Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannabis legislation in Mexico

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9158186.html

Mexico seems to be set on making cannabis legal for personal use. Most likely this will become some sort of business. I doubt it has any effect on the drug war, weed just aint that big of a money bringer as the hard drugs.
    Wisdom is personal

Originally posted by Karri View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9158186.html

Mexico seems to be set on making cannabis legal for personal use. Most likely this will become some sort of business. I doubt it has any effect on the drug war, weed just aint that big of a money bringer as the hard drugs.
    Given that their entire nation is run by drug cartels, why wouldn't they?

As for the amount of money...it's huge. This is last year's cannabis sales for Colorado:
    Colorado surpasses $1 billion in marijuana tax revenue

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/1...ue-one-billion
    Marijuana tax, license and fee revenue has reached $1.02 billion, and marijuana sales over $6.5 billion, the Colorado Department of Revenue announced in a news release.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Yes legalizing all drugs will effect the cartels. Thats just common sense that conservatives dont want to hear. While its true the cartels have other methods of making money, its a disgrace that numerous so called drugs are not legal in the USA. Alcohol can kill, thats legal though. Crack, heroin, Coke, Meth, just legalize it all and that will have an effect on the cartels they will lose billions.

Not to mention the moral argument, in no free country should so called drugs be illegal. Lets see here we already have fire arms, well those can kill many people, there is no exuse for a civilized country to not make all drugs and alcohol legal.

Not to mention freedom. It should be ones right to ingest drugs or alcohol as they please.

If one wants meth, coke, crack, heroin...they should be able to get it legally AND it should go on their insurance policy. The USA and European countries should legalize all drugs but think about charging higher health insurance rates to the drug users.
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

I get and respect the older Americans whom think that banning things like prostitution and illegal drugs is the way forward. But the issue is that thugs and criminals make billions of dollars off of illegal prostitution and drugs, so just legalize it all and that will cost the cartels billions, thats the only way to beat the ruthless violent drug dealers. Here in Buffalo a Buffalo Cop was caught pimping out his wife as a prostitute, so even in the USA we have dirty cops that take advantage of our flawed legal system while the majority of Police officers are great people.

This is not the 1950s anymore, the USA is not as good as it used to be, the world is not what it used to be so we need change. In the 1950s folks did not snort meth but they do now and do so dangerously and illegally. Innocent people are dying on a daily basis because in the USA we have morality laws that are not even moral. Morality laws that ban prostitution and narcotics where as in a society where such things were legal there would guaranteed be less crime. It is a basic human right for a man or woman to sell themselves sexually, it is absurd that any government would prevent such a basic right, the oldest profession in the world as they say.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Given that their entire nation is run by drug cartels, why wouldn't they?
          Been binging narcos on Netflix, have you?

As for the amount of money...it's huge. This is last year's cannabis sales for Colorado:
          A gram of weed in Colorado is probably north of 15 usd/g. in Mexico that's probably enough for an ounce. But this isn't an import-export business, and won't be for years. And besides, since you can just grow at home it's a bit hard to say how the markets would work. But you do see why this is a lot of money if you can somehow, illegally, fulfill the demand. I suspect the cartels have moved to more profitable stuff for their main income ages ago (especially since this has been in the cards for quite a bit now).

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
          SNIP
          In the 1950s folks did not snort meth
          SNIP
          Pervitin? Obetrol? Meth was first synthesized in 1887. Morality laws existed in a world where everything wasn't under scrutiny, no cameras everywhere to cpature your follies, tightly-knit communities that shushed everything, an ideological world where you had to toe the line, and no internet to spread anything beyond the local newspaper column. They can't exist anymore because, as we found out, everyone does **** behind closed doors that they shouldn't be doing.

