• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selous
    replied
    Today's news on Mrs K and the Falklands;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...Falklands.html

"Argentina once again has been attacked by speculative funds, and by others who threaten to come 12,000 kilometres (7,450 miles) to invade and militarise our Malvinas" (Falkland Islands), a defiant President Kirchner said earlier.

She was referring to Mr Cameron, and the fund that had held the Argentine ship.

"We say to them, proudly and with conviction: what we see before us today is a lesson for history," Mrs Kirchner told thousands of tourists lining the port of Mar del Plata as the ship the Libertad – impounded in Ghana for 78 days until it was ordered freed by a UN court in December – finally arrived back home.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    In the case of Gib and the Falklands, the people there, who wish to remain British, are the colonisers according to that facet of UN law, therefore their wishes don't count. It's a void referendum, according to the legal beagles backing the Spannish/Argentine claim.
    I agree with you on the case of the UN, Chris

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    Originally posted by Selous View Post
    Certainly, though the counter-argument is that a 'colonial people' 's decision 'doesn't count' under UN 'law' (apparently, I've never looked into that bit).
    According to the UN the only valid option for "colonized people" is independence.

This is the reason why the UN has been quiet about the recent Puerto Rican referendum: because 94% voted against independence and they voted for statehood (integration) into the United States.

As far as I am concerned the UN can go screw themselves. They have no business lecturing Bermuda or Gibraltar or Puerto Rico as to what they should do.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    If you read much of the Spannish press (as I've idly done now'n then, but can't say as I've read a lot), you get the impression it's a veritable Tortuga, like in the Disney pirates film - a haven for smugglers and other ne'er do wells. Even if they're correct, it could still be a lucrative place on their doorstep, doubly so perhaps.
    You notice the same demands in the Spanish press to return The Spanish enclaves on the Morocco coast to The Berbers...

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    If you read much of the Spannish press (as I've idly done now'n then, but can't say as I've read a lot), you get the impression it's a veritable Tortuga, like in the Disney pirates film - a haven for smugglers and other ne'er do wells. Even if they're correct, it could still be a lucrative place on their doorstep, doubly so perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    The med stopped being part of British strategic focus a little while after abandoning the East of Suez role, give or take 10 - 15 years.
    Our defense interests are closely allied to the US these days, which means keeping Gib is beneficial for the US, in turn beneficial for us. The USN regularly docks its subs at Gib.
    Re-taking Gibraltar for Spain has support that is a mile wide & six inches deep

.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17635879

Gibraltar isthe economic engine's start button for Southern Spain.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17635879

After three hundred years its no more a foriegn colony than The Channel islands are to France, or the parts of Germany encased by Swiss territory are to the Swiss.

But a vote is a vote is a vote...

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Certainly, though the counter-argument is that a 'colonial people' 's decision 'doesn't count' under UN 'law' (apparently, I've never looked into that bit).

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    Not to mention that the people of Gibraltar overwhelmingly wish to remain a British Overseas Territory. 98% of them voted to remain British in a 2002 referendum. It's often said that the Gibraltarians are more British than the British themselves!

I suspect we will see a similar figure in the upcoming Falkland Islands referendum.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    The med stopped being part of British strategic focus a little while after abandoning the East of Suez role, give or take 10 - 15 years.
    Our defense interests are closely allied to the US these days, which means keeping Gib is beneficial for the US, in turn beneficial for us. The USN regularly docks its subs at Gib.

Leave a comment:

• redcoat
    replied
    Originally posted by queensman View Post
    british, as for the rock, that's just too strategic to give back
    ... .... .. -
    It's only strategic if you intend to control the mediterranean, and as far as I'm aware we gave up that idea after Suez. In truth the only reason we keep it is because the locals also want to remain under British control.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    I always found Gilbraltar takeovers by Spain rather silly

Stupid as it sounds, a part of me wants the argies to try there luck again.
    I dont think they would even get boots on the ground next time.
    At least it would stop the whining and bleating from the constant pre menstural premier who is running a very dysfunctional country. Its a beautiful country ran by arrseholes.

A bit like mine.
    Next thing you know Spain will be saying Gibralter was stolen from them, when we all know they lost it in a bet, i know this because a bloke in the pub told me, his grandfathers uncles triplet grandkids were there.
    Or the chinese will say hong kong is theres when its obvious we are just lending it to them for a couple of hundred years.
    Its the bloody belgians you need to watch out for, with all the sneaky euro laws that they are using to conquer europe then the rest of the world, backed by germany and france who keep sneaking behind the bycicle sheds for a quicky.

Oh where was i? yes i remember.
    The falkland islands.
    Argentinia fcuk off its ours as long as the bennies want to be british.
    You might get it in a hundred years after all the gas and oil thats been found are exhausted.

... .... .. -
    I mean,just how eager is Spain to let the Ceuta Peoples liberation Front rejoin \morocco

They have rather -plus the interest on the [email protected] bribe money won in spades by selling water,produce,BEER and WINE to Gibral - Tars, right?
    Last edited by marktwain; 08 Jan 13, 11:59.

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    i already know we stole it because i saw it being put in the back of a truck.
    I wondered how long it would be before they found out
    The british empire is no more but the falkland islanders want to remain british, as for the rock, thats just too strategic to give back
    ... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied

Next thing you know Spain will be saying Gibralter was stolen from them
    They do already; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20341739

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    Stupid as it sounds, a part of me wants the argies to try there luck again.
    I dont think they would even get boots on the ground next time.
    At least it would stop the whining and bleating from the constant pre menstural premier who is running a very dysfunctional country. Its a beautiful country ran by arrseholes.

A bit like mine.
    Next thing you know Spain will be saying Gibralter was stolen from them, when we all know they lost it in a bet, i know this because a bloke in the pub told me, his grandfathers uncles triplet grandkids were there.
    Or the chinese will say hong kong is theres when its obvious we are just lending it to them for a couple of hundred years.
    Its the bloody belgians you need to watch out for, with all the sneaky euro laws that they are using to conquer europe then the rest of the world, backed by germany and france who keep sneaking behind the bycicle sheds for a quicky.

Oh where was i? yes i remember.
    The falkland islands.
    Argentinia fcuk off its ours as long as the bennies want to be british.
    You might get it in a hundred years after all the gas and oil thats been found are exhausted.

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8439971.html
    Argentina be warned

... .... .. -

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X