Huge 8.8-magnitude quake hits Chile - USGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge 8.8-magnitude quake hits Chile - USGS

Is it the Year of Earthquakes or something?

SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) - A massive magnitude-8.8 earthquake struck near the coast of south-central Chile early on Saturday, shaking buildings and causing blackouts in parts of the capital Santiago, 200 miles away.

A tsunami warning was issued for Chile and Peru by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, and a tsunami watch was issued for Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica and Antarctica.
    FULL ARTICLE - REUTERS

Some of Australia's coastline is on potential tsunami warning now, if anything happens it's not expected to hit until after 8 am tomorrow morning. NSW, Queensland, Lord Howe Island and Norfolk Island are all on alert.

I hope the smaller pacific Islands get through this one untouched.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

I'm starting to believe that 2012 apocalypse thing. We're warming up nicely for it
      Fortunatly this earthquake seems to have caused less casualties than the Haiti one (initial reports at least).

Comment

1960 Chilean Tsunami

In 1960 a 9.5 quake off the coast of Chile caused a tsunami that devastated Hilo, Hawai'i. This was the most powerful earthquake ever measured in the 20th century.

This quake has caused a small tsunami... A ~2.5m wave has hit some Chilean coastal areas. The 1960 tsunami was 25m high when it struck the Chilean coast and then went on to devastate parts of Hawai'i.

Hopefully the tsunami will still be 1/10 the size of the 1960 one when it crosses the Pacific.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Castro View Post
          I'm starting to believe that 2012 apocalypse thing. We're warming up nicely for it
          Fortunatly this earthquake seems to have caused less casualties than the Haiti one (initial reports at least).
          The loss of life in Chile will be far less than Haiti. Chile is a civilized, modern nation. It is accustomed to earthquakes. Most of its buildings are built to modern standards.

That said, this is a very serious earthquake.

The word "Chile" might as well be Spanish for "subduction zone."

The Nazca and Antarctic plates are subducting beneath the South American plate...

Chile has experienced about a dozen major earthquakes over the last 50 years.

There is nothing apocalyptic about this event. The eastern part of Chile consists of a volcanic mountain range that has been growing since upper Cretaceous (~65 million years). The subduction of the Nazca and Antarctic plates "feeds" these volcanic mountain ranges and causes very powerful earthquakes.
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I believe you're right again, Doc. The Chileans will weather this quake much better than the Haitians. The fact that it is a modern, up-to-date, and prosperous country will go a long way in mitigating the possible side effects of such a disaster.
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

BBC article and video

Chile quake affects two million, says Bachelet

Two million people have been affected by the massive earthquake that struck central Chile on Saturday, President Michelle Bachelet has said.
              In a TV address, she said the forces of nature were testing the nation.
              So far at least 300 people have been confirmed killed in the earthquake that struck in the early hours of Saturday.
              more here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8541347.stm
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Chile Quake Toll Doubles to Over 700 Dead

Updates from CBS News

President Michelle Bachelet announced the sharply higher new death toll after a six-hour meeting with aides and emergency officials struggling to cope with Saturday's magnitude-8.8 quake. They had earlier said about 300 were known dead, with 500,000 homes severely damaged.
                http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6253093.shtml

Comment

I wonder if this will get NEARLY as much press as Haiti, in the US-I doubt it...I only heard about it because my mom told me because she happened to get the 1 in 109 chance of seeing that blurb on Yahoo!.

Although it is on Google front page-"8.8 magnitude earthquake rocks Chile..." or something like that
                  "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

No, this is much less of a disaster in many respects than Haiti. The Chilean capital was not destroyed so the leadership is fully in charge and executing their disaster plans. The smaller towns and cities that were hit have more modern earthquake resistant buildings. The military has been deployed to keep order, assist in rescue efforts, and deliver relief supplies.

The economic impact will be very severe locally but as a nation, Chile will continue to function and will manage its own recovery.

Comment

A lot of energy has been and continues to be released there. There have been numerous aftershocks as well as 7 magnitude 6 or higher (6.9 largest of them) quakes. I've seen this swarm after the 2004 mega-quake in Indonesia too. Actually, a month or so after that event there were 1 or 2 magnitude 8+ quakes that hit Indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                        No, this is much less of a disaster in many respects than Haiti. The Chilean capital was not destroyed so the leadership is fully in charge and executing their disaster plans. The smaller towns and cities that were hit have more modern earthquake resistant buildings. The military has been deployed to keep order, assist in rescue efforts, and deliver relief supplies.

The economic impact will be very severe locally but as a nation, Chile will continue to function and will manage its own recovery.
                        Yeah, I saw footage-although it was bigger in magnitude-Chile has more earthquake resistant buildings...so that's good
                        "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X