To return to Pervitin. Over in Europe it was dished out in such quantities that there were masses of men hooked to it. Add in war traumas and you can be certain that the addiction either continued, or in most cases changed to good old alcoholism (which was the only way to deal with any of trauma that the entire world went through). That alcoholism seems to have transferred from generation to the next in many countries.
          Last edited by Karri; 30 Oct 19, 00:32.
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

. . . . I suspect the cartels have moved to more profitable stuff for their main income ages ago (especially since this has been in the cards for quite a bit now).
            The cartels have branched into all manner of business over the last twenty or thirty years. Not only are they moving all manner of contraband (opioids, cocaine, synthetics like meth and ecstasy, stolen goods, firearms, prostitutes, etc, etc) but they've moved into a number of legitimate enterprises, as well. They play "silent partner" for various restaurants, light manufacturers, and so forth. In Russia the gangs moved into banking, so I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the Mexican gangs haven't followed suit.

Pervitin? Obetrol? Meth was first synthesized in 1887. Morality laws existed in a world where everything wasn't under scrutiny, no cameras everywhere to cpature your follies, tightly-knit communities that shushed everything, an ideological world where you had to toe the line, and no internet to spread anything beyond the local newspaper column. They can't exist anymore because, as we found out, everyone does **** behind closed doors that they shouldn't be doing.

To return to Pervitin. Over in Europe it was dished out in such quantities that there were masses of men hooked to it. Add in war traumas and you can be certain that the addiction either continued, or in most cases changed to good old alcoholism (which was the only way to deal with any of trauma that the entire world went through). That alcoholism seems to have transferred from generation to the next in many countries.
            - emphasis mine

That whole segment is very historically accurate. I just wanted to expound some on that highlighted bit. It is in our nature -- as Homo sapiens -- to be corrupt, and to corrupt. Many a black man was outraged by The Color Purple's depiction of sexual abuse and incest among African-Americans. They needn't have felt so put upon, though: that kind of thing has been happening since the dawn of time, and is as widespread as the common cold. We should be ashamed of the acts we commit behind closed doors. Too bad we're not ashamed enough to cease doing them.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Yes legalizing all drugs will effect the cartels. Thats just common sense that conservatives dont want to hear. While its true the cartels have other methods of making money, its a disgrace that numerous so called drugs are not legal in the USA. Alcohol can kill, thats legal though. Crack, heroin, Coke, Meth, just legalize it all and that will have an effect on the cartels they will lose billions.

Not to mention the moral argument, in no free country should so called drugs be illegal. Lets see here we already have fire arms, well those can kill many people, there is no exuse for a civilized country to not make all drugs and alcohol legal.

Not to mention freedom. It should be ones right to ingest drugs or alcohol as they please.

If one wants meth, coke, crack, heroin...they should be able to get it legally AND it should go on their insurance policy. The USA and European countries should legalize all drugs but think about charging higher health insurance rates to the drug users.
              Why do you blame the conservatives? They are not the ones pushing the agenda to legalize drugs. They are, in fact the ones opposing this idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                That whole segment is very historically accurate. I just wanted to expound some on that highlighted bit. It is in our nature -- as Homo sapiens -- to be corrupt, and to corrupt.
                So religion, civilization and law itself are nothing more than a feeble attempt to deny the very basis of human nature? That wold make Satan the new god. Interesting. I think you might be onto something.

Comment

Why do you blame the conservatives? They are not the ones pushing the agenda to legalize drugs. They are, in fact the ones opposing this idiocy.
                  It’s some conservatives. It’s because some conservatives are against freedom and they think they could tell people what to do with their lives that is not right

George S Patton

Comment

So religion, civilization and law itself are nothing more than a feeble attempt to deny the very basis of human nature? That wold make Satan the new god. Interesting. I think you might be onto something.
                    I suspect that the Satan and the God to which you refer are entities that live not outside of us, but within us. You, who worked in the penal system for no insignificant span, how many truly wicked men did you meet -- who were themselves victims of unspeakable wickedness, all too often in their childhoods? How many times did you hear a tale like this one:

According to [Charles] Manson’s family, Kathleen [Maddox, Charlie's mother] traded Charles for a pitcher of beer shortly after he was born.

