X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflecting on the U.S. Occupation of Haiti, One Hundred Years Later

Hi

Hope its of some interest:-

This year marks the anniversary of two cataclysmic events in Haitian history: the U.S. occupation of Haiti in 1915 and the earthquake of 2010. While the latter deserves (and is receiving) ample attention, I plan on devoting my posts this year to the centennial of the occupation. This post introduces what I hope will be a compelling series for readers interested in the links among U.S. imperialism, Haiti, and black intellectual history.

In 1915, United States Marines invaded Haiti. U.S. policymakers justified the invasion by pointing to the death of Haitian President Vilbrun Guillaume Sam at the hands of a mob. But this violence was more a convenience than a concern. U.S. officials had spent the previous decades attempting to obtain Haitian territory for use as a coaling station and sanctioning the seizure of Haitian finances by U.S. banks.
    http://aaihs.org/reflecting-on-the-u...d-years-later/

Regards

Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Well, it could be interesting. Unless, of course, the conclusions drawn point to everything wrong with Haiti having their roots in the Marine occupation.
    dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
      Well, it could be interesting. Unless, of course, the conclusions drawn point to everything wrong with Haiti having their roots in the Marine occupation.
      Which according to the article, it did.
      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
      George Mason
      Co-author of the Second Amendment
      during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Which according to the article, it did.
        Cyber, I am truly shocked, shocked I tell you. I shall inform Rick to turn my night's winnings over to you. Richly deserved, I might add.
        dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X