Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juarez - Changing of the Guard

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/notici...en-juarez.aspx

March 1st. 1,800 Mexican troops were changed out in Juarez. This has been a recent strategy to keep soldier identities in flux and to keep corruption down in border areas being quelled by Mexican troops.

In my last four border crossings into Mexico by motorcycle (Laredo, Del Rio, Piedras Negras) it has appeared to me that the local populations overwhelmingly approve of the troop presence in these border cities. I have stopped and talked to some of the troops on patrol. They appear to be very professional and are concerned about protecting their citizens from the narco-traffickers.

Saludos,

Alatriste

Be careful when crossing that border sir. Lots of challenging things
    happening. My last visit was through Tecate myself.

Say you might enjoy a book called "On the Border with Crook" by John Bourke.

an editorial review: "Among the ten best Western books of all time. It has that rare combination, a personal reminiscence covering important events, and a thoroughly scholarly and reliable treatment."-Westerners Brand Book (Westerners Brand Book ) --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Bourke too admires the Indians, especially the Apaches. In fact, one of the book's high points is its almost anthropological descriptions of Apache life, the Arizona landscape, life in the frontier Army, and the social milieu of old Tuscon. The descriptions of Crook's campaigns against the Sioux and Cheyenne flag just a little, but only in comparison to Bourke's own rapturous discussions of life in the Southwest.
    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

I will put the book on my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation

I have got the border crossing operation down fairly well now. The vehicle permit for the motorcycle I get in advance on the internet. Mexico City then sends it to my house via DHL or Fedex. Generally I cross at dawn, first light. All the bad guys are still asleep. An hour or so later I am far enough south, having cleared the first army checkpoint, and am in fairly safe territory.

Lots of cool historical sites to see down there! And even some cool biosphere stuff like this blue pool bubbling out in the middle of the desert near the town of Cuatrocienegas.

Comment

Was it Juarez or Nuevo Laredo where the Mexican Federal Gov't replaced the local police force a year or two ago?

The border area has really deteriorated. My wife's cousins used to come visit almost every year. They don't like to fly, so they would take the Turimex bus from Torreón, COAH to Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo and then up I-35 to Dallas... Now they won't even go near the border.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
          Was it Juarez or Nuevo Laredo where the Mexican Federal Gov't replaced the local police force a year or two ago?

The border area has really deteriorated. My wife's cousins used to come visit almost every year. They don't like to fly, so they would take the Turimex bus from Torreón, COAH to Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo and then up I-35 to Dallas... Now they won't even go near the border.
          Actually I think both had a complete change. Also Tijuana.

The bus riding is still safe if you take a first class bus that rides the toll roads. The buses that ride the free roads have been getting robbed of late. Torreon had a prison break-in a year or so ago. The bad guys broke in to free their buddies. Some crazy stuff going on down there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X