Maduro takes it up a notch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maduro takes it up a notch.

Venezuelan troops on the Colombian border opened fire on a group of non-profit volunteers trying to bring supplies into Venezuela. Two dead, 24 wounded. Lots more injured when the troops used teargas on the bridge and created a stampede to flee. Maduro is breaking diplomatic relations with Colombia.
    The Brazilian government says there has been gunfire along their border too. This after an earlier clash that left 2 dead, 11 wounded.
    At least four Venezuelan soldiers defected into Colombia as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

The Beebs take. (they tend to cover international news better than the US media...)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-47346253
    Last edited by Bwaha; 23 Feb 19, 17:16.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

The body count of the starving is going to get much higher as Maduro struggles to remain in power.

Comment

Seems Venezuela is on it's way to building their equivalent of the Iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Venezuelan troops on the Colombian border opened fire on a group of non-profit volunteers trying to bring supplies into Venezuela. Two dead, 24 wounded. Lots more injured when the troops used teargas on the bridge and created a stampede to flee. Maduro is breaking diplomatic relations with Colombia.
          The Brazilian government says there has been gunfire along their border too. This after an earlier clash that left 2 dead, 11 wounded.
          At least four Venezuelan soldiers defected into Colombia as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp
          https://www.facebook.com/VivaTulsi/p...type=3&theater
          https://www.facebook.com/VivaTulsi/p...type=3&theater

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            The Beebs take. (they tend to cover international news better than the US media...)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-47346253
            https://grayzoneproject.com/2019/02/...IK44Sfbxm62eX4

Comment

So exactly what does the sweeping generalization fallacy show? That Progressive Leftist Tulsi Gabbard can't make a logical argument to save her life? Her whole Facebook page is chock-a-block with logical fallacies, vague generalities, and basically only shows that she's a typical Progressive Leftist with a shallow intellect who chooses emotion and personal preferences over anything resembling deep thought and true reflection on an issue. But, then again, that does describe about 98% of politicians worldwide regardless of their political leanings...

Comment

So exactly what does the sweeping generalization fallacy show? That Progressive Leftist Tulsi Gabbard can't make a logical argument to save her life? Her whole Facebook page is chock-a-block with logical fallacies, vague generalities, and basically only shows that she's a typical Progressive Leftist with a shallow intellect who chooses emotion and personal preferences over anything resembling deep thought and true reflection on an issue. But, then again, that does describe about 98% of politicians worldwide regardless of their political leanings...
                Perhaps you have a good chance running against her, with your argument

https://www.mintpressnews.com/former...LVCC52Yha7CEdM

Comment

Is this how you neo-con/lib's want to proceed: https://activatenow.us/marco-rubio-m...wL6-Su67BYyewc

Comment

Originally posted by Konzev View Post

Perhaps you have a good chance running against her, with your argument

https://www.mintpressnews.com/former...LVCC52Yha7CEdM
                    This is probably Arizona's equivalent to Ms. Gabbard:

I've been to two "Meet and greets," and a "Townhall," where she was a guest speaker / panelist. I've also sent her several lengthy e-mails. Here's the last one, a rebuttal to a column she had in the local paper:

I read your column in Saturday’s Republic. I have to disagree completely with you. What follows is polite. No ranting, I promise. Oh, I listened to you present your ideas during the election in person too, so I’m familiar with your proposals.

The biggest fallacy you made is your starting assumption: That government is somehow responsible for everyone’'s health care / insurance. If you remove that assumption, the rest of your column disintegrates.

Obamacare (I prefer to put the onus for the ACA entirely on Democrats and Obama, thus that moniker), is based on the same premise. It uses statist capitalism as its functioning basis.

Worse, Obamacare has been an abysmal failure. The biggest portion of the drop in uninsured under Obamacare were people who were eligible for expanded Medicaid or were on policies that were heavily subsidized.

Because of Obamacare'’s skewing of the market and good actuarial process, what you call “insurance abuses,” most of the larger health insurance providers bailed out of the program while those that remained increased the cost of their policies by triple digits. The marketplace for Obamacare has all but collapsed as a result.

Here in Arizona, there was just one provider statewide on the Obamacare market two years ago, and Pinal County had none for a short period. Today, there are several providers, but they are all second-tier ones except Cigna, and Blue Cross in some counties. That'’s much like saying you have auto insurance with The General or Titan.

What the US needs is a different system of paying for health care, not more tinkering with the same failed system by Congress, as you suggest.

