Gunbattles intensifying, spreading in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunbattles intensifying, spreading in Jamaica

Police and soldiers came under sustained heavy fire in the West Kingston stronghold of Christopher "Dudus" Coke, who has been indicted in the U.S. on drug and arms trafficking charges. Military helicopters with mounted guns buzzed above the impoverished area between plumes of black smoke.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100525/..._slum_standoff
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Ah blast-I was going to make this thread to he he. Anyways, I just heard a little about this on the radio today...I guess we should hope that the security forces become the victors.
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

video available

Jamaican security forces are fighting with gunmen as the government attempts to take control of an alleged drug lord's stronghold in the capital.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/lat...a/10148973.stm
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Any body else noticed that those "Come to Jamaica" commercials have disappeared of TV lately....
        Later - Tater
        "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
          Any body else noticed that those "Come to Jamaica" commercials have disappeared of TV lately....
          I don't watch tv so I wouldn't notice, but I should think Jamaica's economy, a large part based on tourism and such, to decline these next couple months
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

O **** i'm heading to Ochos Rios next week or was supposed to be at least. O no mon
            "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
            -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

Originally posted by IronMan15 View Post
              O **** i'm heading to Ochos Rios next week or was supposed to be at least. O no mon
              Well, let's hope that you aren't!

--Hávamál

Comment

Well so far most of it's isolated to Kingston which is pretty far inland but you never know with this type of thing.
                "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
                -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

Well so far most of it's isolated to Kingston which is pretty far inland but you never know with this type of thing.
                  I would wager that kidnapping some American tourists is not to far off. The whole thing start with the US issuing a warrant for some rastah drug lord.
                  Later - Tater
                  "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

500 put into Custody and dozens dead...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ica/index.html

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                      I would wager that kidnapping some American tourists is not to far off. The whole thing start with the US issuing a warrant for some rastah drug lord.
                      Exactly. Just another reason why I always look foward Grand Cayman much more than I do Jamaica on these trips. It'll be interesting to see if Jamaica turns into another Mexico.
                      -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

Here's an interesting spin from Fox:

"Do gun bans really stop criminals from getting guns? Americans need not look no further than the massive gun battle with armed gangs fighting police and soldiers that took place in Kingston, Jamaica today. At least 30 people were killed in the fighting. It is a huge number for a small island nation of fewer than 3 million people, but unfortunately murder is so common in Jamaica that these murders won't even be noticed in the annual crime numbers.

With Chicago's Mayor Daley again claiming that a gun ban is necessary to keep Chicagoans safe, Jamaica and other countries with gun bans might teach Americans a lesson."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/...go-washington/

Includes a little history of crime in Kingston, etc.

--Hávamál

Comment

Good article
                          -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

Good article
                            Thanks-I thought it was interesting, especially the first part that I quoted. I think ANY weapons ban is useless...think if Chicago made a total gun ban...what would criminals care?! So if the police officers bust into a house with billy clubs and get cut down with gunfire...hmmm......makes sense (oh, then that's the reason a governmental person would want to do it!)

Or how about a nuclear weapons ban?! Where would the missiles to be defueled go?! Even more important-why would North Korea, Iran, etc. have any reason to follow along with it?!

But let's please not talk about any of this here...please...it's pretty off topic and I'm sorry I did so, but I just had to get it out when it was still on my mind.

--Hávamál

Comment

Ah yes, the joys of independence. I wonder if the Jamaicans are happy? They never had this kind of crap going on before 1966.

Jamaica vs the Cayman Islands is like night and day. Modern colonialism is the best of both worlds. It's a pretty obvious fact that the remaining Caribbean colonies are light years ahead of those islands that choose independence.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X