Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Environmentalism and Global Warming Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    If its any comfort to our Michigan friends, the Baltic didn't freeze over in this abnormally warm year....

    http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
    Attached Files
    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
      Well just because it's cold in Sag Nasty (is that a real place ?) doesn't mean it isn't warming someplace else,

      it's called "Global" warming after all, you're looking for averages.

      But a heartfelt **** you too, by all means

      Edit:



      Let us know when it comes back...

      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by marktwain View Post
        If its any comfort to our Michigan friends, the Baltic didn't freeze over in this abnormally warm year....

        http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
        The Baltic doesn't normally freeze over...



        The magenta line is the median (normal) January ice edge.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

        Comment


        • #49
          http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/20...hwest-passage/

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
            The Baltic doesn't normally freeze over...



            The magenta line is the median (normal) January ice edge.
            It varies:

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
              It varies:
              The Bay of Bothnia routinely experiences 10-60 cm of winter ice; however the main body of the Baltic Sea does not freeze over...http://en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/ice-conditions
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

              Comment


              • #52
                They better have an icebreaker on hand...

                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                Comment


                • #53
                  We had this kind of headache last year. Glad it's moved on from us, not so glad anyone else needs to suffer from it.

                  But, hey...that's good old-fashioned winter for you.
                  The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    You need to move somewhere more hospitable...

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Not to argue one way or another, but most if not all posters here do not seem to realize that "global warming" refers to the amount of heat absorbed by the ocean (The major planetary heat sink.) Not the weather, not the air temperature, not the temperature of the surface of the ocean, not the ice mass. While all of these things will sooner or later be impacted by increased oceanic heat absorption, they are not themselves indicators one way or another of global warming. Please, if we are going to debate a topic lets at least debate it and not debate made up "indicators"
                      Boston Strong!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by JSMoss View Post
                        Not to argue one way or another, but most if not all posters here do not seem to realize that "global warming" refers to the amount of heat absorbed by the ocean (The major planetary heat sink.) Not the weather, not the air temperature, not the temperature of the surface of the ocean, not the ice mass. While all of these things will sooner or later be impacted by increased oceanic heat absorption, they are not themselves indicators one way or another of global warming. Please, if we are going to debate a topic lets at least debate it and not debate made up "indicators"
                        Nup. I was told to go... do rude things to myself... even before I'd considered the question.

                        Facts are going to struggle in this ideological debate.
                        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

                        That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                          The Bay of Bothnia routinely experiences 10-60 cm of winter ice; however the main body of the Baltic Sea does not freeze over...http://en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/ice-conditions
                          SO -What?
                          completely off topic- Davey....
                          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Look at the bright side ...

                            ... not much chance of lake effect snow! I worked most of the 80's in the Arctic watershed, we'd get highs of -30'F for a week or two at a time on occasion, everything ran as usual. But I'll tell you, when you get older, aching joints and muscles really feel it; this cold has felt worse than I remember, if I don't have to go out, I DON'T!

                            Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                            Drudge Report.
                            BLAST: Coldest Temps Since Late-1800s in East...
                            'Life-threatening' Freeze Hits South...
                            Record Lows Challenged in FL...
                            RIDICULOUS: DC FEELS LIKE -20º
                            CHICAGO SMASHES RECORD...
                            LIVE: CHILL MAP...

                            And, this morning from the kitchen indoor outdoor at 6AM. This is not wind chill either.

                            All schools are closed, cars won't start, frozen water pipes, furnace running continuously, double pane insulated windows with ice forming at the base of the glass, a water main has ruptured as pavement buckles under the pressure of frozen ground. You climate freaks can go yourself!
                            "I am Groot"
                            - Groot

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              It's not that simple. Here in Utah, we have been unseasonably warm and have had historically low levels of snow. The drought this coming summer is going to be brutal.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by JSMoss View Post
                                Not to argue one way or another, but most if not all posters here do not seem to realize that "global warming" refers to the amount of heat absorbed by the ocean (The major planetary heat sink.) Not the weather, not the air temperature, not the temperature of the surface of the ocean, not the ice mass. While all of these things will sooner or later be impacted by increased oceanic heat absorption, they are not themselves indicators one way or another of global warming. Please, if we are going to debate a topic lets at least debate it and not debate made up "indicators"
                                Interesting ... considering most of the ACC/AGW proponents are banging away that it's all the fault of a slight increase in atmospheric CO2. At 400 ppmv(dry) that works out to a ratio of 1 to 2500, CO2 versus N2, O2, Argon, etc.

                                Perhaps you'd consider providing some input to the "climate change/global warming" threads here.
                                TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X