Argentine government to undermine Falklands Referendum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    adfair, THE ARGENTINIAN VIEW AS THAT they were reclaiming occupied Argentien Land in a 'police action', hence no warning. \ It does appear that tyhey woudl have asked the RM to surrender.

Raather lawyer weaselly, I would say...
    I've never seen anything to suggest that they demanded a surrender during the attack on Moody Brook. They just threw in phosphorous grenades and hosed the place down with MG fire. (Although, to be completely fair, the Argentines claim they didn't shoot up the barracks and only used tear gas. Then again, I'll take the word of the garrison commander over that of the Argentine commandos any day.)

They didn't bother asking for a surrender until after they realised they couldn't kill the garrison in their beds.
    Diadochi Rising Wargame:
    King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

• Interestign point!

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
      Say do you also believe that St. Pierre & Miquelon belong to Canada and not France? Shall the United States claim Bermuda because it's near North Carolina? Shall we also claim the British Virgin Islands just because they are next to the US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico? Hell why don't we just claim Canada?
      In 1941 De Gaulle& the local navy Commander packed up the "HALIFAX Free French ' on a canadian corvette & 'invaded the islands'.

the local vichy govenor called out the militia- which promptly joined de Gaulle..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

thye ahve AFAIR, a standign offer to join Newfoundland , but then they woudl have to become tri- lingual
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner says she has asked for the Pope's intervention in the Falklands dispute between her country and the UK.
        BBC News - Argentina's Kirchner raises Falklands with Pope Francis
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

• He is entitled to his opinion. We are entitled to ignore it.
          "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

• His answer will be very revealing. His past statements reveal that he was an Argentine nationalist. Can he still be a nationalist and Pope?
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
              He is entitled to his opinion. We are entitled to ignore it.
              He'd be very foolish to get involved in this because it would be seen that he's putting ihis nationality ahead of his position as head othe Vatican state and also it would distract from much bigger problems he has to face...

Comment

• If anyone has a right to the Falkland Islands it is Uruguay and not Argentina. Argentina declared independence from Spain in 1808, then the seat of the Virreinato del Rio de la Plata became Montevideo. Uruguay administered the remaining territories since Paraguay under Gaspar Rodriguez de Francia declared independence from both Spain and Argentina, in 1809, and closed the borders. Uruguay only ceased to be the seat of the Viceroyalty of the River Plate on independence in 1828.

If anyone has a claim to the islands other than Britain it would be Uruguay. But relations with the Falkland Islanders are great right now so there is no need for a land grab. Uruguay has a bustling trade with the Falkland Islands. Students from the Falklands go to university in Montevideo. Viva Falkland Islands fish and chips!
                Last edited by Nickuru; 18 Mar 13, 15:31. Reason: addition
                When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nș 8
                Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
                "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

• Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                  He'd be very foolish to get involved in this because it would be seen that he's putting ihis nationality ahead of his position as head othe Vatican state and also it would distract from much bigger problems he has to face...
                  ...and ahead of his position as head of Catholicism, which is, I suppose, more important than being the head of the Vatican state.
                  Thus my guess is that he will get involved - to the extent that the UN are involved. I.e., he may very well make pleas for a peaceful, negotiated outcome, achieved by mutual consent between the parties.
                  As an Argentinean bishop and the head of the Argentinean bishops' conference, he had more leeway in being nationalistic. As the pope, IMHO he will abandon that stance.
                  Michele

Comment

• If he DID take a stance on the matter as Pope, It's not like it would be the first time perfidious Albion was caught outside the wishes of the Vatican and found enmity the Catholic world. Weather the storm, should it come, you can't do much more than that.
                    ------
                    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• Originally posted by Michele View Post
                      ...and ahead of his position as head of Catholicism, which is, I suppose, more important than being the head of the Vatican state.
                      Thus my guess is that he will get involved - to the extent that the UN are involved. I.e., he may very well make pleas for a peaceful, negotiated outcome, achieved by mutual consent between the parties.
                      As an Argentinean bishop and the head of the Argentinean bishops' conference, he had more leeway in being nationalistic. As the pope, IMHO he will abandon that stance.
                      The problems is there is nothing to negotiate. There is no common ground. The islanders want buggar all to do with Argentina any more than 1930's Czechs wanted anything to do with Germany
                      I'd like to get my hands on Kelly Brook but unless she's willing to let me land my troops on here rolling hills it's not going to happen. I can't negotiate my way on to them just because I want to...
                      Kirschner is being a child and the UN /Americans shouldn't stoop to her age range...

Comment

The problems is there is nothing to negotiate. There is no common ground.
                        Sure! I did not argue that a negotiated settlement was possible, did I?
                        That doesn't mean that it's unsafe to express the wish that the two sides reach an amicable agreement. Popes routinely pray for peace and recommend rulers to strive for that. Rulers often don't heed that.
                        Michele

Comment

• A Falklands Update, with the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...d-Islands.html

Originally posted by Article
                          Mr Timerman claimed that Britain wants the Falklands as a military base "with high offensive technology close to the Antarctic and close to the only natural waterway between the Atlantic and the Pacific." He called this "a strategic colonialist decision".

Earlier this week, an Argentine technology company unveiled a new version of the 'Counter Strike' video game, in which the Falkland Islands are recaptured.

The map for the video game, which was made available to download on Tuesday, opens with a tribute to the fallen soldiers in the 1982 war. It then switches to the present day, and shows Argentine "police" recapturing the islands from "British terrorists".
                          British position remains unchanged; calm, dispassionate condescension - as it should be.
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Selous View Post
                            http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...d-Islands.html

British position remains unchanged; calm, dispassionate condescension - as it should be.
                            Should do that for a lot more than just Argentina!

Not exactly Call of Duty is it?

Comment

Agreed A bit more iron , a bit more tapping on the table and saying condescendingly 'now you listen to me' and unsympathetic dismissals when dealing with this level of foe, would not go amiss.
                              ------

Comment

Not exactly Call of Duty is it?
                                What happens when you complete the game, do you give up

Still never played being a Fascist Invader should be good fun

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X