Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexico elections

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mexico elections

    Mexico is part of North America.

    Anyways, Obrador won, apparently on the platform to end corruption and poverty. I got the feeling that people wanted a change.
    Citizens, frustrated by corruption and violence, reject Mexico’s established parties.
    Wisdom is personal

  • #2
    The new guy doesn't sound like someone who is prepared to stump up the cash for a wall!
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Karri View Post
      I got the feeling that people wanted a change.
      Change is a two-edge sword. I hope they do not go the way of Venezuela.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

        Change is a two-edge sword. I hope they do not go the way of Venezuela.
        With the Guy they elected they just may go in that direction.
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

          With the Guy they elected they just may go in that direction.
          Agree, I think so too, but cannot understand the hemisphere socialists failures do not seem to deter them.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

          Comment


          • #6
            Does the Mexican election matter? I thought the cartels ruled the country.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Surrey View Post
              Does the Mexican election matter? I thought the cartels ruled the country.
              The new President will need a strong police and military backing to push his agenda. It will be interesting to watch.
              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

              Comment


              • #8
                This could all have been avoided if we had stayed back in '48. 1848.
                The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                  Does the Mexican election matter? I thought the cartels ruled the country.
                  The cartels do what they want with fair impunity, but they are only interested in their own affairs, so they do not rule. However given the widespread corruption, and a cultural bias towards what a Western viewer would considered bribery and featherbedding, there is a viable question as how much effect a President can have on the day to day.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

                    Change is a two-edge sword. I hope they do not go the way of Venezuela.
                    The country seems to have reached the plateau where a change, even with the risk of total failure, is preferable to all the other options. This might end up a total failure, a catalyst similar to what USA is going through now, or just the same old nothing happening.

                    My wife voted for the guy and was exalted when he won. My display of scepticism(so, how is he gonna end poverty?) went unanswered.
                    Wisdom is personal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Karri View Post

                      The country seems to have reached the plateau where a change, even with the risk of total failure, is preferable to all the other options.
                      That's more or less what a lot of people thought in Russia in 1917 and Germany in the early 30s
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                        That's more or less what a lot of people thought in Russia in 1917 and Germany in the early 30s
                        A system that does not serve you is a system that needs to be changed, thinks every person everywhere. Reading history I have managed to scrape together a theory that this is how things have always worked. System either serves most people and is slowly corrupted, or is corrupted from the start to begin with(gaining power by claiming to serve most people).
                        Wisdom is personal

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Karri View Post

                          A system that does not serve you is a system that needs to be changed, thinks every person everywhere. Reading history I have managed to scrape together a theory that this is how things have always worked. System either serves most people and is slowly corrupted, or is corrupted from the start to begin with(gaining power by claiming to serve most people).
                          Which was essentially the Anarchists' view point
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Mexico got a Leftist Socialist as president. Maybe he'll do to Mexico what Chavez and Maduro did to Venezuela...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Mexico in the past has had governments far to the left of this chap
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X