Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickuru
    replied
    If anyone has a right to the Falkland Islands it is Uruguay and not Argentina. Argentina declared independence from Spain in 1808, then the seat of the Virreinato del Rio de la Plata became Montevideo. Uruguay administered the remaining territories since Paraguay under Gaspar Rodriguez de Francia declared independence from both Spain and Argentina, in 1809, and closed the borders. Uruguay only ceased to be the seat of the Viceroyalty of the River Plate on independence in 1828.

If anyone has a claim to the islands other than Britain it would be Uruguay. But relations with the Falkland Islanders are great right now so there is no need for a land grab. Uruguay has a bustling trade with the Falkland Islands. Students from the Falklands go to university in Montevideo. Viva Falkland Islands fish and chips!
    Last edited by Nickuru; 18 Mar 13, 15:31. Reason: addition

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
    He is entitled to his opinion. We are entitled to ignore it.
    He'd be very foolish to get involved in this because it would be seen that he's putting ihis nationality ahead of his position as head othe Vatican state and also it would distract from much bigger problems he has to face...

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    His answer will be very revealing. His past statements reveal that he was an Argentine nationalist. Can he still be a nationalist and Pope?

Leave a comment:

• DARKPLACE
    replied
    He is entitled to his opinion. We are entitled to ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• Post Captain
    replied
    Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner says she has asked for the Pope's intervention in the Falklands dispute between her country and the UK.
    BBC News - Argentina's Kirchner raises Falklands with Pope Francis

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Interestign point!

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
    Say do you also believe that St. Pierre & Miquelon belong to Canada and not France? Shall the United States claim Bermuda because it's near North Carolina? Shall we also claim the British Virgin Islands just because they are next to the US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico? Hell why don't we just claim Canada?
    In 1941 De Gaulle& the local navy Commander packed up the "HALIFAX Free French ' on a canadian corvette & 'invaded the islands'.

the local vichy govenor called out the militia- which promptly joined de Gaulle..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

thye ahve AFAIR, a standign offer to join Newfoundland , but then they woudl have to become tri- lingual

Leave a comment:

• Anacreon
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    adfair, THE ARGENTINIAN VIEW AS THAT they were reclaiming occupied Argentien Land in a 'police action', hence no warning. \ It does appear that tyhey woudl have asked the RM to surrender.

Raather lawyer weaselly, I would say...
    I've never seen anything to suggest that they demanded a surrender during the attack on Moody Brook. They just threw in phosphorous grenades and hosed the place down with MG fire. (Although, to be completely fair, the Argentines claim they didn't shoot up the barracks and only used tear gas. Then again, I'll take the word of the garrison commander over that of the Argentine commandos any day.)

They didn't bother asking for a surrender until after they realised they couldn't kill the garrison in their beds.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    There was no declaration of war

Originally posted by Michele View Post
    That would depend on having issued anything at least vaguely resembling a declaration of war beforehand, or not. Anything like that, that you know?
    adfair, THE ARGENTINIAN VIEW AS THAT they were reclaiming occupied Argentien Land in a 'police action', hence no warning. \ It does appear that tyhey woudl have asked the RM to surrender.

Raather lawyer weaselly, I would say...

Leave a comment:

• Michele
    replied
    Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
    They didn't...
    A pity. That would probably qualify as a crime against peace.

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by Michele View Post
    That would depend on having issued anything at least vaguely resembling a declaration of war beforehand, or not. Anything like that, that you know?
    They didn't...

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
    I understand your view, I now see how my comments may be taken in a different light which were not my original intentions. I will choose my words more carfully in the future.

Death bed last words. Always pay the Legions, Septimius Severus
    Thankyou....

Leave a comment:

• ITALICA ONE
    replied
    Dont advocate Argentine troops attacking my fellow countrymen as a (your words) and you wont get a response you don't like....
    I understand your view, I now see how my comments may be taken in a different light which were not my original intentions. I will choose my words more carfully in the future.

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
    I dont know what Trolling is and I dont care. If my comments are going to solicite literary attacks on my being then I will cease on this subject.

Dont advocate Argentine troops attacking my fellow countrymen as a
    "a parting jab at my pro British members"
    (your words) and you wont get a response you don't like....

Leave a comment:

• ITALICA ONE
    replied
    So basically you're a self confessed troll.Trolling, trying to bait us with a hope that they invade which would involve killing our fellow countrymen....

Classy guy!
    I dont know what Trolling is and I dont care. If my comments are going to solicite literary attacks on my being then I will cease on this subject.

Leave a comment:

• Michele
    replied
    I'd call it trying murder a load of people in their sleep...

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

• asterix
    New York AG to sue the NRA
    by asterix
    New York Attorney General Letitia James launches lawsuit against the National Rifle Association alleging financial discrepancies:

https...
    Today, 05:46
  • casanova
    Emanuel Macron
    by casanova
    The French president Emmanuel Macron visited Beirut, Libanon. He watched the devastation in the city, caused by the Amoniumnitrat explosion....
    Today, 01:27
  • casanova
    Beirut
    by casanova
    A awful, dedoerate situation for the population in Beirut, Libanon. A Amoniumnitrat-explosion was the cause of the catastrophe....
    Yesterday, 23:35
Working...
X