Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentina & commodity prices

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
    Agree with Cope, there's nothing worse when one side is huffing and puffing for a verbal dust up, and the other side remains silent-all married me know this

Regards
    teh only senario that may change is if the present commodities boom , due to the drought in the USA & China, gives Ms Kirchner an unexpected wad of cash. The 1973 oil price boom turned Sadaam Hussien from a tin pot no body into a regional player.

For instace, Russia has a huge selection of Sea going old stuff that they may happily trade for Argentine Beef & Barley

Query: do you British chaps feel that the Royal Navy should build a rudimentary Ship harbour on Tristan de Cunha, in case a regional staging area is needed?
    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Who needs referendums when you've got the IMF, bob geldof will be doing ArgieAid 2014 if anybody cares to donate.
      Sealion would have failed..............runs,

Comment

• Originally posted by Selous View Post
        Certainly, though the counter-argument is that a 'colonial people' 's decision 'doesn't count' under UN 'law' (apparently, I've never looked into that bit).
        I have my doubts, though this may well be what the Argentineans are trying to peddle.
        The UN resolutions only insist that the issue be solved by negotiations among the two countries, and avoid mentioning other factors. They do call it a colonial issue; they do not deny the right of self-determination, that would be astounding considering that it's enshrined in the UN Charter.
        Michele

Comment

• Originally posted by Michele View Post
          I have my doubts, though this may well be what the Argentineans are trying to peddle.
          The UN resolutions only insist that the issue be solved by negotiations among the two countries, and avoid mentioning other factors. They do call it a colonial issue; they do not deny the right of self-determination, that would be astounding considering that it's enshrined in the UN Charter.
          Agreed, and I think we all know how effective the UN is in solving disputes, Argentina will not give two figs for the result but it will have the UN in a bind on the issue and Argentinas regional support is on the wane too.

Many CELAC nations are sending observers in spite of Argentinas pleas not to,
          refer to these comments from Uruguay

http://en.mercopress.com/2013/02/11/...torial-dispute

It hints at thoughts of others too,

Brazil I believe are simply blowing smoke to placate a neighbour from hell, they banned falkland flagged ships yes but accept UK flagged ships no matter point of origin.

Chile has no interest in seeing the Falklands change hands and infact more interest in seeing that the status quo is maintained,

For one Chile and the Argies have competing claims for spots in the area, and crucially Chile has a dispute with Bolivia on part of its territory, this territory was won by Chile long after 1833 when the Brits supposedly usurped Argentina squaters, winning that land left Bolivia with no seafront and the Bolivians claim the land black.

To see Argentina get the Falklands would create an unpleasant precident for Chile, unaffordable to them even.

Think that this year will see Argentinian diplomatic efforts completely thumped for this round bar a faint whimper.

Timmermans recent visit to London was a God send, he even made the gaffe of refering to the Falklands as "the British Islands", he is comedy gold.

Ive forgot his name but Timmerman reminds me of that Iraqi military spokesman years ago, claiming Iraq was winning the war easily whilst a US tank was in the background, comedy gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by UGLYGUTS View Post
            Ive forgot his name but Timmerman reminds me of that Iraqi military spokesman years ago, claiming Iraq was winning the war easily whilst a US tank was in the background, comedy gold.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf

Well, Comical Ali was in another order of magnitude, considered that there was a war going on. But he's the guy you had in mind.
            Michele

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf

Well, Comical Ali was in another order of magnitude, considered that there was a war going on. But he's the guy you had in mind.
              Thats the one, legend!

Comment

• Residents of the Falkland Islands voted overwhelmingly to remain a British Overseas Territory, an official said late Monday.
                The question put to voters was: "Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?"
                More than 99% of voters said yes, according to Darren Christie, public relations manager for the Falklands Islands government. Just three people voted no. Turnout was 92%.
                "Speaks for itself, I think," Christie said about the vote.
                http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/11/wo...ds-referendum/
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• The score:
                  1,517 for remaining part of the UK.
                  3 for the Argentinian option.

So how was the Argentinians undermining plan doing again?
                  Winnie says
                  ---------------------------------
                  "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                  Herr Flick.

Comment

• Awesome job Falkland Islanders

I believe the 99.8% vote broke the all time record of Gibraltar's 99.6% in favor of remaining British in 1967. I believe the Gibraltar 2002 referendum was only about 98.8% in favor of staying British ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Listy View Post

So how was the Argentinians undermining plan doing again?
                      Well, the usual. They only listen to what they want to hear and say what's predictable of them.

They wanted no foreign observers to give democratic legitimation to the referendum, and they failed. The Uruguayan parliamentarians who were there as observers were criticized by the Uruguayan government - they were minority MPs. Apart from that unsavory detail, the observers came from several countries, and their preliminary report - as one would expect - validates the voting procedures.

But the Argentineans will just say that the referendum should be ignored, so back to square one.
                      Michele

Comment

But the Argentineans will just say that the referendum should be ignored, so back to square one.
                        Until one points to the UN charter that Argantina signed up too. Something like Article one on the first page is the important bit.

Either way the Argantinians stomping around and huffing and puffing is ammusing from our point of view, nothing more. We know they're impotent apart from teddy projection sessions.
                        Winnie says
                        ---------------------------------
                        "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                        Herr Flick.

Comment

• Well not much Argentina can say about a vote like that, but when it comes to the Malvinas the Argies dont believe in Democracy, future events should be quite interesting to watch, the present situation resembles 1982 in so many ways. Hell, we may wake up tommorow to a surprise Argentine invasion. Goodnight all, Viva las Malvinas

Death bed last words, Always pay the Legions, Septimius Severus

http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/...d_islands.html
                          Last edited by ITALICA ONE; 12 Mar 13, 23:07. Reason: wrong link

Comment

• Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
                            Well not much Argentina can say about a vote like that, but when it comes to the Malvinas the Argies dont believe in Democracy, future events should be quite interesting to watch, the present situation resembles 1982 in so many ways.
                            But not in the one important way. Back then, the Argentineans could sneak into the area and overpower a couple companies of Royal marines. Today, if they try anything, they'll be defeated. The ships will be sunk by a British submarine, and any aircraft will be downed beyond their effective range by British fighters. End of the surprise.

Hell, we may wake up tommorow to a surprise Argentine invasion. Goodnight all, Viva las Malvinas
                            Seems like wishful thinking. See above. Read something about the British military presence and readiness, and the Argentinean military capabilities and readiness.
                            Michele

Comment

• Seems like wishful thinking. See above. Read something about the British military presence and readiness, and the Argentinean military capabilities and readiness.
                              Theirs enough senseless wars and killing going on right now I dont wish for another scrap between Argentina and Britian my comment was just a parting jab at my pro British members. Although I do believe the Islands are rightfully Argentina's, but then again all anyone has to do is check my previous postings regarding the subject.

Death bed last words. Always pay the Legions, Septimius Severus

http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/...d_islands.html
                              Last edited by GCoyote; 14 Mar 13, 11:50. Reason: fixed [quote] tag

Comment

• Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
                                ian my comment was just a parting jab at my pro British members. ]
                                So basically you're a self confessed troll.Trolling, trying to bait us with a hope that they invade which would involve killing our fellow countrymen....

Classy guy!
                                Last edited by copenhagen; 13 Mar 13, 11:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X