When he was still an infant, Kathleen took her son to a restaurant and had him resting on her lap when she sparked up a conversation with the waitress. The waitress was eager to become a mother herself, and thinking that baby Manson was cute, she joked that she’d buy him from Kathleen.

“A pitcher of beer and he’s yours,” was Kathleen’s reply. The waitress probably thought she was joking, but she brought Kathleen an extra pitcher anyway. What she didn’t expect was that as soon as Kathleen finished her beer, she sneaked out of the restaurant—and left Charles behind.

Manson only made his way back home because his uncle found out what had happened. He tracked down the waitress a few days later and got the boy back to his mother.

"3 Tragic Stories from the childhood of Charles Manson," by Taso, The Weekly Observer, 17 Nov 2017
                    Homo sapiens has a remarkable capacity for manufacturing its own nightmares, quite distinct from any other species I can conjure. Surely you can attest to this phenomenon.

Comment

Been binging narcos on Netflix, have you?

A gram of weed in Colorado is probably north of 15 usd/g. in Mexico that's probably enough for an ounce. But this isn't an import-export business, and won't be for years. And besides, since you can just grow at home it's a bit hard to say how the markets would work. But you do see why this is a lot of money if you can somehow, illegally, fulfill the demand. I suspect the cartels have moved to more profitable stuff for their main income ages ago (especially since this has been in the cards for quite a bit now).

That’s interesting I’ll have to read more into that right now I’m a little bit busy. Here’s the thing you go back to the 1920s and 1930s what did Babe Ruth have hotdogs and beer. It just seems that back in the day people were not snorting or shooting up certainly not as much as they are today. They were alcoholics back in the day but I just don’t see as many drug attic’s of the past compared to now

George S Patton

Comment

That’s interesting I’ll have to read more into that right now I’m a little bit busy. Here’s the thing you go back to the 1920s and 1930s what did Babe Ruth have hotdogs and beer. It just seems that back in the day people were not snorting or shooting up certainly not as much as they are today. They were alcoholics back in the day but I just don’t see as many drug attic’s of the past compared to now
                        I take it that you've never heard of "patent medicines."

Comment

Crazy apes like to self medicate.
                          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I take it that you've never heard of "patent medicines."

I have heard of those. But that cant compare to the 1980s crack usage in large cities across the USA can it? I argue that drug addiction and alcohol dependency are different today then in the past, I feel its more lethal today and could be safer if drug prohibit on ended.

George S Patton

Comment

I have heard of those. But that cant compare to the 1980s crack usage in large cities across the USA can it? I argue that drug addiction and alcohol dependency are different today then in the past, I feel its more lethal today and could be safer if drug prohibit on ended.

Well, 'round 1900, the US drug scene got so bad that Congress passed its first laws regulating cocaine and opioids, and in 1914 the precursor to today's Drug Enforcement Administration, the Federal Narcotics Control Board was established.

Soon, however, this situation changed dramatically. Around the time of World War I, extensive drug use in the United States—a combination of morphine, heroin, opium, and cocaine—created a growing fear of drug abuse. The association of opium with Chinese immigrants, cocaine with African Americans, and morphine addiction with careless physicians prompted more and more restrictive legislation and an antagonism to easy access to those drugs. A six-year federal effort to control the distribution of opiates and cocaine led to the Harrison Anti-Narcotics Act of 1914.

"Pathways of Addiction: Opportunities in Drug Abuse Research," US Institute of Medicine, National Academies Press, 1996
                              Historically, the end of a war usually sees a severe spike in substance abuse: alcohol, opioids, and others, as returning servicemen self-medicate, either as a way to alleviate the psychic pain of war, or to treat the physical pain of injuries suffered in combat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X