The solution I suggest follows. Please read it. I spent a lot of time thinking it up, more than Congress has, that’s for sure. It involves getting government out of the way, making people responsible for their own health care costs, and gives crumbs to big insurers and the government to make them feel better they’re being kicked to the curb.

First, we make all health care expenses 100% tax deductible. Your personal health care costs are high? You can deduct all of them from your taxes. Why should the government be taxing people for trying to stay healthy?

Next, we expand the Individual Health Savings account program immensely. Money put into these accounts is pre-tax now. Second, the limit is taken off. You can stuff as much into one of these as you want.

If you take the cash out for health expenses, it’s tax free. If you take it out for something else (ie., you don’t direct pay a health provider by debit card or check) then you get it taxed as income.

For those who are low income and get things like EIC (Earned Income Credit) this money doesn’t go to the taxpayer directly but is instead deposited in their health care payment account to cover their costs up to a maximum amount of say $5,000. Once they hit that number, they get the EIC as a tax return just like now.

That means virtually everybody has a health care savings account. Better, we could make these earn some interest too. That’s for discussion.

We also make these accounts available to businesses. But, we do it a bit differently with these. Like the personal ones, each employee gets an account up to a limit of say $5,000 to $10,000. The exact amount isn’t critical here for discussion. The employer simply reimburses the employee for health costs as they occur and the employee reports them.

This system is easily implemented. Most employers already have companies managing employee pay, like ADP, due to the complexity of government regulations.

Now comes the sweet part for employees and employers. At the end of each year, the employer and employee are allowed to split the remaining funds in each account 50 – 50.

That means if the employer account is $5,000 per year and the employee doesn’t use the account, they get a $2,500 bonus at the end of the year. The employer, likewise, gets a similar “bonus” to use towards reducing their costs next year on employee health care costs.

Now, to cover massive, costly health problems… That’s where insurers and the government come in. What we do is abolish Medicare / Medicaid and replace it with a national catastrophic health insurance program with a $5,000 to $10,000 deductible. This might be higher or lower. Again, that’s for debate. But everybody has this coverage.

That means hospitals will only be out the deductible for anybody they treat. That’s collectable if the individual doesn’t pay up front or make payments. They can live with that. It also means almost anyone will be able to cover most or all of the deductible from their own pocket via their health spending account.

Thus, individuals can have their own spending account to pay for health care, employers and employees have a similar account they use together, and everybody gets covered for major medical disasters in their lives.

The government stops taxing people for paying for their health care, and insurers are running the catastrophic plans.

If someone wants more health insurance coverage, they’re free to pay for that too. You, the individual, get to pay for what you think you need in health care rather than have the government decide for you.

Well, that’s my plan. I think it’s a damn sight better than any semi-socialized medicine, one-size-fits-all government mandated Obamacare plan is any day of the week.
                    I can pretty much tell you that she stammered her way through responses to me as I pretty much demolished her arguments and demonstrated a much deeper understanding of the issues she was talking about than she, herself, had. I'd say at this point, that she likely doesn't like me much.

I have little doubt I could do the same to Gabbard. Just because you run for office doesn't make you smart or knowledgeable. It makes you a politician, nothing more. I'm not about to move to Hawaii to run against her either. That's an expensive state to live in, and there's not much to do there after the first couple of weeks.

Comment

This is probably Arizona's equivalent to Ms. Gabbard:
                      No, she's not, because she accept's the deal Obama made with big pharma, and the health care bureaucracy. that means she has no problems with being lobbied.

The solution I suggest follows. Please read it. I spent a lot of time thinking it up, more than Congress has, that’s for sure. It involves getting government out of the way, making people responsible for their own health care costs, and gives crumbs to big insurers and the government to make them feel better they’re being kicked to the curb.
                      The idea, that the market corrects all aspects of our lives, without regulations, clearly does not work. Just look at the financial anarchy that is corrupting our planet.

First, we make all health care expenses 100% tax deductible. Your personal health care costs are high? You can deduct all of them from your taxes. Why should the government be taxing people for trying to stay healthy?
                      This idea, has one big flaw, because you need a public that is educated enough to do the required math to understand your concept. Your education sytem is not doing it's job, even to teach basic math. I know, because i had to train a lot of young people for organization and cashier jobs for my shop.

You do have some good ideas of how to finance a working health care system, the flaw is, the current system health care provider has a huge overhead in the bureaucracy department. You have way to many people involved in managing your financial system than doing the actual service for patients.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X