• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marktwain
    replied
    sorry wrong picture posted

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Hell no! She was born Martha Helen Kostyra in Jersey City, world-capital of the "Five-Finger Discount." Stewart is her ex-husband's name. She kept it only 'cause it suits her über-WASP self-image.

And I'd still rather ball Christina Kirchner than Martha Stewart.

Transported back to 1959 by a Michevious Doctor Who, Slick rapidly changes his mind...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by marktwain; 14 Dec 12, 06:22.

Leave a comment:

• Michele
    replied
    Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
    Nice try but no cigar. The "settlement" you name was made of thirteen (13) men that as you mentioned were allegedly engaged in piracy. Thirteen men is not a settlement, it's a small circle of friends. The Brits were the one's that actually permanently settled the islands and the current residents are perfectly happy to remain British citizens. So, who is playing colonial power here?
    Besides, the settlement wasn't exactly "Argentinean". Its leader was named Luis Vernet, his second in command was Matthew Brisbane, and most of the people there were of German origin. Yeah, the United Provinces of River Plate had granted Vernet authority - over a piece of land they had no authority over, and interestingly Vernet had played both cards, because he had also repeatedly asked the permission of another government. Guess what government.

The United Provinces' authority over the islands was never recognized either by the british or by anyone else, pointedly the USS Lexington's raid was carried out exactly because US sealers did not recognize the settlement's unilaterally declared monopoly.

Finally, the 13 men mentioned above (plus a couple of women and a few children), by the time they left (they weren't expelled), were certainly no "Argentinean" settlement. They had been led by William Dickson and, under RN instructions, they raised the British flag every time there was a ship in the harbor.

In short, the whole story is a private enterprise that failed, after having tried to play the states involved one against the other. The United Provinces' attempts were nothing but bluffs. The first one was the exploitation of said private enterprise itself. The ones coming to see the bluff weren't the British but the Americans.
    The second bluff was the deployment of military forces. These, however, when the RN appeared, left the place without a fight. That's why they were a bluff.

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
    I don't think anyonehas ever questioned the bravery of the Argentine pilits, just their leadership and their technical competence.

They were a classic developing nation with enough cash to buy adequate weapons systems but without the capability to deploy them properly.
    And again,I suppose it's the Juan Fangio syndrome: the Argentine serviceman might not have been so good at slogging through the mud but given something flashy to play with: it's rather a different story.

Leave a comment:

• Kevinmeath
    replied
    Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
    I don't think anyonehas ever questioned the bravery of the Argentine pilits, just their leadership and their technical competence.

They were a classic developing nation with enough cash to buy adequate weapons systems but without the capability to deploy them properly.
    Many years ago read 'air war South Atlantic' and it seemed to me vry fair and balanced.

It put the Argentine airforce in a good light as very brave and good pilots but naive tactically.
    Such thing as the attacks bravely pressed but un co-ordinated so the small Harrier force wasn't overwhelmed.

Not forcing the Harrier high where it was at a disadvantage but (bravely) meeting it where it was most comfortable.

The RN picket warships attacked -- damgage in flicted (ships sunk) Pride/Honour gained--- but the tansports left alone! fatal and simple mistake.

Leave a comment:

• billscottmorri
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ITALICA ONE
    replied
    Originally posted by queensman View Post
    During the falklands war the argentine air force suffered very heavy casualties and in my humble opinion were very brave with quite a few ditching on the way home.
    Of all there forces they rose to the occasion and took the fight to the british, dont underestimate them.

... .... .. -
    It takes a brave man and unique pilot to go on a war sortie knowing he had the fuel for one way only.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    A Beached vacation in Stanley and /or Goose Green with Martha Stewart! cool:

-- 'I don't think so' attachment removed --
    Bill, like Sean Connery,
    http://www.seanconnery.com/

Suffers from 'too many choices, not enough time.."

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Well.I'm at the point where I'd be gratefull for either...

Hell no! She was born Martha Helen Kostyra in Jersey City, world-capital of the "Five-Finger Discount." Stewart is her ex-husband's name. She kept it only 'cause it suits her über-WASP self-image.

amazing how a change in bathign suits can change a girls physique....
    Then again,I never did understand women..

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    Originally posted by Selous View Post
    It's a Type 45 Destroyer (AAW), it's a bit of a white elephant they say, but given the state of the Argentine air force it might be able to shoot down at least one Argie jet, about 50% of their force.
    During the falklands war the argentine air force suffered very heavy casualties and in my humble opinion were very brave with quite a few ditching on the way home.
    Of all there forces they rose to the occasion and took the fight to the british, dont underestimate them.

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    ^ That's nas-tee.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    oh yeah?

You probably figure her body builder picture is enhanced, too..

Here's a view that might change your mind..
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    I assume you are not referring to Martha Stewart, who is 100% Scottish

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
    What class of British warship do you have pictured, I would like to check out its specs and firepower it relation to anything Argentina may have.
    It's a Type 45 Destroyer (AAW), it's a bit of a white elephant they say, but given the state of the Argentine air force it might be able to shoot down at least one Argie jet, about 50% of their force.

Leave a comment:

• Nickuru
    replied
    I would not mind Martha Stewart with me in a tent. But never that Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner. Does Señora de Kirchner realize what she does to demean and degrade women with her imbecilities?

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    El Presidente reacts to the notion of a Hawaii get away with Queensman...

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
    Who's that Latina beauty?

I assume you are not referring to Martha Stewart, who is 100% Scottish... spot the differencece...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by marktwain; 10 Dec 12, 21:06.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X