Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentine government to undermine Falklands Referendum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...eferendum.html

In recent days, the country’s foreign ministry has launched an action plan to thwart the success of a March referendum to be held by the islanders, Argentine and regional media reported.

The 3000-strong population of the Falklands are overwhelmingly pro-British and the vote is expected to deliver a resounding rejection of Argentine efforts to claim the South Atlantic archipelago.

Foreign Minister Héctor Timerman summoned Argentina’s ambassador in London, Alicia Castro, to Buenos Aires to devise an “anti-referendum” campaign in Britain, according to daily La Nación.

The aim is to dissuade British political personalities from attending the vote as observers, therefore detracting from its legitimacy.

Argentine embassies around the world have meanwhile received instructions to alert political leaders in their host countries to the “illegitimacy” of the vote. The government has reportedly been working hard to implement the plan for the last two weeks, amid growing concern that the referendum could shore up international support for Britain’s sovereignty over the islands.

Any thoughts, gents?

• marktwain
    replied
    the pontiff is no doubt relieved

Originally posted by Selous View Post
    If he DID take a stance on the matter as Pope, It's not like it would be the first time perfidious Albion was caught outside the wishes of the Vatican and found enmity the Catholic world. Weather the storm, should it come, you can't do much more than that.
    That the counter invasion took place.
    An extremely repugnant dictatorship in Argentina came to an early end.
    Just another thing to thank the B-Empire for, but it may have to wait for his retirement...

Marvelous real life training for the British forces- unfortuanetly at a cost...

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Overloaded its server from what I can gather....

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Have they done anything particularly humorous, like put Queen Botox in, with it or just denied its use?

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Shouldn't have put the game online. UK hackers have hit it. I didn't laugh. Pwomise!!

Leave a comment:

• DARKPLACE
    replied
    Level two is where you have to see who surrenders fastest presumably?

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Oh I'm serious - If the Argentinian decision maker's policy is to behave like achild, you talk down to those officials. Though it may be undiplomatic I'm not sure how else you deal with it. When your child starts screaming in the supermarket you don't rant back at them, you calmly put them in the trolly seat and ignore their outbursts. In contrast, they're the enemy (and a second world banana Republic) we have to treat them as such. A verbally aggressive enemy would play into Kirchner's hand, but be unflappable with a slight bit of condescension and it undermines the rhetoric.

Originally posted by History Fan
    Still never played being a Fascist Invader should be good fun
    You get to try and sneak into the RM barracks and kill them in their sleep; earning you 500 Gamer points and the in-game medal of valour.
    The next map is rounding up civilian dissenters.

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Agreed A bit more iron , a bit more tapping on the table and saying condescendingly 'now you listen to me' and unsympathetic dismissals when dealing with this level of foe, would not go amiss.
    Well if they think we're condescending Brits, there's nowt we can say to change their mind so play the role they'd have us play...

Leave a comment:

• History fan
    replied
    Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
    Should do that for a lot more than just Argentina!

Not exactly Call of Duty is it?
    What happens when you complete the game, do you give up

Still never played being a Fascist Invader should be good fun

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Agreed A bit more iron , a bit more tapping on the table and saying condescendingly 'now you listen to me' and unsympathetic dismissals when dealing with this level of foe, would not go amiss.

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...d-Islands.html

British position remains unchanged; calm, dispassionate condescension - as it should be.

Not exactly Call of Duty is it?

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    A Falklands Update, with the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...d-Islands.html

Originally posted by Article
    Mr Timerman claimed that Britain wants the Falklands as a military base "with high offensive technology close to the Antarctic and close to the only natural waterway between the Atlantic and the Pacific." He called this "a strategic colonialist decision".

Earlier this week, an Argentine technology company unveiled a new version of the 'Counter Strike' video game, in which the Falkland Islands are recaptured.

The map for the video game, which was made available to download on Tuesday, opens with a tribute to the fallen soldiers in the 1982 war. It then switches to the present day, and shows Argentine "police" recapturing the islands from "British terrorists".
    British position remains unchanged; calm, dispassionate condescension - as it should be.

Leave a comment:

• Michele
    replied
    The problems is there is nothing to negotiate. There is no common ground.
    Sure! I did not argue that a negotiated settlement was possible, did I?
    That doesn't mean that it's unsafe to express the wish that the two sides reach an amicable agreement. Popes routinely pray for peace and recommend rulers to strive for that. Rulers often don't heed that.

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by Michele View Post
    ...and ahead of his position as head of Catholicism, which is, I suppose, more important than being the head of the Vatican state.
    Thus my guess is that he will get involved - to the extent that the UN are involved. I.e., he may very well make pleas for a peaceful, negotiated outcome, achieved by mutual consent between the parties.
    As an Argentinean bishop and the head of the Argentinean bishops' conference, he had more leeway in being nationalistic. As the pope, IMHO he will abandon that stance.
    The problems is there is nothing to negotiate. There is no common ground. The islanders want buggar all to do with Argentina any more than 1930's Czechs wanted anything to do with Germany
    I'd like to get my hands on Kelly Brook but unless she's willing to let me land my troops on here rolling hills it's not going to happen. I can't negotiate my way on to them just because I want to...
    Kirschner is being a child and the UN /Americans shouldn't stoop to her age range...

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    If he DID take a stance on the matter as Pope, It's not like it would be the first time perfidious Albion was caught outside the wishes of the Vatican and found enmity the Catholic world. Weather the storm, should it come, you can't do much more than that.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X