Top Cuban general, key forces in Syria to aid Assad, Russia, sources say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
    Frisco17 - For most in the US Army, Special Forces are troops who have chosen that branch after previous service elsewhere in the Armed Forces. To take the example of Roger Donlon, who received the first Medal of Honor awarded for Vietnam, he first enlisted in the Air Force. I went from enlisted Special Forces to the Armor Officer Candidate course, then to light infantry, and then to an Armored Division where I commanded two companies in addition to being an Armor battalion and brigade logistics officer. Colonel Francis J. Kelly, one of the 5th SFG's commanders in Vietnam, was also Armor.
    I'm aware of the fact that individual soldiers that may have spent time as Rangers, PJs, etc can re-class into other positions but that's not really what I'm talking about. For example even if you completed Ranger school, served in a Ranger unit and then re-classed into let's say an armored unit for some reason. If your unit gets deployed you are not special forces, you're an armored line unit. The implication in the OP was that the Cubans were deploying an SF unit to Syria in order to crew tanks. That just doesn't make any sense to me. The logical approach would be to send ordinary tank crews who, even though they probably have less overall training than a special forces unit, that training is much more valuable in this case because it actually involves operating tanks as opposed to the sort of things special forces usually do. It's like saying we need to send pilots to Iraq to operate their new F-16s so instead of sending USAF pilots we'll send the SEALs.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Given the sad state of the Cuban military in its previous deployments, this ought to be another layer of humor on the situation.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
        I don't see any reason to rank Cuba's fighting spirit over ISIL's. If it were the Cubans on their own, I think ISIL would stand a good chance. But if your reporting is correct, and I don't believe it is, the Cubans would not be taking ISIL on on their own. They would have Russian and Syrian support, most likely close air support, and Russian Intel and Communications assistance. In other words, they would be fighting as part of a unified combined arms force. But again, given Syria's numbers, why would Cubans have to be there at all?

I find that many of the folks in ISIL could as you talk about, have a good fighting spirit. I think you would argree that at the same time, many in ISIL are simply in ISIL to harm women and or to gain money. I do not know much about the Cuban armed forces, but I do understand that Cuba has an organized military, including an air force. I do not believe ISIL has an air force, so one edge that I find in Cuba is that Cuba has an air force. Also Its Fox News reporting this story, not my reporting.

I understand your concerns about the legitimacy of the report, I myself was a bit unsure of the fox news report. Though I will add there has been an interesting development,we now have the Daily posting about this story,

Cuba Is Intervening in Syria to Help Russia. Itís Not the First Time Havanaís Assisted Moscow.

Reports that Cuban forces are now fighting in Syria follow a long history of the Castro brothers working closely with their patrons in Moscow.

Not for the first time Cuban forces are doing Russiaís dirty work, this time in Syria. On Wednesday it was reported that a U.S. official had confirmed to Fox News that Cuban paramilitary and Special Forces units were on the ground in Syria. Reportedly transported to the region in Russian planes, the Cubans are rumoured to be experts at operating Russian tanks.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ed-moscow.html

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Given the sad state of the Cuban military in its previous deployments, this ought to be another layer of humor on the situation.
          I for one look forward to seeing what they can do with technicals made out of 1958 Chevy Impalas.
          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X