South American Hamilton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South American Hamilton

James not Alexander and Chile not the USA. A sordid tale of abuse and denial but one that also shows that with enough persistence change for the better is possible.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...atholic-church
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

I can't understand how being sacked from your job or suspended from your club can be seen by anyone as a satisfactory punishment for the rape and sexual abuse of children. If a Youth Club leader raped a child in his care would everyone be happy if he was sacked by the Youth Club?
    The only appropriate way to deal with those accused of child sexual abuse is a criminal trial and, if they are convicted, their imprisonment for decades or life. The same applies to those who facilitated that abuse through their actions or inaction.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
      I can't understand how being sacked from your job or suspended from your club can be seen by anyone as a satisfactory punishment for the rape and sexual abuse of children. If a Youth Club leader raped a child in his care would everyone be happy if he was sacked by the Youth Club?
      The only appropriate way to deal with those accused of child sexual abuse is a criminal trial and, if they are convicted, their imprisonment for decades or life. The same applies to those who facilitated that abuse through their actions or inaction.
      There is already an offence available in British law for the latter and I suspect that it also exists in many jurisdictions where the law has origins in British law. That is Conspiracy to Pervert the Course of Justice which can result in a heavy sentence especially if the offender is in a position of trust such as a bent copper or a corrupt judge. Surely the clergy should be treated as being in the same category.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

The Clergy should be treated the same as any other private citizen. Membership of a Church should have no more bearing than membership of a Golf Club when it comes to how one is treated under the law.
        Being expelled from a Church for child rape should carry no more weight than being expelled from a Golf Club for child rape.
        "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

The Clergy should be treated the same as any other private citizen. Membership of a Church should have no more bearing than membership of a Golf Club when it comes to how one is treated under the law.
          Being expelled from a Church for child rape should carry no more weight than being expelled from a Golf Club for child rape.
          I think you miss my point. This is that like the police and the judiciary the church should be held to higher standards of accountability than the ordinary citizen and the penalty for breaking the trust placed in them should be likewise higher (longer sentences) and the charge of Perversion of the course of justice should be breought against those in authority who allow it to happen. The law allows this but I fear is not being used in this manner

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

I think you miss my point. This is that like the police and the judiciary the church should be held to higher standards of accountability than the ordinary citizen and the penalty for breaking the trust placed in them should be likewise higher (longer sentences) and the charge of Perversion of the course of justice should be breought against those in authority who allow it to happen. The law allows this but I fear is not being used in this manner
            I geet your point, although my reply was rather tangential. My view is that the police and Judiciary have legal powers which the ordinary citizen does not. Clergy only have, or should only have, powers within their Church. Their rank and status within their chosen Church should neither mitigate or exacerbate the penalties which apply to them for crimes their commit.

Comment

I geet your point, although my reply was rather tangential. My view is that the police and Judiciary have legal powers which the ordinary citizen does not. Clergy only have, or should only have, powers within their Church. Their rank and status within their chosen Church should neither mitigate or exacerbate the penalties which apply to them for crimes their commit.
              The clergy of the major faiths and denominations do have privileges above and beyond the ordinary. They have ready access to places where the vulnerable may be found such as hospitals, care homes, youth offender institutions and educational establishments. Some will even be official chaplains. In some places they will be made more welcome than the police. They are likely to be found on local boards, commissions etc. (or if not, consulted by the same). In many cases their presence is benign and they are socially useful (or at worst neutral) but sometimes the trust bestowed on them is terribly abused and this should be taken into account when applying penalties.

Comment

Fair points Mark.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X