Eduardo Galeano, author and eminent soccer fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eduardo Galeano, author and eminent soccer fan

Eduardo Galeano, the author of "The Open Veins of Latin America" and many other books, has died is his native Montevideo, Uruguay. Galeano's denunciation of capitalism and imperialism was well known in Latin America, and came to the attention of the press when President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela presented a copy to President Obama. The book was roundly criticized by the three Latin authors of "Manual of the Perfect Latin-American Idiot" (Plinio Apuleyo Mendoza, Carlos Alberto Montaner, and Alvaro Vargas Llosa), but to be fair to Galeano, he himself criticized it in later years as being too heavy on leftist rhetoric and too light on real economics, stating that he had been much younger then. Either way, a recognized giant in Latin-American letters from a small Latin country with a vibrant cultural life, welcoming people, and great beaches.
    dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Read this

years ago, and enjoyed it thoroughly. While I opposed virtually all of his politics, I always found Galeano's self-deprecating candor refreshing and vitally human. Suffice to say, he will be missed.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Galeano had that knack for finding beauty in imperfection. Indeed, the imperfection was all the more beautiful because of its flaws.

To describe this as a perfect book would be inaccurate, but it would also be irrelevant. It is a mess. It is deliberately a mess, a cavalcade of diversions and tangents and idle thoughts and musings and eulogies and excoriations and laments. Not all are memorable, perhaps not all are necessary, but it all amounts up to something unique, righteous and quite beautiful: history by turn as jumbled memory, as fractured story, as furious broadside, as hazy dream, and occasionally even as joke.

"Looking back at Eduardo Galeano's masterpiece, 'Soccer in Sun and Shadow,'" by Andi Thomas, SB Nation, 13 Apr 2015
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X