Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. agent shot to death in Mexico

U.S. agent shot to death in Mexico is identified

Jaime J. Zapata was one of two U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents ambushed by gunmen in central Mexico, officials say. Zapata was killed Tuesday and the other agent was wounded in a 'narco-blockade.'
    more from the LA Times - http://www.latimes.com/news/la-fg-me...,3403252.story
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Sad news, today was a bad day in law enforcement - a Deputy US Marshal was killed in West Virginia and 2 other deputies wounded

It sounds like a mole in the Mexican government leaked their presence and they were ambushed. Also, there was an attempted attack on a port of entry in McAllen, TX today as well.

Comment

Because there were only two men in the vehicle, one commentator suggested it may have been a kidnapping gang thinking they had a quick payday coming. Nasty surprise for them.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
        Because there were only two men in the vehicle, one commentator suggested it may have been a kidnapping gang thinking they had a quick payday coming. Nasty surprise for them.
        That sounds like another pretty good theory, especially since it was an Embassy SUV with diplomatic plates. They might have seen dollar signs as soon as they saw the plates.

Comment

Had it been an embassy SUV (Chevy Suburbans, if thing haven't changed) with diplomatic plates, the killings had to be premeditated. More than likely, it was a privately owned SUV with "Tecnico" licenses plates. These are the plates issued to individuals accredited to the Embassy who have diplomatic privileges but are not diplomats. The Mexicans are very picky about who gets the 'diplomatico' plates, and the druggies should be aware of this, but there are always new employees in any large organization..
          dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

So this could have been perpetrated by a crew of ten-percent-ers? The ones that never seem to get the message.

Comment

When we left Mexico City in '97, the most commonly traveled routefor anyone in the U.S. Embassy was from Mexico City up through Queretero to San Luis Potosi to Torreon, then Saltillo, then Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo, where we crossed into the U.S.. The Embassy did not have an APO, and all mail for the Embassy was deposited in PO Box in Laredo, and picked up several times a week. The Embassy Commissary owned a truck which also made that run on a several times a week basis. The trip then took two days, but a new toll road scheduled to open by '98 was supposed to make it a day long drive. Most people assigned to the Embassy drove down that route to begin their assignment, and when their time was up, they drove it back up. People also drove it on their leaves and vacations to the states. High Ranking Law Enforcement officers attending meetings in the States usually traveled up via a Citation aircraft. If the Druggies were specifically looking for any U.S. person assigned to the Embassy, this is a route that would be well known to them.

But even Druggies have their ten percenters, as the killing of Cardinal Posadas in Guadalajara demonstrated. Good Catholic boys gunned him down because he just had the bad luck to be chauffered in a car that matched the description of the one they were looking for, and having arrived at the airport at the same time a rival Druggie was supposed to pass through. This murder could have been something as simple as someone with a grudge against ICE recognizing the profile of the vehicle and occupants.
              Last edited by lirelou; 21 Feb 11, 10:19.

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
                When we left Mexico City in '97, the most commonly traveled routefor anyone in the U.S. Embassy was from Mexico City up through Queretero to San Luis Potosi to Torreon, then Saltillo, then Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo, where we crossed into the U.S...
                I've taken that route on my motorcycle. Personally, I like the route Saltillo-Monclova-Piedra Negras, which has me enter at Eagle Pass. This way I get to bypass Monterrey. Last I heard the floods took out the Saltillo-Monterrey highway.

I sure like Laredo. La Posada hotel is really nice there in the old square. It used to be a convent and was then Laredo's first high school.

Comment

Hi!

It's shocking how many people get killed in Mexico. So it's not a surprise that one man more was shot. But I ask myself how they ever want to stop the war of drugs and corruption. I love this country but for me it's hard to go there without any fear....

Comment

Originally posted by Mupsi View Post
                    Hi!

It's shocking how many people get killed in Mexico. So it's not a surprise that one man more was shot. But I ask myself how they ever want to stop the war of drugs and corruption. I love this country but for me it's hard to go there without any fear....
                    I wouldn't go to Mexico on a dare. Try Texas or New Mexico. Plenty of Mexican food but you are far less likely to get killed or kidnapped.
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    — Groucho Marx

Comment

Catman, the cuisine of Texas and New Mexico are mere regional variants of Mexican cuisine. The current situation is a loss to all true Mexican gastronomistas. However, if they embargo Tequila, war with Texas will likely ensue.

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
                        Catman, the cuisine of Texas and New Mexico are mere regional variants of Mexican cuisine. The current situation is a loss to all true Mexican gastronomistas. However, if they embargo Tequila, war with Texas will likely ensue.
                        As an expat from the El Paso area, it is naturally the cuisine I favor.
                        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                        — Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                          I wouldn't go to Mexico on a dare...
                          It's not as bad as the media makes out. If you are not in the drug business or the anti-drug business, then you are not really a target.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                            I wouldn't go to Mexico on a dare. Try Texas or New Mexico. Plenty of Mexican food but you are far less likely to get killed or kidnapped.
                            My mum just won a trip there from some radio station. Needless to say I declined her invitation to come along.
                            Three Reichs and you're out.

Comment

Originally posted by Immelmann View Post
                              My mum just won a trip there from some radio station. Needless to say I declined her invitation to come along.
                              Yeah buddy, I'm with you.
                              — Groucho Marx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X