red List of Threatened Species puts polar bear numbers at 22,000 to 31,000 despite a widespread belief that the population has dropped to a few thousand.

                                ‘Cancel culture’ and academic freedom

                                Marc Morano, author of “The Politically Incorrect Guide to Climate Change,” said situations like Ms. Crockford’s have become “all too common in the climate debate.”

                                He cited examples of prominent scientists who “came out” as skeptics only after retiring.

                                “Professor after professor has been hounded, silenced, censured or fired for speaking out against the approved man-made climate crisis narrative,” Mr. Morano said. “The message to any climate dissenters in academia is once again reinforced: Stay silent with your skepticism or risk endangering your career.”

                                University of Victoria economics professor Cornelis van Kooten warned of the threat to free speech on campus. “I think the climate change movement has done extreme harm to academic freedom,” he said, and the movement isn’t alone.

                                “Put it this way: religion, race, evolution, gender, indigenous peoples, nuclear power, polar bears, deforestation. … Any views on these topics that don’t fall in line with the ‘consensus’ are taboo,” Mr. van Kooten said in an email. “Think the extent to which free speech has been banned from campuses across much of the West in the name of political correctness.”
                                ...
                                http://www.gopusa.com/?p=78043?omhide=true

                                The "flat earth"ers are back and growing in numbers and influence/intimidation.
                                Few things....

                                1. Her contract wasn't renewed, your own article mentions that. Not really being 'ousted' is it.......
                                2. None of her Polar Bear work has been peer reviewed, so yes whilst it has been widely 'cited' by Climate Change Denial Blogs she isn't an authority on that particular issue....she is just another blogger.

                                And there are a few other things but I don't want to start attacking the character of a lady I know very little about....

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X