Little known fact....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little known fact....

Most people know about the US seizing large areas if Mexico after the Mexican War and how we bought a piece of Mexico with the Gadsden Purchase. Can any of you guess what piece of property we gave back to them?

Clue, it was a Republican President.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Can any of you guess what piece of property we gave back to them?
    Baja California?

Comment

No, and it was not Tijuana either! The area was very popular during Prohibition.

Pruitt

Comment

Was it Matamoros? Since it was the first city taken on the South side of the river and in such close proximity to Brownsville.

My next guess would be Tampico.
        Taylor to Santa Anna: "Tell him to go to hell."
        As translated by Major Bliss: "In reply to your note of this date, summoning me to surrender my forces at discretion, I beg leave to say that I decline acceding to your request."

Comment

Phil,

You are getting close, but you are still a ways off. I will add another clue. The problem was caused by a land company changing the channel of a river. No one noticed for years.

Pruitt

Comment

http://www.ibwc.state.gov/Treaties_M.../treaties.html

If I had to guess again, I would say that it was the Treaty of November 23, 1970 signed by Nixon and it gave a track of land to Mexico in South Texas.
            As translated by Major Bliss: "In reply to your note of this date, summoning me to surrender my forces at discretion, I beg leave to say that I decline acceding to your request."

Comment

Phil,

You have the Treaty, but do you know what the tract of land was called?

Pruitt

Comment

Presidio-Ojinaga Tract, and the Horcón Tract which included the city of Rio Rico.

Comment

Excellent. The name of the town I was looking for was Rio Rico. After the 1972 Treaty giving it back to Mexico, there was a huge number of people of Mexican descent claiming to have been born there. That would have made them American Citizens. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of one of these people in 1977.

I was not aware that a suburb of El Paso was also covered in the treaty. As for the Colorado River, I thought it ran dry many miles from the Gulf of California. It would be very hard to designate the main channel.

Pruitt

Comment

I had lived in El Paso prior to that (stationed at Fort Bliss), and for some reason thought it was called "El Chamizal".
                    dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X