X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
    Why did the MOD buy such famousy crap boots? Rain was not a new invention afterall and northern Germany is not exactly known for being arid.
    Because it was the MOD who bought them...

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
    Part of the total sum, yes.

Yup! nothing on Gods Earth can beat a strong, sweet well brewed brew.

Paul
    Leagrave?
    They are now a para artillery unit

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Originally posted by queensman View Post
    201 BTY 100 FIELD ARTILLERY REGT BEDS AND HERTS YEOMANRY ( V ) By any chance?

... .... .. -
    Part of the total sum, yes.

condensed milk in a norgie 10 man flask with 5 massive naffi or rat pack tea bags and a pound of sugar.
    Unbeatable on a cold day and if your working on the range with it you will be suprised how popular you become.
    Real sgt majors tea
    Yup! nothing on Gods Earth can beat a strong, sweet well brewed brew.

Paul
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 15 Dec 12, 11:27.

Leave a comment:

• billscottmorri
    replied
    Why did the MOD buy such famousy crap boots? Rain was not a new invention afterall and northern Germany is not exactly known for being arid.

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    DMS boots, puttees and condensed milk in a tube. Those were the days

Mind you, the condensed milk was lovely, especially when applied to an oatmeal block.

Paul

201 BTY 100 FIELD ARTILLERY REGT BEDS AND HERTS YEOMANRY ( V ) By any chance?

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied

Mind you, the condensed milk was lovely, especially when applied to an oatmeal block.

Paul
    condensed milk in a norgie 10 man flask with 5 massive naffi or rat pack tea bags and a pound of sugar.
    Unbeatable on a cold day and if your working on the range with it you will be suprised how popular you become.
    Real sgt majors tea

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

• billscottmorri
    replied
    I had a meeting recently with colleagues from Chile and Brazil who heaped scorn on the situation in Argentina.

The country seems to have the leadership it deserves as is often the case.

We can expect lots more nonesense from Argentina for some time to come.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    A produc t of the 1970's Grain boom...

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
    I don't think anyonehas ever questioned the bravery of the Argentine pilits, just their leadership and their technical competence.

They were a classic developing nation with enough cash to buy adequate weapons systems but without the capability to deploy them properly.
    Argentina thrived inthe 1970's, despite the inturnal dirty war, based on abundant export harvests at high prices- & was in serious trouble in the early eighties- hence the 'Falklands Circus'.

You also had amilitary Junta with no insight into their own air force- only two air refuelers!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argenti..._Falklands_War

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    The supply line was stretched!

When they sank the atlantic conveyor there were a lot of twitching bottoms among the british top brass, all but one chinook went down, imagine supplying an army with one chinook and a handful of sea kings, wessex and lynx.
    Good job that the average tom is used to carrying everything he needs and extra ammo, pity we had shite boots at the time

... .... .. -
    The War was a magnificent wake up call for All of NATO as well as Britain. My impression was that the Argentine decision to invade was 'spur of the moment'.
    "Command of the under sea'is a concept that no one has ignored since!

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    When they sank the atlantic conveyor there were a lot of twitching bottoms among the british top brass, all but one chinook went down, imagine supplying an army with one chinook and a handful of sea kings, wessex and lynx.
    Good job that the average tom is used to carrying everything he needs and extra ammo, pity we had shite boots at the time

... .... .. -

Paul

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    I found this 'pocket war ' fascinating, if for no other reason than the huge unmeasured bluff by the argentine generals. The spur of the moment planning, & the strange lack of resources to accomplish the task.

For instance, they lacked adequate refuelling aircraft & matching probes, even though used air tankers have been a glut on the market, & could have been purchased under the guise of forest patrol tankers& spray equipment!

The only way they could have won (or stood a chance) was to land massive supplies, including runway pavement, at Stanley in the first week.

After that- submarine alley...

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
    Many years ago read 'air war South Atlantic' and it seemed to me vry fair and balanced.

It put the Argentine airforce in a good light as very brave and good pilots but naive tactically.
    Such thing as the attacks bravely pressed but un co-ordinated so the small Harrier force wasn't overwhelmed.

Not forcing the Harrier high where it was at a disadvantage but (bravely) meeting it where it was most comfortable.

The RN picket warships attacked -- damgage in flicted (ships sunk) Pride/Honour gained--- but the tansports left alone! fatal and simple mistake.

I found this 'pocket war ' fascinating, if for no other reason than the huge unmeasured bluff by the argentine generals. The spur of the moment planning, & the strange lack of resources to accomplish the task.

For instance, they lacked adequate refuelling aircraft & matching probes, even though used air tankers have been a glut on the market, & could have been purchased under the guise of forest patrol tankers& spray equipment!

The only way they could have won (or stood a chance) was to land massive supplies, including runway pavement, at Stanley in the first week.

After that- submarine alley...

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    Originally posted by Michele View Post
    I can read that, I still remember my -- --- .-. ... . !
    But while the margin was narrow, I don't think it was that narrow.
    Ha you are the first one
    its a bit difficult doing it on the cell phone app crapatalk, oops i mean tapatalk.

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

• Michele
    replied

... .... .. -
    I can read that, I still remember my -- --- .-. ... . !
    But while the margin was narrow, I don't think it was that narrow.

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
    Many years ago read 'air war South Atlantic' and it seemed to me vry fair and balanced.

It put the Argentine airforce in a good light as very brave and good pilots but naive tactically.
    Such thing as the attacks bravely pressed but un co-ordinated so the small Harrier force wasn't overwhelmed.

Not forcing the Harrier high where it was at a disadvantage but (bravely) meeting it where it was most comfortable.

The RN picket warships attacked -- damgage in flicted (ships sunk) Pride/Honour gained--- but the tansports left alone! fatal and simple mistake.
    Thank god for there mistakes.
    The whole campaign was on a knife edge from the begining.

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

• asterix
    New York AG to sue the NRA
    by asterix
    New York Attorney General Letitia James launches lawsuit against the National Rifle Association alleging financial discrepancies:

https...
    Today, 05:46
  • casanova
    Emanuel Macron
    by casanova
    The French president Emmanuel Macron visited Beirut, Libanon. He watched the devastation in the city, caused by the Amoniumnitrat explosion....
    Today, 01:27
  • casanova
    Beirut
    by casanova
    A awful, dedoerate situation for the population in Beirut, Libanon. A Amoniumnitrat-explosion was the cause of the catastrophe....
    Yesterday, 23:35
Working...
X