Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authors see chance for breakthrough in U.S.-Cuba relations

By Daniel Trotta

HAVANA (Reuters) - The authors of a new book detailing 55 years of informal communications between the United States and Cuba see a rare opportunity to normalize relations, provided President Barack Obama wants to seize the moment.
    http://news.yahoo.com/authors-see-ch...164521650.html
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Normalization is long overdue. Just another example of old politics surviving in the U.S. long after our interests have moved on.
    dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

I thought I read something recently that Putin was reinvesting military in Cuba. I cannot recall if it was beyond SIGINT at Lourdes.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Given the scale of the problems Russia faces in its backyard, I doubt they can afford the amount of investment in Cuba the Havana really needs.

As long as Florida remains in play, neither party (US) will take the political risk of normalizing relations with Cuba.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

As long as Florida remains in play, neither party (US) will take the political risk of normalizing relations with Cuba.
          They voted for Obama in the last election, and the latest gubernatorial race puts a former Republican, then Independent, now Democrat up against a first term republican incumbent. If the young Cuban-Americans get out the vote, the next presidential election may also go to a democrat in Florida. And the states Hispanics now count large numbers of non-Cubans.

The old saw no longer applies to Florida outside of SW Eighth Street (Calle Ocho), and I'm not so sure it applies there any more.
          dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
            Given the scale of the problems Russia faces in its backyard, I doubt they can afford the amount of investment in Cuba the Havana really needs.

One 'Huge' advantage of normalization is that it drastically reduces the cost of An American overseas Base.there have been Canadian studies on the Cost /benefit of the US base at Argentia, which closed in 1994, and they were all positive.

Git-mo is an extremely expensive base to maintain, as it can't tap into local goods and services.
            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X