Obama Will Probably Remove Cuba Embargo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Will Probably Remove Cuba Embargo

News breaking at the major networks that the 2 countries are about to re-establish normal diplomatic relations. Biggest change in policy in 50 years.

I would love to travel to Cuba!! Drink the rum, smoke cigars that el Comandante used to smoke!

After Alan Gross release, Obama seeks to resume full diplomatic ties with Cuba

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Obama can unilaterally remove a whole range of restrictions on interactions with Cuba, but he can't lift the embargo in its entirity. Only Congress can do that.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Wow, that would be big.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
        Obama can unilaterally remove a whole range of restrictions on interactions with Cuba, but he can't lift the embargo in its entirity. Only Congress can do that.
        If both nations show the desire to end the embargo, that will become just a technicality.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
          If both nations show the desire to end the embargo, that will become just a technicality.
          Not with politicians like Marco Rubio and other Republicans with a similar attitude in charge of Congress.

Philip
          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

I have said it before and I will say it again, I have no qualms about ending the embargo but there must be two concessions from Cuba:

1) All terrorists and fugitives hiding from American justice must be turned over, even those who face the death penalty.
            2) Cuba must recognize US sovereignty over all lands under US sovereignty. This means Cuba must recognize Puerto Rico as an integral part of the United States federal realm. Our internal matters are internal matters.

Comment

I see utterly no point to the embargo. If you want to end that regime flood the place with US tourist dollars...

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                I see utterly no point to the embargo. If you want to end that regime flood the place with US tourist dollars...
                Hi Cope

Agreed

The embargo was out of date some 2 decades ago.
                Only dogma & mantra have kept it going

Regards

Andy H
                "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                  And cheap US imports, the embargo actually means it probably will never change.
                  you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

A massive policy shift and a welcome one - and as others have said the embargo should have been ended a long time ago.
                    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                    G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                    Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                      A massive policy shift and a welcome one - and as others have said the embargo should have been ended a long time ago.
                      A very long time ago. Home of the brave, land of the free and we are so free that our government doesn't allow us to travel where ever we like.

Here US Mil personal can buy Cuban cigars etc but are warned not to take them back to the US because of the embargo. That is really a joke.

OH, those cigars are really nothing special. You can find better from other island nations.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                        Some will ask whats Cuba's policy on gay marriage ?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/07/03/...adise-its-not/

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
                          Some will ask whats Cuba's policy on gay marriage ?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/07/03/...adise-its-not/
                          Of course you would not dream of asking or criticising because you repeatedly say that you will not criticise any other country's policies or laws (barring Israel). Also as a Catholic your official organisation disagrees with it.

There should be no discrimination against gays in any way.
                          "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                          G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                          Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            OH, those cigars are really nothing special. You can find better from other island nations.
                            I'm heart broken. I'm not really a smoker but was going to make a special thing of smoking a Cuban cigar.

Which is their best brand anyway?
                            Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
                              I'm heart broken. I'm not really a smoker but was going to make a special thing of smoking a Cuban cigar.

Which is their best brand anyway?
                              I've only tried two. The price was pretty steep at between 15 and 20 dollars. You can get good Dominican for less than half the price and imo they are better.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X