Panama Canal, the Reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    The first shipment of US shale gas is on the way to Asia via the Canal...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...for-first-time

Yeah, but without the spread to justify it, the numbers will be retarded by economic reality.

Also, I need to ask a friend of mine in the shipping industry about the depth of the canal, because I remember something a while back about the depth still being impassible for certain fully laden vessels despite the width adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      Yeah, but without the spread to justify it, the numbers will be retarded by economic reality.

Also, I need to ask a friend of mine in the shipping industry about the depth of the canal, because I remember something a while back about the depth still being impassible for certain fully laden vessels despite the width adjustment.
      The spread does suck... but, market expansion is a good thing.

LNG tankers require width more than depth. LNG is generally less than half as dense as water.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
        The spread does suck... but, market expansion is a good thing.

LNG tankers require width more than depth. LNG is generally less than half as dense as water.
        True. What I think I read was something along the lines of the expansion making the canal wide enough for many dirty/clean product Suezmax vessels... but not deep enough.

In other words, the expansion would enable a number Suezmax ships to use the Panama Canal, but only when partially-filled. Will look into that, because it was weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
        X