Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selous
    replied
    Even in the Reagan administration (a man who was knighted for the subtle help he gave, alongside Weinburger) little was done, well, I say little, quite a bit here and there, but nothing sizeable, unless the offer of borrowing a carrier was more than scuttlebutt.

Leave a comment:

• frisco17
    replied
    Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
    Don't bet on it...
    I would certainly hope we would do something about it. Though I wouldn't be on it either under the current administration.

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    i would not disagree with you on that.
    Pity really, if argentina war a muslim or pro muslim country, everyone would be tripping over each other to help.
    The argies are hot headed and a bit rash they know it would be a massive mistake to attempt another invasion. but will they ever see sense?

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by queensman View Post
    With Britain answering the call of the usa and nato after 9/11 I would like to think that nato would standby a member country that is being attacked.
    Don't bet on it...

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
    Nice boat.

If the Argentinians get desperate enough to do something stupid again there is very little chance that it would be a re-run of the last time.

An Argie fleet setting out for Port Stanley would not have a few dozen Royal Marines to deal with, it would be much much tougher and if they did get ashore they would probably find their ports closed by a close RN blockade with their expeditionary force starving within a month.

I am not sure exactly what the MOD has on the islands to fend of an Argie attack but it must be a lot more than some shoulder launched anti tank missiles like last time.
    Not as many as you may think, about 1500 all together mostly RAF. Some Royal Marines and a resident infantry company, it used to be a battalion until about 1990 i think.
    They do make up for it in the hardware available now and the falkland defence force are very motivated and well trained.
    With Britain answering the call of the usa and nato after 9/11 I would like to think that nato would standby a member country that is being attacked.
    The British armed forces have been punching well above there weight for a long time and had a lot of casualties for its size.
    They may not be the best equipped army in the world but they are probably the best trained and best led for its size

Leave a comment:

• billscottmorri
    replied
    Nice boat.

If the Argentinians get desperate enough to do something stupid again there is very little chance that it would be a re-run of the last time.

An Argie fleet setting out for Port Stanley would not have a few dozen Royal Marines to deal with, it would be much much tougher and if they did get ashore they would probably find their ports closed by a close RN blockade with their expeditionary force starving within a month.

I am not sure exactly what the MOD has on the islands to fend of an Argie attack but it must be a lot more than some shoulder launched anti tank missiles like last time.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Originally posted by queensman View Post
    It would appear that the Argentine government is up to its usual tricks
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...sh-cruise-ship
    We used to blow up ports belonging to Banana Republics that did nonsense like this. I say it's a time to return to form. At least do a figure of 8 in Argie bargie waters with one of these.

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    It would appear that the Argentine government is up to its usual tricks
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...sh-cruise-ship

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
    I have already posted quite a bit on this subject and I am frankly tired of repeating myself. I recommend that you do a bit of research on the history of the Falklands before you go galloping to the defense of Argentina and you can start by looking up my previous posts.
    Now you know that's you've been at ACG too long.

Leave a comment:

• Nickuru
    replied
    Having lived in Uruguay, and met Argentines, I can honestly say those people should start straightening out their own problems.

Argentina has been fond of wars throughout its history and this is another effort to distract from their disastrous situation. This could end up as the South American equivalent of the Russian Revolution. I would flag this with a yellow, the argentines still do not get it. And this after over 200 years of trying to run their own affairs in a land of natural riches which have been hopelessly mismanaged throughout its history.
    Last edited by Nickuru; 04 Dec 12, 22:14. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
    So whether or not Australia becomes a republic is nothing to do with 'Australians' but only the aborigional people?

Could the British crown as the native Americans if they could have the 13 colonies back?
    No and no. The native American tribes were a collections of individual nations conquered piecemeal; they were divided so they were conquered. I am not sure what the exact situation was and is with Australia's aboriginal peoples but to the best of my knowledge they are nomadic peoples a good deal more primitive than native Americans. Either way if you open that Pandora's Box where do you stop? As I have pointed out before, Italy has much more of a claim on Corsica than Argentina has on the Falklands and that is hardly the only example.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
    So whether or not Australia becomes a republic is nothing to do with 'Australians' but only the aborigional people?

Could the British crown as the native Americans if they could have the 13 colonies back?
    It's full of all kinds of logic loopholes I'd imagine, but that's probably fairly typical of international law. If a picture paints a thousand words, I have but one to offer on the issue of the Argentine legal claim;

Leave a comment:

• Kevinmeath
    replied
    Originally posted by Selous View Post
    I think it relates more to elections on whether they want to be part of such and such z country or independent, etc, such as Falklands and Gib, rather than the internal elections to decide whose in charge. Hence the UN's involvment, as it's inter, not intra-state.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Originally posted by redcoat View Post
    Does that mean all the elections in the USA over the last 224 years are invalid
    I think it relates more to elections on whether they want to be part of such and such z country or independent, etc, such as Falklands and Gib, rather than the internal elections to decide whose in charge. Hence the UN's involvment, as it's inter, not intra-state.

Leave a comment:

• redcoat
    replied
    Originally posted by Selous View Post
    On a recent article I wrote about Gib, some snarky commentator pointed out that under UN law a vote to remain in place, if conducted by a 'settler' or 'colonial' people doesn't count as they're there 'illegally'. Good luck getting the police force to carry out that 'law.
    Does that mean all the elections in the USA over the last 224 years are invalid

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X